Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-23-2007, 10:44 AM   #1
Matuku

Default Open Source World-Building

This is a little project my previous gaming group underwent with good results; the basic principal is "a world built by the community, for the community". We wanted a good, rich world in which to run a series of campaigns and so we all took on the task, each person developing a race, country, continent or even just a town or city but doing so with a good level of NPCs, history and world-design involved.

I'm looking to do this again, and I'm asking for your help ("Yes, you!"). Anyone who wants to design anything: a map, a race, a history, or just one NPC would be most welcome. Eventually I hope to put this altogether in a properly designed PDF and give it back to the community to use as they will.

I'm not picky about genre, time-phase, etc but space-travel enabled maps make it trickier. (Actually my original group's plan was to make a fantasy map, then accelerate time by about 2000 years and so have two separate time periods in which to play).

Any takers?
Matuku

Last edited by Matuku; 05-24-2007 at 06:00 AM.
Matuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:14 PM   #2
Furabo

Default Re: Open Source World-Building

I could be up for that.

On a side thought, I'd actually played around with trying to do a hybrid Lexicon-Wiki/role-playing game. Bear with me. For those of you who might be unfamiliar with this notion, the article that sparked my interest is here.

The Lexicon game involves creating a world through writing articles, moving through the alphabet. I was thinking about changing this around slightly--to hybridize it so that as PCs are adventuring, they are also developing articles, filling in bits of history, etc. I never really fleshed out the details, but I chuck it out for anyone else who might like to chew on it.

But at any rate, regardless of Wikis, Wikkans, etc., I could be interested in helping to develop some things.
Furabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:18 PM   #3
Matuku

Hmm, thats not something I had considered but doing this as a wiki might be the easiest way actually.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:50 PM   #4
nanoboy

Presumably, the world would need a few seeds from someone to start. I think that perhaps a regional map and a few guidelines would be a good way to begin. The guidelines might indicate the genre, TL restrictions, theological limitations, and a few other things like that. I would be immensely interested in such a project.
nanoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:51 PM   #5
Matuku

Well it all depends what people are willing to work on; I'm personally leaning towards around TL4-5 Fantasy as the basis; whichever one is "The Age of Sail" as this puts all points of the world within reach but keeps them separate enough that legends and myths are still unsolved. The fantasy aspect allows the possibility to branch into separate planes (Hell, Heavens, etc).

But I'm entirely open to what others want to do above anything else.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:48 PM   #6
nanoboy

Okay, cool. If you start it up, let us know the URL, and I'll be happy to contribute, as inspiration hits.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:34 PM   #7
ravenfish

Golden Age of sail (Columbus, Drake, Pirates, all that) is TL4. TL5 is start of the industrial revolution. Still sailing ships, though wide-scale industrialization is not a common theme for fantasy, I understand.
ravenfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:42 PM   #8
trechriron

I would love to try my hand at a map.

Earth scale in size? How would you like the lay of the land?

A world of long island chains with mini-continents could be interesting...
My Blog
trechriron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:54 PM   #9
Incard

I'd love to contribute. You want TL4ish fantasy stuff, correct? What's confusing me is your mention of space travel. Would you like contributers to add something to one community-world or add a world to a community-universe?
Old 05-23-2007, 06:58 PM   #10
nanoboy

You mention TL4 or 5 because of a desire for open-ocean sailing, which is great. You also mention the desire for a space part, too. I would hold off a bit. Open-source things tend to grow over time, so consider that eventual expansion may occur naturally and organically. If you want a well fleshed out setting, you will not want the starting area to be too big. You'll get development of a lot of areas that are unconnected, and the setting will be kind of sparse. I would say the same thing about the starting map. You probably don't want to start with a globe but instead a region, maybe the size of the Mediterranean.