Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-26-2016, 04:34 PM   #1
Erling

Default Several questions about Arm Lock

1. Me and my enemy have grappled each other. He uses only one hand for grappling. On my turn I apply Arm Lock to the enemy's grappling hand (arm). Does that mean he automatically loses his grip?

2. Me and my enemy have grappled each other. He uses both hands for grappling. On my turn I apply Arm Lock to one of his arms. Does that mean he automatically loses his grip with both hands?

3. Me and my enemy have grappled each other. He uses both hands for grappling. On my turn I apply Arm Lock to the enemy. Say, he still has me grappled. On my next turn I use "passive" opportunity to inflict 4 HP as injury and then I immediately try to Break Free as my maneuver. Will my enemy suffer from -4 shock penalty as per Pain and Breaking Free (MA119)?

4. I apply Arm Lock to the enemy using both hands. On my next turn I punch him, though I keep Arm Lock with my other hand. I assume that I can't claim +5 and +4 bonuses in Quick Contest against enemy's attempts to Break Free, as per The Sound of One Hand Grappling. Will my enemy still suffer from -4 penalty to active defenses? If not, what's the benefit from one-handed Arm Lock? Only penalized "free" attempts to hurt the enemy?
Wave your arms and shout.
Erling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:17 AM   #2
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Several questions about Arm Lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erling View Post
1. Me and my enemy have grappled each other. He uses only one hand for grappling. On my turn I apply Arm Lock to the enemy's grappling hand (arm). Does that mean he automatically loses his grip?
I'm not 100% sure. It seems logical that yes, once you succeed with all the rolls and the enemy fails all the defences.

Quote:
2. Me and my enemy have grappled each other. He uses both hands for grappling. On my turn I apply Arm Lock to one of his arms. Does that mean he automatically loses his grip with both hands?
He shouldn't. See MA116: Sound of One Hand Grappling for the penalties he suffers as a result, though (assuming the answer in #1 is correct).

Quote:
3. Me and my enemy have grappled each other. He uses both hands for grappling. On my turn I apply Arm Lock to the enemy. Say, he still has me grappled. On my next turn I use "passive" opportunity to inflict 4 HP as injury and then I immediately try to Break Free as my maneuver. Will my enemy suffer from -4 shock penalty as per Pain and Breaking Free (MA119)?
I don't see a reason why in this case Shock shouldn't behave as it normally does.

Quote:
4. I apply Arm Lock to the enemy using both hands. On my next turn I punch him, though I keep Arm Lock with my other hand. I assume that I can't claim +5 and +4 bonuses in Quick Contest against enemy's attempts to Break Free, as per The Sound of One Hand Grappling. Will my enemy still suffer from -4 penalty to active defenses? If not, what's the benefit from one-handed Arm Lock? Only penalized "free" attempts to hurt the enemy?
According to MA116, the extra bonuses are ditched, but there's no mention of ditching the Active Defence penalty. Plus free damage is actually quite useful, as is the right to perform Throws From Locks (which are nasty!).
Old 03-28-2016, 02:40 AM   #3
Erling

Default Re: Several questions about Arm Lock

Thanks for the answers, vicky.

The reason I put those question was my wish to find a way to Break Free via skill, not brute force. +5 for two-handed grip can prevent most attempts to Break Free unless grappled character will find an opportunity to mitigate that modifier. Throws don't always work, e.g. enemy can be in kneeling posture.

Quote:
I'm not 100% sure. It seems logical that yes, once you succeed with all the rolls and the enemy fails all the defences.
B403 states that crippling the arm will force enemy to drop anything he could hold in his hand. That's why I'm not sure if authors suggested that Arm Lock automatically ruins enemy's grip.

The other way for "skill-based" breaking free I can suggest is spinning the enemy (MA118). Perhaps he won't be able to maintain his grip with his arm pushed against his back. I don't know if it's "rule-legal", but it sounds logical.
Wave your arms and shout.
Erling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arm lock, throws from locks