Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-13-2022, 09:59 PM   #1
kirbwarrior

Default Can't hurt self

Is there any way to set up a character so any attack they use can't hurt themself? I know with things like Innate Attacks and Modifying ST-Based damage you can just take modifiers to make it so the attack can't hurt you or you have a choice (such as Emanation). But this doesn't apply to, say, picking up a random grenade and throwing it at someone two yards away or accidentally shooting yourself in the foot with the gun you stole from your foe. Any thoughts on how to set this up?

Thanks ahead of time.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 02:27 AM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Can't hurt self

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
Is there any way to set up a character so any attack they use can't hurt themself? I know with things like Innate Attacks and Modifying ST-Based damage you can just take modifiers to make it so the attack can't hurt you or you have a choice (such as Emanation). But this doesn't apply to, say, picking up a random grenade and throwing it at someone two yards away or accidentally shooting yourself in the foot with the gun you stole from your foe. Any thoughts on how to set this up?

Thanks ahead of time.
DR or IT:DR with Limited, Attacks made by self (probably at -40% or if the GM is generous -60% since you're not going to attack yourself). Or maybe a perk in the right game - no blue on blue fire and blue includes you.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 02:27 AM   #3
Celjabba

"Enough" aspected DR would be the (expensive) obvious way.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 08:15 AM   #4
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
DR or IT:DR with Limited, Attacks made by self (probably at -40% or if the GM is generous -60% since you're not going to attack yourself).
I'd be tempted to be stingy, as it's the kind of thing I would expect someone to start looking for ways to cheese.

And I would want a very clear idea of what the player considers "hurting himself." Does an unarmed attack on an armored target count? Falling after a failed kick? Does he think he can survive a terminal velocity fall by claiming he is making a flying kick against the ground? Can he set off a suicide vest to deal with a swarm of attackers? What constitutes the "attack" with a grenade? If someone throws a grenade, and he picks it up and tries to throw it back, is he immune? How about if he just kicks it away? Or just nudges it with his toe?
Old 06-14-2022, 12:42 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
I'd be tempted to be stingy, as it's the kind of thing I would expect someone to start looking for ways to cheese.

And I would want a very clear idea of what the player considers "hurting himself." Does an unarmed attack on an armored target count? Falling after a failed kick? Does he think he can survive a terminal velocity fall by claiming he is making a flying kick against the ground? Can he set off a suicide vest to deal with a swarm of attackers? What constitutes the "attack" with a grenade? If someone throws a grenade, and he picks it up and tries to throw it back, is he immune? How about if he just kicks it away? Or just nudges it with his toe?
I would definitely not let a player game the system. The attack would have to originally originated from them and I'd probably limit it to things that were non-intentionally. If you can just do things you know will hurt you then I'd call that -20% - at best.

Become a Patron!
Old 06-14-2022, 04:16 PM   #6
kirbwarrior

Quote:
I would definitely not let a player game the system. The attack would have to originally originated from them and I'd probably limit it to things that were non-intentionally. If you can just do things you know will hurt you then I'd call that -20% - at best.
The character in question would be doing things that they know could hurt them, but more through negligence than intention. The main goal was someone who could throw grenades around willy nilly and never have to worry about getting hurt. And while in another campaign that could just be a power (Innate Attack w/Explosive and doesn't hurt user or even full Selective Effect), that only applies to that one attack instead of any explosive I can buy off the shelf.

I do like the "originated from them" idea, where the source of damage comes from the person. So things like gravity, collision, and even punching a brick wall wouldn't work because it's something else hitting you. But shooting yourself in the foot (either intentionally or through critical failure), activating a grenade, shooting an arrow straight up, being mind controlled to punch yourself in the face, etc. would be protected from. As for throwing someone else's grenade, I also wouldn't allow that but partially because the mirror would be protected; if someone else picks up my grenade and throws it back at me. Of course, now it makes me wonder where "picking up a grenade thrown at me and just holding it in front me of me" should fall.

Yeah, this is a weird power the more I think about it. Holding someone else's grenade feels cheesy so I should go no on that.

Quote:
DR or IT:DR with Limited, Attacks made by self (probably at -40% or if the GM is generous -60% since you're not going to attack yourself). Or maybe a perk in the right game - no blue on blue fire and blue includes you.
I almost was just going to go with a perk idea, maybe as a silly style perk for grenadiers. But I wasn't sure so I was going to ask here.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 05:01 PM   #7
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
The main goal was someone who could throw grenades around willy-nilly and never have to worry about getting hurt.
How do you envisage this working from the PoV of someone within the setting? Do the grenade fragments "just happen" to never hit the person with the ability, bounce off a force field, or what?
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 05:10 PM   #8
Rolando

Super Luck, Serendipity (cosmic or a super level?), daredevil (cosmic) or using the impulse buy for reducing damage is a good way because this sound more like setting and game flavor more than an actual power to me.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 06:17 PM   #9
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
The character in question would be doing things that they know could hurt them, but more through negligence than intention. The main goal was someone who could throw grenades around willy nilly and never have to worry about getting hurt. And while in another campaign that could just be a power (Innate Attack w/Explosive and doesn't hurt user or even full Selective Effect), that only applies to that one attack instead of any explosive I can buy off the shelf.

I do like the "originated from them" idea, where the source of damage comes from the person. So things like gravity, collision, and even punching a brick wall wouldn't work because it's something else hitting you. But shooting yourself in the foot (either intentionally or through critical failure), activating a grenade, shooting an arrow straight up, being mind controlled to punch yourself in the face, etc. would be protected from. As for throwing someone else's grenade, I also wouldn't allow that but partially because the mirror would be protected; if someone else picks up my grenade and throws it back at me. Of course, now it makes me wonder where "picking up a grenade thrown at me and just holding it in front me of me" should fall.

Yeah, this is a weird power the more I think about it. Holding someone else's grenade feels cheesy so I should go no on that.

I almost was just going to go with a perk idea, maybe as a silly style perk for grenadiers. But I wasn't sure so I was going to ask here.
Just seems like a nuisance effect at that point - maybe -10% or so. A bit cartoony too.

Become a Patron!
Old 06-14-2022, 07:44 PM   #10
David Johnston2

Quote:
The character in question would be doing things that they know could hurt them, but more through negligence than intention. The main goal was someone who could throw grenades around willy nilly and never have to worry about getting hurt. .
The ability to detonate explosives on one's self and not get hurt while everyone around you is hurt is no joke. It's a really big combat advantage.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fragmentation, powers