Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-14-2023, 02:45 PM   #6191
doctorevilbrain

Default Re: New Reality Seeds

"England is to the north,east,south and west of England"? How does that make sense? What are you trying to tell us? Either it's England or it not.
doctorevilbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 03:31 PM   #6192
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorevilbrain View Post
"England is to the north,east,south and west of England"? How does that make sense? What are you trying to tell us? Either it's England or it not.
On a very small planet, there's a landmass identical to England (But for arbitrary reasons, neither Scotland nor Wales). The only other thing on this tiny planet is water. Thus, go in any direction away from England and you will arrive in England.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 07:05 PM   #6193
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Good call. I'll have to find the World Dream site to show you my inspiration.
Look at the World Dream Bank. Topsy-Turvy is Turnovia.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 03:35 PM   #6194
Astromancer

Tartary-2

The Tartary parallels are worlds where the "Tartar Yoke" isn't lifted in the 16th century. In this Q6 Low Mana parallel the Golden Hoard benefited from the accidental death of Ivan the Terrible.

The Tartars got a reforming leader in the early 17th century. His name is still under dispute because his attempted "Jihad" against Poland was a massive disaster for all involved.

The local year is 1719. The Swedish Empire controls most of what was Poland and some of what was Prussia. Novagrad runs large areas of what is Russia. They are allied with Sweden against the Ottomans which holds what is Ukraine in most parallels.

Basically, this is an alternative Swashbuckling campaign with Arabian Nights elements. Magic is rare in this parallel, but improved scholarship is revealing mystic lore. Use Path/Book magic. There are areas in the German lands where Witchcraft executions still take place. In Homeline history, hangings for Witchcraft still were to occur in Britain and strangling witches is still a thing in Egypt. So magicians need to watch out.

Ancora Imparo
Old 04-17-2023, 05:40 PM   #6195
Astromancer

Inland Sea

This Q6 Low Mana parallel is fairly close to Homeline. The biggest difference is that the Colorado River changed course in the early 1860s. The area that is the Salton Sea on Homeline is a deep lake in this parallel. Arizona's climate is seriously altered by this new inland sea. The prevailing winds carry evaporated moisture from the lake back across Arizona.

This has made Arizona far more populous in this parallel.

More later...

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 04-18-2023 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-17-2023, 10:01 PM   #6196
malloyd

Quote:
Inland Sea Arizona's climate is seriously altered by this new inland sea. The prevailing winds carry evaporated moisture from the lake back across Arizona.
I don't see why it would be, or at least no more than it would've been in the OTL 19th century when the Colorado River water you have flowing into it flowed into a large network of small lakes and wetlands just to the south of it (the Colorado River delta) from which water could evaporate just as easily. And while the diversion of the Colorado has certainly altered the environment around the delta, I don't know that it has changed *Arizona* very much.
Old 04-17-2023, 10:20 PM   #6197
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
I don't see why it would be, or at least no more than it would've been in the OTL 19th century when the Colorado River water you have flowing into it flowed into a large network of small lakes and wetlands just to the south of it (the Colorado River delta) from which water could evaporate just as easily. And while the diversion of the Colorado has certainly altered the environment around the delta, I don't know that it has changed *Arizona* very much.
Possibly something to do with it being a low mana parallel?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 01:11 AM   #6198
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Turning the Imperial Valley into a lake would create an area of high evaporation well north of the mouth of the Colorado and positioned so as the prevailing winds carry the evaporated moisture into Arizona rather than Sonora.

Ancora Imparo
Old 04-18-2023, 07:24 AM   #6199
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The great salt lake has a decent lake effect, which isn't a bad comparison. The effect works because the water from the lake is immediately wrung out by nearby mountains. The area of effect is a lot smaller than a single state... maybe half of the small jut of utah is effected. That's where 80% of the state lives... but its a small portion of the total area.

More water might increase Arizona's population in the past, but doubling its agricultural population won't really effect its current size. Its population and population growth are driven by Phoenix, and TL7 Cities grow without concern for their natural water supply: Phoenix currently pipes in water from the rest of the Colorado to makeup the shortfalls of the Gila.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 12:58 PM   #6200
Astromancer

Quote:
Inland Sea

This Q6 Low Mana parallel is fairly close to Homeline. The biggest difference is that the Colorado River changed course in the early 1860s. The area that is the Salton Sea on Homeline is a deep lake in this parallel. Arizona's climate is seriously altered by this new inland sea. The prevailing winds carry evaporated moisture from the lake back across Arizona.

This has made Arizona far more populous in this parallel.

More later...
The local year is 1902. Arizona has been admitted to the Union as a state. Because the overwhelming majority of the settlers were ex-confederates moving West to avoid Yankees and the formerly enslaved, Arizona is the most reactionary state in the USA.

Centrum is working with the Arizona congressional delegation to derail the Theodore Roosevelt administration. The long term plan is a weaker more reactionary USA. The weakening of the USA would diminish the reputation of democracy and help preserve the European colonial empires.

Homeline, not willing to let Centrum expand on Q6 is busy counterpunching.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 04-18-2023 at 01:05 PM.

Tags
ideas to share, infinite worlds, infinity unlimited