Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-10-2011, 02:29 AM   #1
Walrus

Default Techno-Fantasy on real novel series

Hello. I'm working on formalization with GURPS of "Tajnyj Gorod" ("The Secret City") universe by V. Panov (original books are available only in Russian - see www.vadimpanov.ru or www.t-grad.com for details).

This universe is rather similar to "Dozory" ("Watches") universe of S. Lukyanenko, known in world through "Night Watch" Movie, but without moral conceptions, with "lower" fantasy and deep magic-tech cross-overing.

There are following concepts in the world:
1. It is Ritual Magic system that governs the magic in the world.
2. The most of magical energy is produced by few mighty artifacts called "Sources". Mages have ER, which may be replenished only form such Source (usually not directly but via special "magical accumulators") which are produced by the race controlling the Source. And such energy is only valid only for few other races, thus they are dependent on their seniors. They cannot use "ordinary" FP for spell casting however.
3. The main action is in real world and present time but with slightly alternative history (more alternative in past explaining the origin of magical races including human magic traditions). Magic is concealed as in Illuminated Fantasy with a little of Absurdest Fantasy (Fantasy, 13).

So, there are plenty of questions that might arise while modeling. Here are some of them. I seek ideas of how to formalize these concepts.

1. Enchantment is very wide spread in this universe. Actually, nearly any spell may be "inserted" into artifact which may be used even by non-mages and this is usually stabler and simpler than ordinary use of such spell.
E.g. the "Portal" spell creates a standard fantasy portal to target location with some parameters. But it is hard to caster to adjust parametres, especially if he doesn't see the target location or there are no "beacons" or "anchors" there.
However, the "Door" artifact is rather simple in use and can be previously adjusted to make a portal to specified location. Roughly, it modifies limitation for spell-like advantage "Warp" from "Takes Extra Time" to "Preparation Required".
Some variants of such artifact are more simpler.
"Technical hole" creates a portal in any kind of wall or something similar (like normal door or glass), automatically measuring the thickness of such barrier and creating a portal with "enters" on both sides of the wall. The user can rather freely work through such a hole with one arm or somehow with two arms.
"The Hole of Life" creates a direct portal for up to two persons to admission room of the "Central Hospital" of the action location (the very "Secret City") from any of its place.

More precisely, "standard" artifact consists of magical accumulator, "directing" device, which transmute the energy from "raw" kind to magical effect, and "controls", which govern the parameters of the spell and the "on-off" switcher. It doesn't matter how these components are manufactured "industrially" exactly, but it seems that they may be easily bought like radio components IRL or even produced in house lab (except energy in accumulators which still must be from "The Source").
Some artifacts may have enhancements or variants like built-in rechargeable accumulators vs. changeable accumulators, or "sealed" accumulators which can't be drained by magic-draining effects or even "sealed" artifacts which can't be detected before using.

2. Moreover, the combat magic is comparably powerful to present-time (TL8) combat devices. The exception may be medicine which seems like magic-based TL 8+1 or 7+2 but only in dispensary or hospital conditions - "field" magical medicine seems no more potent than TL8. Also spying and detecting magical devices are comparable to later TL8 or even earlier TL9 devices. And some spells like information, search or portal spells seems like super-science.

And finally some more pragmatic questions.

3. How can one create an ability which works through a kiss and may be used in combat? For example there is an ability "Mermaid's Kiss" - sorceress kisses the subject and he calms down in euphoria and answers sincerely to any her questions.

My decision.

Mermaid's Kiss:

Affliction 10 (Ecstasy +100%, Secondary Euphoria +6%;
Accessibility, only while kissing - treat as bite to face maneuver with additional -1 to hit modifier -20%, Only on men (half power on women) -10%, Requires two successive attacks, not ready maneuvers -10%; All-Out -25%; Based on Will +20%; Blood agent -40%; Blood Agent, reversed, -40%; Extended Duration 10x +40%; Limited Use, 4 per day, -20%; Melee attack C, cannot parry, -35%; Takes Extra Time 1 -10%) [56]
Affliction 4 (IQ penalty 3, +30%; Based on Will, +20%; Follow-up: Mermaid's Kiss -65%) [34]
Mind Probe (Accessibility, only on victims of Mermaid's Kiss -65%, Must converse with subject, -20%) [4]
Affliction 1 (Moderate Pain +20%; Follow-up: Mermaid's Kiss -65%; Onset: 4 hours or after sleep, -20%) [4]
Total: [98]

Blood agent and Blood agent, reversed, represent deep kiss, so Accessibility only represents required maneuver and fact, that the sorceress need 2-seconds long kiss, not one second preparation and kiss then.

Mind Probe accessibility is based on limitations for "Follow-up": Melee Attack, Takes Extra Time, Limited Use. Should I assume "Link" instead? Also it uses "Compel Truth" (from Powers) Accessibility for conversation.

P.S. Sorry for some Runglish, I write and speak in English very rare, usually only read or listen.

Last edited by Walrus; 01-10-2011 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Update
Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
Walrus

Default Re: Techno-Fantasy on real novel series

And these are not all questions...
Old 01-10-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
3. How create an ability which works through a kiss and may be used in combat?
What kind of kiss? A full sensual kiss on the lips? A simple peck anywhere on the body? Must it touch bare skin?

BTW, what were your other questions exactly? There didn't seem to be any others in your post.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
Walrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
What kind of kiss? A full sensual kiss on the lips?
Yes, indeed, as you can see from the defining.
Quote:
BTW, what were your other questions exactly? There didn't seem to be any others in your post.
So, i'm seeking some inspirational examples of similar settings. Maybe, I should try search harder.

So, here are only few threads about techno-fantasy, secret magic and ritual magic, but maybe here are ideas for it? For balance between mages and non-mages PCs, balancing prices for artifacts, spells and so on.

Additional problem is to balance some spells from the novel like this "Mermaid's Kiss". Originally it's a magical ability and isn't worth so much. However, it's just powered for purposes of using as advantage in combat. The novel doesn't show such use of it but it seems, that it can be used in such way.

Finally, I have more questions, but haven't yet posted them because of missing time.

Last edited by Walrus; 01-10-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Accessibility, only while kissing - treat as bite to face maneuver with additional -1 to hit modifier -20%
That seems reasonable
Quote:
Only on men (half power on women) -10%,
Unless there's some kind of mystical significance to chromosomes in the setting I'd change "Half power on Women" to "Half power on characters that aren't sexually attracted". It should, I'd think, be as effective on gay women as it is on straight men.
Quote:
Requires two successive attacks, not ready maneuvers -10%;
I'd replace this with Accessibility: Only following a grapple. Which I'd say is probably -40%.
Quote:
Blood Agent, reversed, -40%
I'm not sure why it needs this. Reversed blood agent is for things like the Alien's blood. Blood agent alone should handle an attack through the saliva, IME.
Quote:
Takes Extra Time 1 -10%
So you want it to take 3 All-Out maneuvers? Seems rather impossible to actually pull off. I think it would be better to require just require a single All-Out attack, on an already Grappled opponent. I'd just drop Extra Time.
Quote:
Mind Probe (Accessibility, only on victims of Mermaid's Kiss -65%, Must converse with subject, -20%) [4]
This should probably have Sense Based (Hearing).

If you are going to have lots of abilities like this (with lots of modifiers) in the campaign, I strongly recommend you use the Multiplicative Modifiers optional rule. It will make these limitations much more worthwhile.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #6
Walrus

Quote:
"Half power on Women" to "Half power on characters that aren't sexually attracted". It should, I'd think, be as effective on gay women as it is on straight men.
I ment the very this. And this isn't very common though mentioned and even bound to plot in that world.
Quote:
I'd replace this with Accessibility: Only following a grapple. Which I'd say is probably -40%.
Obviously common combat use includes grappling the head or binding (possible by allies).
Quote:
I'm not sure why it needs this. Reversed blood agent is for things like the Alien's blood.
Maybe. In your variant it's just included in Accessibility. Technically this isn't blood agent, this Affliction seems more closer to Malediction but kissing requirement makes Malediction meaningless, so "blood agent" is included only not to include it in Accessibility again and to represent mouth-to-mouth kiss.
Quote:
So you want it to take 3 All-Out maneuvers? Seems rather impossible to actually pull off. I think it would be better to require just require a single All-Out attack, on an already Grappled opponent.
Not 3, but 2 - this counts as an attack.
Quote:
This should probably have Sense Based (Hearing).
It's just taken "as is" from Powers, p.148 - "Compel Truth". And notes there represents the very similar way of interrogation as in novels. Fairy needs not only hear the subject but also converse meaningful conversation.
Quote:
If you are going to have lots of abilities like this (with lots of modifiers) in the campaign, I strongly recommend you use the Multiplicative Modifiers optional rule. It will make these limitations much more worthwhile.
Maybe. Though, the first thing here that it should be cheap. Possibly, I should replace Ecstasy with only Euphoria and add some Mind Control instead.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Maybe. Though, the first thing here that it should be cheap. Possibly, I should replace Ecstasy with only Euphoria and add some Mind Control instead.
Multiplicative modifiers will make it much cheaper with Ecstasy.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #8
Walrus

Quote:
Multiplicative modifiers will make it much cheaper with Ecstasy.
Shame to me. I've calculated this wrong. It should be 56 with summed modifiers and 30 with multiplicative (only for first affliction). So, this is it.

Upd: And about enchantment. Finally, I've realized that as soon as such "enchanter" doesn't contribute his own ER to the artifact he isn't an enchanter but uses some kind of "mundane" Electronics Repair, Mechanic, Engineer or Machinist with "Magical Artifacts" specialization (and Engineer (MA) for inventing) skills. And this also explains appearance of "Magical Artifacts Operation" skill which correctly represents the novel.

Last edited by Walrus; 01-12-2011 at 05:19 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #9
Walrus

Original source often refers to stress level and usual ways to get out of it like alcohol, sex, gambling and so on. Is there any kind of such stuff in GURPS besides Fright checks or even somehow based on it?
================================================== =================
Accidentally some self-confident vampires in novels go outdoors in broad daylight (of course, it is dangerous for them) using "sealed" clothing. How can I represent the probability of damaging such closing? Or it's up to GM's decision?

So, they have Weakness (Sunlight (Very Common) x3; 1d/minute; Mitigator -60%) [-24] This is not "Variable" for weakness because of suit normally prevents all damage and no special source deals double damage.

And I wish to make it stronger, like 1d/5 secs, or even 1d/sec. So, vampires are really tough and speedy guys and they might quickly go to the shadow or underground, or indoors in emergencies, but they really burn in a minute at direct sunlight.

Last edited by Walrus; 01-14-2011 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Yeah, these questions aren't related
Old 01-14-2011, 10:39 PM   #10
Walrus

And two questions about Injury Tolerance (diffuse).

1. Members of the race of underground habitants (so called "oses") handle packs of giant rats, controlling them telepathically. Though, their mindlink is rather two-way, so one cannot clearly state whether ose controls the pack or pack just allows ose to "drive" it.
Briefly, we have some kind of semi-sapient swarm-like being.
I see some variants:

a. Just "Injury Tolerance (Diffuse; Swarm, Affect Substantial, +160%) [260]". But this is great. Though, with IQ 4-5 and little skills this may be an ally.

b. Use "Ally Groups".

c. Innate Attack with Area Effect, Homing, Mobile and Persistent as in Powers, p. 41 - Alternatives for Allies, maybe with some sort of Uncontrollable or Unreliable and additional Increased Consumption.
================================================== ======
2. Some creatures are capable of transforming to cloud of fog. It's much like body of air, but is rather visible and is effectively insubstantial except it benefits from Injury Tolerance (Diffuse, Infiltration +40%) [140] for permeation abilities, not the Insubstantiality. It also benefits from some stretching and shrinking capabilities. E.g. once such a creature occupied hollow grenade launcher projectile and was propelled within it. Another time it dispersed as thin layer on the floor to increase stealth capabilities.

Should I include Invertebrate? The form already has no ST but it is shapeless. I also think about Shadow Form, because such creatures don't really flies, they just creep up walls as shadow form does.

Tags
magic, ritual magic, secret magic, techno-fantasy, vampires