Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-18-2023, 07:07 AM   #21
mburr0003

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Fashion Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
On the other hand, you can't use Charisma to make another person look good.
I suppose the 'skill' in Complementary Skill Roll throws people off, because I have allowed it.

They just need a good reason why their Influence Roll should help their buddy. Also, if appropriate I expand the skills that Charisma can apply to, but so far only to Merchant and Fast-talk... and those were very close to being Influence Roll uses anyway.
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 05:43 AM   #22
Pursuivant

The one thing that makes Fashion Sense attractive vs. a level of Charisma is that transferable ability to make others look good. It's the only "buff" that a "face" character can give without actively intervening on another character's behalf. That suits players and characters with a more cooperative play style.

It's also potentially the basis for other transferable reaction buffing advantages. For example:

Imposing (5 points):
You get a +1 reaction bonus in potential combat situations. If you can spend at least 30 minutes coaching and dressing someone prior to a potential combat situation they get a +1 reaction bonus as well, but only for the duration of one scene.
Pursuivant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 06:18 AM   #23
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
The one thing that makes Fashion Sense attractive vs. a level of Charisma is that transferable ability to make others look good. It's the only "buff" that a "face" character can give without actively intervening on another character's behalf. That suits players and characters with a more cooperative play style.
It also continues to apply to the owning characters and all those they've given the bonus to - it's not limited to a single character at a time.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 07:29 AM   #24
Frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchwork View Post
I've never seen a face take it. They have other, more safe yet flexible places to sink their points. The ones I've seen jump on Fashion Sense were the lords and managers. Forget an adventuring party or similar bunch of people; where this shines is when you can design uniforms and livery. Being able to give all your guards, receptionists and service staff +1 on reaction rolls can be a significant force multiplier during unstable times in large cities. As Hugo Boss can attest.
I think a lot of players overlook fashion sense for face characters. Yes charisma is the defining trait for faces but fashion sense is quite a nice backup for almost exactly the reasons you give for its utility to non-adventuring types.

The +1 bonus to other characters is almost exactly what you need to sell many group disguises, con games and other interactions with high status types.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 04:48 PM   #25
Astromancer

A five point advantage that let's you buff the party is always golden.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 05:45 PM   #26
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
It's pretty interesting in that 'using' Fashion Sense and getting the bonus don't happen at the same time. Because it can apply to others, it implies you don't have to keep it to keep the bonus. So there's some odd build you can do with Affliction, but more importantly it's a fantastic trait to take as an Alternative Ability (you don't really lose anything by doing so, but it also isn't easy to explain as an AA).
Easy to explain as a technological modular ability though, if those are setting-appropriate.

Or of course, the obvious exploit: offboard it to an ally. (Yes, my familiar picks out all my clothes, why wouldn't they?)

That's all trying a bit too hard given that it's a 5 point advantage though.
Old 03-20-2023, 04:23 AM   #27
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
I think you're reading vastly more into it than needed. People with fashion sense in the real world can fix up pretty much anything in a moment. It's giving you (or someone you dress) a +1 bonus. It's not saying "you are dressed perfectly for a particular event". You just have an outfit that "works" and enhances your look.

Dressing "appropriately" is more about savoir faire - fashion sense just lets you be a bit better at it.

Fashion sense means no matter what event you turn up to, you're dressed in a way that gives a small, positive impression.
Bolded for my point. I know basically if not literally nothing about what 'Fashion Sense' translates to in real life. You said it takes a 'moment' and I thought it took most people longer than a moment to even get clothes on. Like, what you're describing sounds like a super power.

But also, it's about one paragraph in Basic with the only 'hard' rule being a +1 to reactions. I'm not even sure who the reaction bonus doesn't apply to. Without knowing what it is in real life AND not knowing what it is in GURPS, I do have to read into it too much to get something playable. I'm still not sure I'm even using reaction modifiers and influence skills right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Easy to explain as a technological modular ability though, if those are setting-appropriate.
True, and many modular abilities can be 'shrunk' to AAs

Quote:
That's all trying a bit too hard given that it's a 5 point advantage though.
Again, true, but even then being able save 80% of the cost of a trait with nearly no downside is always worth it.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 11:26 PM   #28
Pursuivant

Quote:
Or of course, the obvious exploit: offboard it to an ally. (Yes, my familiar picks out all my clothes, why wouldn't they?)
Which explains the cat fur on every outfit I wear . . . Cat fur never goes out of fashion, ask any cat. :)

Given the "Talent Adjacent" nature of FS:

Fashionista
5 points/level
Skills Affected: Artist (Costume Design, Embroidery, Fashion Design, etc.), Connoisseur (Fashion, etc.), Current Affairs (Fashion, etc.), Make-Up, Professional Skill (Any textile-related trade), Sewing.
Reaction Bonus: Anyone who buys or wears clothing or other textiles you've made or significantly modified.
Alternate Bonus: Any clothing or textile you produce can be used "off the rack" by people with Fashion Sense to gain a +1 bonus with no modification or preparation necessary.
Alternate Cost: 6 points/level.
Notes: Expert Skill (Textile Science, etc.), Jeweler, and Merchant can be substituted for Current Affairs, Make-Up, or Professional Skill.
Pursuivant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 12:27 AM   #29
RyanW

It would be interesting to rebuild it as a modified Charisma (Useable on others, Preparation required, Must be seen rather than speak, Doesn't work in situations that do not allow fashionable expression, ...) and see where it comes out.

Didn't the WWII France book propose Fashion Sense as a national trait?

It ought to give a bonus to Merchant when selling clothes, cosmetics, hair products, etc. if you have the opportunity to demonstrate, by making your model (or the customer) look great.

Last edited by RyanW; 03-21-2023 at 12:36 AM.
RyanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 03:51 PM   #30
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Didn't the WWII France book propose Fashion Sense as a national trait?
Not as such. It has notes on how the French tried hard to stay well-dressed, and implies that it may be more common there. It gives an additional bonus:
Quote:
Originally Posted by G:WWII: Return to Honor, p. 32
In addition to its usual benefits,
this advantage also bestows a +1 to any skill rolls
for keeping up appearances, including Scrounging
when seeking material for a new outfit.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage of the week, fashion sense