Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-02-2017, 10:14 AM   #11
Jaware

Default Re: Need help creating some sort of advantage, I think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedrin View Post
Controlling jacks seems to be a skill. Jack Marshals aren't warcasters after all. For "focus" I'd use an ability to share Energy Reserve, or maybe even an Afliction that transfers ER. Jacks can use th ER for extra effort or ther spell like abilities, but it's the same ER that powers caster spells. If you like Jack Marshals being specially talented, consider a Magery 0 type approach.
it does seem more like a skill to me as well. But I would say something like a spell skill. Where you have to have the raw ability frist. So like one of those, requires magery 3 type spells. Because it is obviously not easy to do. If it was there would be waaay more warcasters. As for jackmarshals, I'd say they have like magery 1 or 2. They have enough talent to make one jack work. But not enough to actually use enough of them. Therefore limiting their effectiveness and therefore taking them off the possible warcasters.
As far as the ER, that was the thought. But I was going to give them the machine trait. So no extra effort. I was thinking giving a set of advantages that require certain conditions to be met before they are "live" also I was going to build skills as advantages like that pyramid article did and then do them the same way. So for instance 1 "focus" (read er) let's them have access to enhanced move 1 and say a weapon skill of 12 instead of a 10. Etc. 2 focus let's them evaluate and aim. It also increases their skill to a 14 and might unlock a special ability or so.

Quote:
You might also want to look at the familiar advantage for bonded jacks. Won't be exactly what you want but it'll give a starting spot.
To be honest, I hadn't even thought that far ahead hahaha. But that does look like a nice place to start.

Quote:
I don't know how detailed your getting, but some older jacks seem to slide a bit on the tool/person scale. For these the concept of control and requires focus can be a bit shakey. If you haven't read Into the Storm and Into the Wild, they're good examples of a quirked up jack assigned to a unit with no warcaster.
I wasn't planning on going into that section to be honest. Things like character jacks would be hard enough to make. Much less anything else.
Jaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:23 AM   #12
Jaware

Default Re: Need help creating some sort of advantage, I think...

Probably the hardest thing to crossover between the two is turn scale.

because in warmachine, your caster can cast 10 spells in their turn. All doing damage, grading buffs, debuffs, etc.

where as gurps 1 turns, that can get sketchy. Fast.

so I don't know about the whole casting spells with their "focus" thing.

that was why I was going to try and keep them seperate. It might also keep the cost of the compartmentalized mind down. If all the minds can do is control the jacks, and using them applies a debuff to your pc.

then I can do the rest to cast spells, rather that be woth magery, path/book, duper science, psionics, etc.
Jaware is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage design, allies, character concept, npc design