Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-17-2013, 03:30 PM   #31
JimMarn

Default Re: Is there any setting/game that GURPS CAN'T do?

more seriously, I've been thinking of adding in a world or two of GURPS Steampunk in my GURPS Traveller universe.

Do an alternate, and make it possible for the Steampunk worlds to have starships, beam weapons, and maybe a few other things; like the cyborgs of Section 9 in 'Ghost in the Shell'. The later would have to be Traveller characters. I don't think it would be possible to have cyber-brains in a steam powered shell.
JimMarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #32
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMarn View Post
more seriously, I've been thinking of adding in a world or two of GURPS Steampunk in my GURPS Traveller universe.

Do an alternate, and make it possible for the Steampunk worlds to have starships, beam weapons, and maybe a few other things; like the cyborgs of Section 9 in 'Ghost in the Shell'. The later would have to be Traveller characters. I don't think it would be possible to have cyber-brains in a steam powered shell.
Its GURPS... the GM can not only tweak but violently re-write the laws of physics and such in his game world. So yes, cyber-brains in a steam-powered shell though to keep them from completely shattering suspension of disbelief I'd make them pretty limited.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #33
JimMarn

I've rewritten things for my ad&d world... but I think I would have to go with Traveller cyborgs instead of steampunk cyborgs. The Major and Bateau seem rather deep in angst much of the time.

Of course, making steam power robots who look like cyborgs and in conflict with the Traveller type cyborgs could make for several interesting scenarios.
JimMarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #34
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by joppeknol View Post
- He might be lucky, but it doesn't look like he sees it that way. Supposedly, he always fights like this and wins.
Luck is a metagame advantage, often taken for its net results on the in-game action. It isn't necessarily a conscious superpower of the character.

Quote:
- Even if you count mook rules and stormtrooper markmanship academy rules, he still should have been shot somewhere.
I'm not sure what point you're making? "Should have been shot" if the movie were the real world? In that case, you'd be happy with GURPS tuned to realism. "Should have been shot" even if you're using GURPS tuned to over-the-top mass-mook-destroying action? How is that different from the level 10 versus level 0 version you cite? If you object to the outcome despite the rules, either system would be wrong for you.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #35
DangerousThing

Quote:
Okay. I cannot bleach that out of my mind.

So, I'll go one like that to. GURPS Hello Kitty.

Pleassant dreams !
I may never sleep again.

I was at the bookstore yesterday and at their coffee shop they had Hello Kitty tins of jelly beans (pink and red and white, I think). The salesman tried to sell them to me, and when I shuddered, he admitted that they just can't get rid of them so the bosses are pushing them to sell them.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #36
DangerousThing

Quote:

Didn't the cyborgs have human brains in a cyborg body?

I could imagine a steampunk cyborg with a human brain. Though I'd make the cyborgs larger than humans to fit in all the steam piping.

And many steampunk stories have automatons.

In my latest game in the DJverse I have a "steampunk" asteroid base. When the Shattering wrecked the tech, they managed to salvage the fission reactor and are using it for steam power and heating throughout the main base. They have a few ship hulls that they ripped out all the non-working stuff (saving it for later) and put in stuff that they could still make and repair. 500 years later and they barely have radio and radar, but they do have primitive rockets and mechanical computers. They use people at stations where we would use machinery. Their airlocks are clunky things with really thick doors of metal and leather.

Basically stuff out of an EE Doc Smith novel without the inertialless drives and beam weapons.

They don't have beam weapons, but they do have steam catapults and they have a *lot* of asteroids made up as weapons platforms to deal with raiders (space pirates).
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #37
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
Didn't the cyborgs have human brains in a cyborg body?

I could imagine a steampunk cyborg with a human brain. Though I'd make the cyborgs larger than humans to fit in all the steam piping.
The cyborgs from GitS have brains that include biological and cybernetic components. It's not entirely clear how much of each, but every time a brain is visible it appears entirely cybernetic. Any remaining organic bits must be buried deep inside.

For Steampunk cyborgs, I'd give them organic brains in vats, hooked up to mechanical computational engines for that extra processing and external memory.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #38
Silvermane

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
The cyborgs from GitS have brains that include biological and cybernetic components. It's not entirely clear how much of each, but every time a brain is visible it appears entirely cybernetic. Any remaining organic bits must be buried deep inside.

For Steampunk cyborgs, I'd give them organic brains in vats, hooked up to mechanical computational engines for that extra processing and external memory.
Like this?
Silvermane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:36 PM   #39
Xplo

Quote:
Originally Posted by joppeknol View Post
I can see why He hits them, but why don't they hit Him? It may be because they just happen to come alone or in pairs, but that would make Him simply unbelievably lucky. It wouldn't work that way in an RPG (imho).

EDIT: missed previous post. He also doesn't get hit, he doesn't seem to dodge or move very erratically.

I suppose in the end you may come with enough mook rules to make an approximation, but my point stays that it very hard to do and GURPS is not suited for this kind of setting.
Actually, the vast majority of that video could be simulated with a rule that a Mook's first second's worth of attacks automatically miss, serving no purpose but to waste ammo (if the GM is tracking it) and make the target aware of the Mook's location.

The commando (I forget Ahnuld's character's name) has ludicrously high Guns skill, of course, but that's par for the course.
Xplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:32 AM   #40
joppeknol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplo View Post
Actually, the vast majority of that video could be simulated with a rule that a Mook's first second's worth of attacks automatically miss, serving no purpose but to waste ammo (if the GM is tracking it) and make the target aware of the Mook's location.

The commando (I forget Ahnuld's character's name) has ludicrously high Guns skill, of course, but that's par for the course.
Watched that part again, a lot of it would be explained by stormtroopers academy. Still there are scenes where more than one person is shooting for more than one second.

To be clear: I am answering the original question of what things GURPS cannot do (or doesn't do well). The reason I like GURPS is because you don't get silly results like this one.*

Another trope in this genre is that he shoots these mooks without problems until he gets to the Big Bad Guy, and then suddenly he starts to miss even though the bad guy, just as the hero, doesn't really seem to be dodging. Suddenly the warrior meets another warrior of his own level.

* Actually, I loved this movie when I was 15 or so.
joppeknol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gm advice