Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #21
whswhs

Default Re: Is there any setting/game that GURPS CAN'T do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
The 3e published GURPS WoD write-ups... kind of totally sucked. There are better fan-versions on these fora if you search for them, IIRC.
Really? I think I've seen other people claim that GURPS Mage: The Ascension was actually more understandable and more usable than the first edition of Mage: The Ascension. Could you expand on your comment?

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #22
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I think I've seen other people claim that GURPS Mage: The Ascension was actually more understandable and more usable than the first edition of Mage: The Ascension.
That might have been me. It's an opinion I hold for M:tA, which has the advantage that most of what it does is based on one set of ideas. It is rather less true for W:tA or V:tM. I think this is because the White Wolf game system is rather better integrated with the character powers in those games than the GURPS version manages, but M:tA is the only game that I've played in both GURPS and WW versions, so I could well be wrong.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #23
Refplace

Search the forums for WoD or other varitions. I have seen sevral postings of conversions and discussions.
I made up my own but its more "Inspired By" and not a true convrsion.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #24
joppeknol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermane View Post

So my challenge to you is to think of some setting, that can't be done in GURPS. Almost anything that I've thought of so far could possibly work with the right rules.
I was thinking about things like Schwarzenegger's commando or Rambo II or III. In particular the scenes in this youtube overview after 2:30 minutes. How could you model this in GURPS?

- I don't believe his actions on that point show a high tactics skill.
- He is nog dodging bullets, or taking cover.
- He might be lucky, but it doesn't look like he sees it that way. Supposedly, he always fights like this and wins.
- He is just a normal dad who happens to be a former commando. Nothing supernatural or special about him.
- Even if you count mook rules and stormtrooper markmanship academy rules, he still should have been shot somewhere.

In a another game system, you might just see a level 10 warrior wiping the floor with some level 0 mooks*. That's an easily modelled

I think my comment is inline with a previous comment about toons. GURPS does bad in settings that are less realistic or consistent.

*to be honest, I never played that system, although I used to visit muds (predecessors to modern mmorpg games.).

Last edited by joppeknol; 08-17-2013 at 01:01 PM.
joppeknol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #25
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joppeknol View Post
I was thinking about things like Schwarzenegger's commando or Rambo II or III. In particular the scenes in this youtube overview after 2:30 minutes. How could you model this in GURPS?

- He might be lucky, but it doesn't look like he sees it that way. Supposedly, he always fights like this and wins.
- He is just a normal dad who happens to be a former commando. Nothing supernatural or special about him.
- Even if you count mook rules and stormtrooper markmanship academy rules, he still should have been shot somewhere.

In a another game system, you might just see a level 10 warrior wiping the floor with some level 0 mooks*. That's an easily modelled

I think my comment is inline with a previous comment about toons. GURPS does bad in settings that are less realistic or consistent.

*to be honest, I never played that system, although I used to visit muds (predecessors to modern mmorpg games.).
Well he's faster than all of his opponents so he shoots first and they're polite enough to appear one at a time or in pairs.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #26
Silvermane

Quote:

Gunslinger, high Guns skill, and the Mook rule. (The one that has 1 HP enemies with no HT checks.)
Silvermane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #27
Refplace

Quote:

I would not call it like that.
He was one of the best in the business which is why he was targeted.
Obviosuly stronger then most and probably faster as well.
Also more mass and HP and good skills.
But definitely use Cinematic rules.
We should have a Power Ups that consolidates all the Cinematic rules, like the ones for perks and enhancements.
Mook, Storm Trooper Marksmanship, Bullet Proof nudity all apply at one time or another in that show. Wild Card bonus also.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #28
joppeknol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermane View Post
Gunslinger, high Guns skill, and the Mook rule. (The one that has 1 HP enemies with no HT checks.)
I can see why He hits them, but why don't they hit Him? It may be because they just happen to come alone or in pairs, but that would make Him simply unbelievably lucky. It wouldn't work that way in an RPG (imho).

EDIT: missed previous post. He also doesn't get hit, he doesn't seem to dodge or move very erratically.

I suppose in the end you may come with enough mook rules to make an approximation, but my point stays that it very hard to do and GURPS is not suited for this kind of setting.

Last edited by joppeknol; 08-17-2013 at 03:13 PM.
joppeknol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #29
JimMarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
GURPS Stawberry Shortcake. It haunts my nightmares.
Okay. I cannot bleach that out of my mind.

So, I'll go one like that to. GURPS Hello Kitty.

Pleassant dreams !
JimMarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #30
Otaku

Quote:
I can see why He hits them, but why don't they hit Him? It may be because they just happen to come alone or in pairs, but that would make Him simply unbelievably lucky. It wouldn't work that way in an RPG (imho).

EDIT: missed previous post. He also doesn't get hit, he doesn't seem to dodge or move very erratically.

I suppose in the end you may come with enough mook rules to make an approximation, but my point stays that it very hard to do and GURPS is not suited for this kind of setting.
I don't want to confuse the situation by mentioning 3e rules, but if any of the following survived into 4e (in some form or another):
  1. Extended Critical Table (p. CII 73)
  2. Only The Best Shall Win (p. CII 74)
  3. Silly Combat Rules (Cinematic Explosions, p. CII 76)
  4. Silly Combat Rules (Firecrackers and Hand-held Nukes, p CII 78)
  5. Silly Combat Rules (Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship, p. CII 78)
  6. Silly Combat Rules (Infinite Ammunition, p. CII 78)
  7. Silly Combat Rules (Larger Than Life, p. CII 78)

It may help to remember that GURPS "silly" is "action movie" standard in many cases... or at least "big budget shoot'em up" standard.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gm advice