Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #31
zuldan

Default Re: Unkillable 3 vs. a Black Hole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragabash Moon View Post
What?

someone asked, least i think they were asking. if they can have an affliction to cancel any advantage. and my solution was add the modular ability?, to the afflictions target advantages. as a way to change the given advantage that can be targeted to be cancelled.
zuldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #32
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuldan View Post
i think once there dead there dead. but if you wanna be a nice GM could always allow a HT or Will roll to see if they can pull them self back together. not sure the legal way.

think officially they would need the cosmic enhancement. applied to "comes back on after Anti Psi power is no longer present"
Right. In GURPS, death is a particular condition that once reached is very hard to undo. Unkillable 2 / 3 prevents the character from ever reaching that state, so if it's disabled and the character dies, activating it again won't automatically revive them. This might be overcome with Cosmic (as is done for the Resurrection miracle from Powers: Divine Favor).
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #33
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I wouldn't say so.
I guess it depends on whether you consider Unkillable to be Transient or not. Like I said, I'd be wary of giving such a major permanent effect to an ability with a normal duration in minutes.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #34
Lamech

To finish off a character with unkillable III its best to do just inflict severe and permanent damage. Like slicing up their brain without quite killing them.

Although I personally would call foul on the maiming trick. Unkillable should also include protection from such crap, such as maiming or most permanent injuries. By the time you get to -5HP or less you've suffered massive and "permanent" damage to just about everything. You die, not because you run out of HP, but because you've suffered massive brain damage. (Indeed that is the def. of death.) Unkillable should be you get back up and are functional again, not that you come back as a vegetable.

With that said the more legit ways to kill a unkillable character are affliction (negates unkillable III), or similar tricks. Another option is send them someplace they can't get back from. For example stick them into stasis for a very long time. On a side note, a big enough black hole might dilate time sufficiently to do exactly that. You could also banish them to an alternate dimension that has no means of getting back. Or stick them in a really solid jail.

Really it all depends on what is possible in your world. If there is someone tossing sufficiently powerful resurrection magic they can get anyone back.
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #35
zuldan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Cancellation is based on Neutralize and intended to temporarily suppress abilities. It seems way overpowered to give it such a significant effect for free.
but if you cancel a power that keeps you from permanent death. UK 3 psi based. with a anti psi ability. its technically gone, right?, or does advantages follow characters into death?

my thoughts would be. UK3 gone but body still there UK3 kicks back in. when anti psi leaves area or time expires
UK3 gone but body has been destroyed the character is dead. as there is nothing to be the anchor for the individual.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #36
zuldan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
To finish off a character with unkillable III its best to do just inflict severe and permanent damage. Like slicing up their brain without quite killing them.

Although I personally would call foul on the maiming trick. Unkillable should also include protection from such crap, such as maiming or most permanent injuries. By the time you get to -5HP or less you've suffered massive and "permanent" damage to just about everything. You die, not because you run out of HP, but because you've suffered massive brain damage. (Indeed that is the def. of death.) Unkillable should be you get back up and are functional again, not that you come back as a vegetable.

With that said the more legit ways to kill a unkillable character are affliction (negates unkillable III), or similar tricks. Another option is send them someplace they can't get back from. For example stick them into stasis for a very long time. On a side note, a big enough black hole might dilate time sufficiently to do exactly that. You could also banish them to an alternate dimension that has no means of getting back. Or stick them in a really solid jail.

Really it all depends on what is possible in your world. If there is someone tossing sufficiently powerful resurrection magic they can get anyone back.
we talking about UK3 due to psi vs a Anti psi ability and death occurring that from they anti-psi.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #37
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I guess it depends on whether you consider Unkillable to be Transient or not. Like I said, I'd be wary of giving such a major permanent effect to an ability with a normal duration in minutes.
Does the character come back to life if the Achilles Heel is removed?
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #38
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuldan View Post
or does advantages follow characters into death?
Unkillable 3 normally does.

According to GURPS Powers p. 155 "Lasting effects endure as explained under Unconsciousness [when Neutralized]" and "Unconsciousness never has any effect on passive, transient abilities". By my reading Unkillable is Transient and it's clearly passive.
Quote:
Does the character come back to life if the Achilles Heel is removed?
No, but Achilles Heel specifically kills you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B95
Damage from one particular source...can kill you normally.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 06-01-2013 at 09:23 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:10 AM   #39
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
That is very mean. Can you take Affliction, negates advantage: Affliction, negates advantage X?
Immunity: Negated Advantage (Cosmic +50%) [45] Nothing can ever take away your advantages.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:17 AM   #40
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Escaping a black hole simply means one must exceed the speed of light. Since a spirit has zero mass, nothing in physics prevents it from doing exactly that.
Negative, objects with zero mass can only travel at the speed of light. Example: photons, which is why light travels at the speed of light.

Quote:
It's only true of things that have mass.
Negative, neither massive nor massless objects can leave the event horizon of a black hole. The inability of massless objects like light to leave is why they are called black, and the inability of mass to leave is why they are called holes.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gm advice, unkillable