Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-23-2021, 11:54 AM   #11
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Summon Support / Soc Eng Assistance Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
I want him to be able to Summon backup of various types depending on the situation. Like being able to summon a fire team/squad, a mortar team, machinegun team or even occasionally (maybe with a really good summon roll) an air support asset (helicopter or strike fighter).
Another way to do it, albeit a bit twisted, would be Duplication. He's a SEAL, he can do all the jobs apart from the air support ones. If he has Duplication, he needs a way to get different sets of equipment, but it saves a lot of questions about "What happens if the summoned allies get killed?", "Do they remember previous summonings?" and things like that.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 12:10 PM   #12
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Another way to do it, albeit a bit twisted, would be Duplication. He's a SEAL, he can do all the jobs apart from the air support ones. If he has Duplication, he needs a way to get different sets of equipment, but it saves a lot of questions about "What happens if the summoned allies get killed?", "Do they remember previous summonings?" and things like that.
The big problem with that is he'd need to duplicate 3+ of himself & the heavy weapons and/or the helicopter he's summoning. Also, the competence of duplicating himself is much higher than a mook machinegun crew. Finaly, I want it to be summoned mooks not himself.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 01:43 PM   #13
Inky

Is this representing him calling for backup, or is it actual magic?
Old 12-23-2021, 02:14 PM   #14
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
Is this representing him calling for backup, or is it actual magic?
Edit: I want it to be a spell/power bringing in real actual backup.

Last edited by Tinman; 12-23-2021 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-27-2021, 01:33 PM   #15
Tinman

So I was thinking about this. The base points value for Divine Favor is 5/level but that includes all sorts of intervention & aid. What I'm looking for is really only for the allies. Would there be a modifier to the value for that?

If yes, what would be a fair value? I'm thinking -10% to -20%.

Also, most of the Divine Favor modifiers don't really make sense with the way I envision this power working. It's magical no divine. Does anyone have any suggestions on good modifiers for the power?
Old 01-24-2022, 09:59 AM   #16
oneofmanynameless

What's your CP budget for powers? And what TL does this character come from? Oh, and are you using multiplicative or additive modifiers?
I'm far enough along in making the template for this thread that I could make a specific powers build for a specific character so I might make a crack at it and post it.

Last edited by oneofmanynameless; 01-24-2022 at 10:18 AM.
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 07:35 AM   #17
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofmanynameless View Post
What's your CP budget for powers?
And what TL does this character come from? Oh, and are you using multiplicative or additive modifiers?
I'm far enough along in making the template for this thread that I could make a specific powers build for a specific character so I might make a crack at it and post it.
So the character would have 140 points for powers.
Standard modifiers (additive?).
They are at TL8 (why does that matter?)

Thanks for taking a crack at it.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:56 AM   #18
oneofmanynameless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
So the character would have 140 points for powers.
Standard modifiers (additive?).
They are at TL8 (why does that matter?)

Thanks for taking a crack at it.
140 points for powers is on the low side for a super. I'll see what I can do. My initial build was around 500 cp of powers. It included:
- Can summon close air support in the form of a Attack Chopper
- Can summon Armor support in the form of an APC
- Can summon a squad (2 fireteams) of mystical soldiers
- Can call in a mortor strike on a location within 1km 4 times per day
- Can call in suppressing fire on a 4 yd location within 500 yds for a total of 25 seconds per day.
- Can requisition standard issue military gear such that it will appear in their environment nomatter where they are.
- Has what looks like radio communication with any of the summoned support but it's actually psychic.

Standard modifiers is additive, and would make that more expensive then the 500 cp I have. The easy solution for making this a lot cheaper is going to be just buy a very powerful patron and go through the process of invoking them every time you want help. Then buy specific "miracles/backup" on a case by case basis as alternate abilities to that patron as you go on. (A 30 cp patron, with power modifier, highly accessible, special abilities, and minimal intervention. That's how the Divine Favor ability in that book is built so you can just use the prices for that trait. Maybe change change the petition and reaction modifiers to make more sense for a military and go for it.)

When I was building specific abilities, like the mortor strike and suppressing fire, I modeled their damage on weapons in high-tech. TL determines what would be typical. A TL 6 soldier invoking a tl6 mortor strike might have slightly different statistics then a TL8 soldier invoking a mortor strike, if you want to get very detailed about things.

Last edited by oneofmanynameless; 01-25-2022 at 10:17 AM.
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allies, summoning