Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-18-2013, 04:04 AM   #41
vierasmarius

Default Re: Is there any setting/game that GURPS CAN'T do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joppeknol View Post
Another trope in this genre is that he shoots these mooks without problems until he gets to the Big Bad Guy, and then suddenly he starts to miss even though the bad guy, just as the hero, doesn't really seem to be dodging. Suddenly the warrior meets another warrior of his own level.
I'd say that's just a setting feature that a successful Dodge doesn't require the defender to actually move, unless it's a Retreating Dodge or Dodge and Drop. Dodging would still spoil Aim, but "on screen" that would be shown as the defender "flinching" while bullets rain down around him.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:42 AM   #42
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermane View Post
So this is a question that I came up with while browsing /tg/ earlier today... I decided to ask it here instead of there because they seem to REALLY dislike GURPS.

So my challenge to you is to think of some setting, that can't be done in GURPS. Almost anything that I've thought of so far could possibly work with the right rules.
GURPS dislikes absolutes and infinities. Rabidly. Anything that requires those to be built as an advantage isn't permitted absent the GM invoking Rule 0.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:30 AM   #43
Blind Mapmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
GURPS dislikes absolutes and infinities. Rabidly. Anything that requires those to be built as an advantage isn't permitted absent the GM invoking Rule 0.
Unless it can reasonably be explained as an Immunity. Resisting some absolute powers can also be explained as ancillary to the actual function of the absolute power, e.g. the user was distracted by something else instead of the victim actually resisting on their own merits. You can easily build (costly) powers that can only be resisted on a critical success.
Blind Mapmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:10 AM   #44
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Really? I think I've seen other people claim that GURPS Mage: The Ascension was actually more understandable and more usable than the first edition of Mage: The Ascension. Could you expand on your comment?
I should qualify my comment, in fairness: I never read GURPS: MTA, after being turned off by the conversions in GURPS: VTM and GURPS: WTA. WW: MTA 1st ed was deeply flawed, compared to the 2e (which I loved so much I started a now-dead online game featuring it) so I could see this happening.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #45
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
I should qualify my comment, in fairness: I never read GURPS: MTA, after being turned off by the conversions in GURPS: VTM and GURPS: WTA. WW: MTA 1st ed was deeply flawed, compared to the 2e (which I loved so much I started a now-dead online game featuring it) so I could see this happening.
I'm a big fan of M:tA 2/e myself; I ran one of my more successful campaigns in it, after picking up a used copy quite some time back. I've never done more than casually glance at 1/e. GURPS M:tA seems like a pretty decent book, but it has a few too many complexities of mechanics to suit me, perhaps because it's trying to track the mechanics of M:tA fairly closely—but I haven't compared it with M:tA 1/e, which I think is the standard of comparison that's being used.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:38 AM   #46
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I'm a big fan of M:tA 2/e myself; I ran one of my more successful campaigns in it, after picking up a used copy quite some time back. I've never done more than casually glance at 1/e. [snip]
Yeah, WW: MTA 2e is one of the few cases in which the home system is IMHO great and probably better for the intent than GURPS 4e (though GURPS 4e could do well with it). GURPS is still better if you want to integrate multiple WOD factions smoothly, but for a pure MTA game MTA: 2e is, for most people, probably where it's at.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #47
Keiko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joppeknol View Post
- He is just a normal dad who happens to be a former commando. Nothing supernatural or special about him.

Nothing "supernatural" no, but he's one of elite, a super badass in a world where that means he's just flat out better than most people, call it luck, karma or super skill. There's nothing "supernatural" about characters like Batman either they're just highly cinematic "normal" people, they don't play by the same rules as the "real world".
Keiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #48
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
Nothing "supernatural" no, but he's one of elite, a super badass in a world where that means he's just flat out better than most people, call it luck, karma or super skill. There's nothing "supernatural" about characters like Batman either they're just highly cinematic "normal" people, they don't play by the same rules as the "real world".
...and are worth more points than the average Super including spending a lot for effects that ensure/fake success (in Batman's case).
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #49
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
Well, I know some things GURPS can never do:

Never gonna give you up,
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry,
Never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you
It can do anything you like ... but it won't do that. No it won't do that..
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #50
JimMarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
Didn't the cyborgs have human brains in a cyborg body?

I could imagine a steampunk cyborg with a human brain. Though I'd make the cyborgs larger than humans to fit in all the steam piping.

And many steampunk stories have automatons.

In my latest game in the DJverse I have a "steampunk" asteroid base. When the Shattering wrecked the tech, they managed to salvage the fission reactor and are using it for steam power and heating throughout the main base. They have a few ship hulls that they ripped out all the non-working stuff (saving it for later) and put in stuff that they could still make and repair. 500 years later and they barely have radio and radar, but they do have primitive rockets and mechanical computers. They use people at stations where we would use machinery. Their airlocks are clunky things with really thick doors of metal and leather.

Basically stuff out of an EE Doc Smith novel without the inertialless drives and beam weapons.

They don't have beam weapons, but they do have steam catapults and they have a *lot* of asteroids made up as weapons platforms to deal with raiders (space pirates).
The brains in cyborgs in GitS varied. Motoko, in the Anime episodes had a brain in a shell. Most of the rest of her was cyberized. Bateau was mostly cyberized. I'm not sure how much organic he had left. Saito had just the left eye cyberized.

I bought a translated copy of the manga all in one book. There seemed to be a number of partially cyberized people in the book.

In the Anime people didn't read books much anymore, they downloaded them to their brains, or read them online. { I'm infering some there.)

In the GURPS Steam-Tech book, I bought and downloaded the pdf, there is a Jump drive mentioned.

I noticed the use of 'cinematic only' rather often. I will take some time and decide what parts of GURPS Steampunk and Steam-Tech I'll use. Some of the ideas in there... don't think I'll use them. Others I'll modify.

I'm going to have to spend time going over those two books and determine what gets used and what doesn't.

I'll likely have a GURPS Traveller universe, and have a few planet Steampunk with Jump ships. Again, I'll have to work this out.

No, I'm not worried about canon. Stifling my imagination will be the problem.
JimMarn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gm advice