Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-02-2011, 08:55 PM   #41
Danukian

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy, Action!, Monster Hunters... what other like that would you like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Bear with my musings, here . . .

When MH1 came out, there was much rejoicing, but also a number of people who were upset that the default power level went up from the previous two series books. I heard more than a few folks say that GURPS works best with lower-powered, more realistic characters, and that we need a genre series aimed at that.
Agree! My preferred style is 125ish "Capable" heroes - a left over from CoC and Gangbusters maybe.

Quote:
That begs two questions. I'll ask them here, then answer them below:

1. Are these people right? Specifically, would a worked genre series that assumes (let's say) 75-150-point PCs be a good idea? By that, I mean would enough people buy it, and in large enough numbers for it to be profitable?
A worked out series, as well done as MH or DF? I would probably be on board for the whole run. A single book (or a Pyramid issue) focusing on low-powered gaming? It would be downloaded as soon as the link is clickable. Unfortunately, I think I am a rare minority on this one...

Quote:
2. What genre would best benefit from this treatment (and is different enough from DF/A/MH to justify doing)? What genre would work best with characters of "potential hero" power levels (instead of "full-on action hero" or higher) and a grittier, less-cinematic take on GURPS?
Pulp Heroes, Semi-Historic, Low Fantasy. Mystery/Cops also, but that is already a well done book.

Quote:
(And I suppose there's a third question mixing the first two -- even if you think the answer to #1 is, "Yes, people want this!" would the answer to #2 also be something people would buy?)
Judging by the vast majority of gamers I know (outside my group) and what I've read about sales history: an unfortunate, frustrating no...
Old 06-02-2011, 08:57 PM   #42
Luke Bunyip

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy, Action!, Monster Hunters... what other like that would you like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
1. Specifically, would a worked genre series that assumes (let's say) 75-150-point PCs be a good idea? By that, I mean would enough people buy it, and in large enough numbers for it to be profitable?
To be frank, as a GM I am rather intimidated by 400pt PCs and the requisite monsters. One of my players was a bit daunted by it as well.

I would be happy with a lower point level.

Quote:
2. What genre would best benefit from this treatment (and is different enough from DF/A/MH to justify doing)? What genre would work best with characters of "potential hero" power levels (instead of "full-on action hero" or higher) and a grittier, less-cinematic take on GURPS?
"Average people in unusual circumstances". Sort of Zombieapocolypse/Raptor Attack/Jericho(TV)/Tremors type set-up.

Quote:
(And I suppose there's a third question mixing the first two -- even if you think the answer to #1 is, "Yes, people want this!" would the answer to #2 also be something people would buy?)
My players like to kill things. Not very sophisticated, but that is what they like to do . They just like unusual settings to do it within. So a thinly disguised modern day version of DF would do the trick.

Maybe Bughunt. Players could start on a interstellar colonial transport ship, get woken up from cryosleep mid journey, and have to fight space zombies, alien space pirates, etc.

Last edited by Luke Bunyip; 06-02-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Luke Bunyip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:07 PM   #43
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Bunyip View Post
"Average people in unusual circumstances". Sort of Zombieapocolypse/Raptor Attack/Jericho(TV)/Tremors type set-up.
Dur, I'm retarded to have not thought of this. GURPS Zombie Apocalypse. I bet it'd sell like hotcakes, and you can use low-point PCs.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:11 PM   #44
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
Dur, I'm retarded to have not thought of this. GURPS Zombie Apocalypse. I bet it'd sell like hotcakes, and you can use low-point PCs.
For that, you can use really low point PCs. I just don't think you can get an entire series out of it.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:15 PM   #45
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
For that, you can use really low point PCs. I just don't think you can get an entire series out of it.
Nah, you can do the "regular folks" stuff, or you can have Burt Gummer, John McClaine, and Walt Kowalski. Plus there's the immediate infection, combined with long term survival once things start to stabilize a bit. Not to mention all the flavors of zombie. Basically, look at all of All Flesh Must Be Eaten and the supplement One Of The Living, GURPS style.

Semper Fi
Old 06-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #46
Johnny Angel

I have an idea, but I'm unsure of a good name.

GURPSzilla; GURPS: Rampage; GURPS: King of Monsters... hmm... I dunno

Anyway, the genre would be giant monsters in the vein of King Kong, Godzilla, and etc.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I would also love a Pro-Wrestling Themed series of books. The templates would be easy to do - brawler, big guy, lucha libre, sneaky weasel, etc.

edit: GURPS: Kayfabe?
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:28 PM   #47
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
Or more broadly GURPS Survival Horror.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:33 PM   #48
martin_rook

Quote:
Originally Posted by the adventurer View Post
Turn GURPS Technomancer into a streamlined series.
No... Technomancer's a rich setting (which I'd love to see a 4th edition book for), while Action, MH, DF and the hypothetical Bughunt/Space Marines are all genres.

You could do Monster Hunters in the Technomancer setting, for example.
martin_rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:20 PM   #49
the adventurer

Good point. I guess I got mixed up.

I like the sound of GURPS Noir, and GURPS Survival Horror. But, and I haven't bough Monster Hunters yet, wouldn't that be something Monster Hunter could cover, maybe in a supplement that deals with lower powerleveled characters?
the adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:23 PM   #50
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by the adventurer View Post
Good point. I guess I got mixed up.

I like the sound of GURPS Noir, and GURPS Survival Horror. But, and I haven't bough Monster Hunters yet, wouldn't that be something Monster Hunter could cover, maybe in a supplement that deals with lower powerleveled characters?
It could, I suppose, in the same sense that you could use Action to cover a lot of Monster Hunters. But the whole point of Action/DF/MH is that they're worked genre examples. There will eventually be some overlap.

And there are some elements to each genre not really covered by MH. MH has investigation, but doesn't cover dealing with corrupt organizations with more power than you as much as Noir should probably cover, and there are certainly monsters for survival horror in MH, but there aren't rules for wilderness survival or scavenging like a survival horror book should have.

Semper Fi

Last edited by Crakkerjakk; 06-02-2011 at 10:27 PM.

Tags
action, dungeon fantasy, monster hunters