Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Default Monster Hunters in San Diego

As I’m planning on making my next campaign a Monster Hunter campaign located in San Diego, which I visited for a few days 20 years ago, I have a few questions about the place.

What are some interesting places to visit?
Are there any mysterious/occult ties to San Diego?
Or any interesting people or events or conspiracies?
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Monster Hunters in San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
As I’m planning on making my next campaign a Monster Hunter campaign located in San Diego, which I visited for a few days 20 years ago, I have a few questions about the place.

What are some interesting places to visit?
Are there any mysterious/occult ties to San Diego?
Or any interesting people or events or conspiracies?
What period is the campaign? (I actually live in San Diego, and have for over 50 years. I might have some information.)

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:25 PM   #3
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

It will take place now or in other words, the starting date for the characters will not be far from the starting date for the players.

Though when that will be depends on when MH1 is released, how much tweaking I’ll have to do, how much time the rest of my preparations will take, and when my current campaign will end.

So basically as it is now, but adding things from the past that can be actualized for the present.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #4
whswhs

Quote:
So basically as it is now, but adding things from the past that can be actualized for the present.
Do you know about Katherine Tingley's setting up an international headquarters for the Theosophical Society in the Point Loma area in 1900? L. Frank Baum's living on Coronado for much of his later life while he was writing Oz books? Robert Heinlein's short period of shore duty at North Island in 1932, with his second wife, Leslyn, living in Coronado? (Leslyn was a practicing self-taught witch who later developed ties with Jack Parsons and L. Ron Hubbard.)

I'll see what else I can come up with.

Bill Stoddard
Old 04-04-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
whswhs

You might like to research the Heaven's Gate flying saucer cult, the group that committed mass suicide some years back. In fact, one of my fellow players in a Changeling campaign had just decided that his changeling has started a flying saucer cult as a way to harvest glamour, and then a month later the suicides hit the news. Creepy!

Bill Stoddard
Old 05-15-2011, 12:38 PM   #6
griffin

Quote:
So have you kicked off your campaign? If not any progess in planning it? How are things going?
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #7
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

It has not started yet. whswhs gave me a few interesting ideas that I'm going to use. I've set up some good guy NPCs and have some ideas for bad guys, but I'm waiting for MH3 to work on them. I am also looking for some locations where stuff can happen, but I've only picked one so far.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:09 PM   #8
dcarson

The Zoo is major and there is a associated safari park with exotic plants as well as animals. Could be useful for exotic ingredients for rituals. Either by the players or for them to figure out.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:14 PM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

The USMC has a connection to San Diego of course, one of the two Recruit Depots (Boot Camp) is there, and the 1st Division is based in nearby Pendelton.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:45 PM   #10
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
The Zoo is major and there is a associated safari park with exotic plants as well as animals. Could be useful for exotic ingredients for rituals. Either by the players or for them to figure out.
Along the same lines, there's Sea World. And for biotech, there's UC San Diego and the associated industrial firms.

Bill Stoddard

Tags
monster hunters