Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-26-2016, 05:17 AM   #1
thecommabandit

Default Hard Maths: Content Posts

I started a blog back in February to share all the random content. items and rules I made for custom settings, because I'm a perennial tweaker. After a period of inactivity over summer due to work, I'm back on the wagon again, trying to post twice a week to build up a habit. I've got no shortage of ideas, I'm just a perfectionist about my posts!

My posts tend to focus on science fiction and ultra-tech, not deliberately but just because I find it interesting and get lots of ideas. I do also have some fantasy and Infinite Worlds content kicking around though. Here's a small selection of previous posts:
  • Ars Mundi: Redpowder – A fantasy-tech/weird-science/superscience alternative to gunpowder that makes lasers instead of explosions. I give a way to modify the stats of existing firearms to use it, plus a discussion of it as a setting element.
  • Equipment Locker: Battlesuit Point Defence – A discussion of using light laser weapons mounted on a battlesuit as point-defence against missiles, prompted by the gut-crunching efficacy of small-calibre HEMP rounds against even milspec battlesuits.
  • Equipment Locker: Boser Weapons – Probably one of my most popular posts to date based on views, this is a discussion of how to make lasers that work with atoms instead of photons, inspired by Alastair Reynolds' novel Revelation Space, with statistics and a GURPS-style write-up.
  • Reliquary: Karpov Arms LBV-M47 – A Kalashnikov-style laser rifle that's impossible to break, built with Pulver's Blaster and Laser Design system.
  • Utility Closet: Armour Design Spreadsheet – A quick Google spreadsheet that collates all the surface areas, constructions and materials from the three parts of Pulver's armour design system in one place.

Last edited by thecommabandit; 11-28-2016 at 07:12 AM.
thecommabandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 05:22 AM   #2
thecommabandit

Default Re: Hard Maths: Content Posts

Today's post is Equipment Locker: Sonic Disruptors. I've long been a fan of TheRyuijinLP's blog GURB, and his recent post inspired me to do a TL-update of sonic screamers, which I was always ambivalent whether I'd liked them or not. Updating them to TL10^ and giving them an actually useful range makes me want to find more excuses to use them.

(Also I seem to have forgotten my avatar before posting this thread - d'oh!)
Old 11-26-2016, 05:33 AM   #3
Christopher R. Rice

Welcome to the Brotherhood of Bloggers Who Blog Too Much! Your decoder ring is in the mail.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 05:41 PM   #4
The_Ryujin

Heh, welcome to the club man.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:47 PM   #5
Mailanka

Oh, YOU'RE Hard Maths! I've actually been following your blog for awhile. It's fantastic stuff! So good, in fact, I'd like to fold some of it into Heroes of the Galactic Frontier, once I get to it.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:25 AM   #6
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

After taking a look at the Point Defense page, I think it deserves a thread for discussing its rules-legality (e.g. out-of-turn Aim) and other things. Or more likely *yet another* thread on the topic.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:01 AM   #7
thecommabandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
After taking a look at the Point Defense page, I think it deserves a thread for discussing its rules-legality (e.g. out-of-turn Aim) and other things. Or more likely *yet another* thread on the topic.
Out of turn Aim? I'm not familiar with you mean by that. As far as I figured it out, the PD computer is basically taking a Wait manoeuvre, queuing up an Aim followed up an All-Out-Attack (Determined). It seemed totally rule-legal to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
Oh, YOU'RE Hard Maths! I've actually been following your blog for awhile. It's fantastic stuff! So good, in fact, I'd like to fold some of it into Heroes of the Galactic Frontier, once I get to it.
Hah, I thought I'd mentioned it on the Discord! Thanks for the feedback - what parts were you thinking of using?
Old 11-27-2016, 09:20 AM   #8
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecommabandit View Post
Hah, I thought I'd mentioned it on the Discord! Thanks for the feedback - what parts were you thinking of using?
Bosers would make an excellent addition to Heroes of the Galactic Frontier. I'm always on the hunt for the less-than-cosmic TL 12^ technology because Heroes of the Galactic Frontier needs of lots of relatively mutually balanced technologies, and this one makes an excellent addition (it's a good stand-in for Star Trek's "matter disruptors")

Battlesuit Point Defense is something I've been tinkering with including in G-Verse, as I'd like even more detailed battlesuits for my heavy marines.

Pressor Weapons would make a great Warhammer 40k addition (they're basically Thunder Hammers), but I think they'd fit nicely into Psi-Wars, but I'd have to look more closely at them.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:30 AM   #9
apoc527

Hard Maths, Mailanka's Musings, and GURB -- the bestest sci-fi GURPS blogs ever assembled!

Currently Playing: GURPS Banestorm: The Symmetry of Darkness

Inactive:
Star*Drive: 2525-Hunting for Fun and Profit
My THS Campaign-In the Shadows of Venus
Yrth--The Legend Begins
The XCOM Apocalypse
apoc527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:12 AM   #10
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoc527 View Post
Hard Maths, Mailanka's Musings, and GURB -- the bestest sci-fi GURPS blogs ever assembled!
We're busy persuading a guy to start a fourth.

Tags
blog, blogs, gurps, ultra-tech