Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-01-2014, 09:26 PM   #11
Thunderjoe

Default Re: [MH] 1920's Monster Hunter Game

I was using regeration slow and rapid healing because I felt that regen normal was too fast and one of the others wasn't enough. I should probably go back and revamp that to regen at 1 every 3 hours or something for like 20 points.

Everyone that has powers at the moment are for divine reasons(the wrestler has blessed: heroic feats at 2d, and the inquisitor has sense supernatural).

I'm requiring everyone have one point in brawling, climbing, hiking, guns(something), holdout, a social skill of their choice, and their choice of driving(automobiles), riding(equine), or teamster(equine).
I can borrow the other monster hunter books right now. I have the article though.

I like the character suggestions so far. The biggest problem is with the boxer. Am I missing something about the Fist! skill that I'm missing. It seems to be just more expensive than just taking brawling since the player seems content to just punch and not use the variety of stuff that Fist! will give him. Right now he has 15 ST and 20 HP while the rest of the party have 13-15 HP. Is that really too low? 25-30 better? and should I just give him regen( normal) so that he can keep his health up? I want him to be able to survive while not appearing to just go wolverine and regen his health in a few seconds or minutes.

I've been debating getting How to be a GURPS GM. Is it that helpful?

A half werecat(kind of stuck in a middle form between the two) witch has joined the party now. I'm of the impression that one or two of the players will quit because of not liking GURPS, the players, or me so I'm not worried about managing all the players at the moment. I'll be using RPM so I'm worried about having to look up the modifiers for spells. Is there a cheat sheet somewhere or should I just write myself up one? Also not worried about the were cat part make her overpowered. The bonuses are limited to a weak extra arm(tail), night vision, silence, and cat fall while the disadvantages are balanced. She is very much a flapper that is very vain about her apperence and is attempting to prove that she's just not some evil monster that should be killed.

Thanks for the help so far.
Thunderjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:40 PM   #12
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderjoe View Post
I was using regeration slow and rapid healing because I felt that regen normal was too fast and one of the others wasn't enough. I should probably go back and revamp that to regen at 1 every 3 hours or something for like 20 points.
Regeneration (Slow) + Very Rapid Healing results in 1 HP/6 hours according to PK (the assistant Line Editor).

Quote:
Everyone that has powers at the moment are for divine reasons(the wrestler has blessed: heroic feats at 2d, and the inquisitor has sense supernatural).
Cool.

Quote:
I'm requiring everyone have one point in brawling, climbing, hiking, guns(something), holdout, a social skill of their choice, and their choice of driving(automobiles), riding(equine), or teamster(equine).
Excellent choices.

Quote:
I can borrow the other monster hunter books right now. I have the article though.
Good! That'll make things much easier for you.

Quote:
I like the character suggestions so far. The biggest problem is with the boxer. Am I missing something about the Fist! skill that I'm missing. It seems to be just more expensive than just taking brawling since the player seems content to just punch and not use the variety of stuff that Fist! will give him. Right now he has 15 ST and 20 HP while the rest of the party have 13-15 HP. Is that really too low? 25-30 better? and should I just give him regen( normal) so that he can keep his health up? I want him to be able to survive while not appearing to just go wolverine and regen his health in a few seconds or minutes.
As the creator of Fist! It's incredibly useful. You get all +1 per die to damage with strikes, slams, shoves, etc. and +1 to ST for all grappling purposes. You get no penalty for parrying weapons, aren't penalized by encumbrance, and can retreat with a full +3 bonus. That is huge. Still, if you wanted to you could allow the bonus to increase further, giving a +3 per die at Attribute+4. Plus the use of Wildcard Points to add in combat-related rolls. And yes, if you're going to tackle vampires or werewolves in hand to hand combat (sans weaponry) you're going to need to either take a hit or have a glass jaw. Can I suggest silver-coated brass knuckles or a cestus for your boxer?

Quote:
I've been debating getting How to be a GURPS GM. Is it that helpful?
I've been running games for twenty years, half of those GURPS. I'm also a writer and game designer for the system and I still found useful bits in that book.

Quote:
A half werecat(kind of stuck in a middle form between the two) witch has joined the party now. I'm of the impression that one or two of the players will quit because of not liking GURPS, the players, or me so I'm not worried about managing all the players at the moment.
Quote:
Also not worried about the were cat part make her overpowered. The bonuses are limited to a weak extra arm(tail), night vision, silence, and cat fall while the disadvantages are balanced. She is very much a flapper that is very vain about her apperence and is attempting to prove that she's just not some evil monster that should be killed.
Cool! I'd like to see the write-up for that whenever you have time should you wish to post it.

Quote:
I'll be using RPM so I'm worried about having to look up the modifiers for spells. Is there a cheat sheet somewhere or should I just write myself up one?
RPM really isn't as complex as it looks. It takes a bit of getting used to - but not complex. If you have issues hit the forums and start a thread someone will answer it. I typically answer such threads within the hour unless I'm asleep. I think Onkl wrote up one somewhere, but most of the cheat sheets have to reproduce a lot of material so they aren't available to the public by those who wrote them. PM me your email and I'll share the one I have with you.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!

Last edited by Christopher R. Rice; 09-01-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:45 PM   #13
Thunderjoe

I glanced over the full retreat parry bonus and no negatives to encumberence. That actually might be worth it then. I stat it up and run it by the player.

The were cat is:
ST: 10 DX: 12[40] IQ: 14[40] HT: 12[20]
Will: 12[-10] Basic Speed: 6 Basic Move: 6 FP: 12 HP: 13[3] Perception: 14

Racial Template gives her:
Catfall [10]
Claws, Sharp(hands, switchable +100%) [10]
Flexibility [5]
Extra Arm, tail(Extra-Flexable +50%, No Physical Attack -50%, 1/4 ST -50%) [5]
Night Vision 2 [2]
Silence 1 [5]
Supernatural Features (small fangs) [-5]
Supernatural Features (cat ears) [-10]
Supernatural Features (Cat Tail) [-10]
Secret(cat person, utter rejection) [-10]

She then has:

Appearence(Very Attractive) [8]
Native Language: English [0]
Magery 2 (uncontrollable, mitigator amulet -15%) [22]
Ritual Adept (uncontrollable, mitigator amulet -15%) [34]
Talent(Allure) 1 [5]

Chummy [-5]
Compulsive Carousing(12) [-5]
Compulsive Spending(clothes, 6) [-10]
Extra Sleep 2 [-4]
Curious(12) [-5]
Guilt Complex [-5]
Lecherousness(15) [-7]
Skinny [-5]
Vow(never kill a human) [-10]
Sense of Duty(teammates) [-5]
And 5 quirks that are as much for comidic value as for characterization.

Skills:
Guns(pistol) 13 [2]
Research 13 [1]
Thaumatology 15 [4]
Throwing 11 [1]
Path: Body 15 [12]
Path: Chance 11 [1]
Path: Crossroads 13 [4]
Path: Energy 14 [8]
Path: Magic 11 [1]
Path: Matter 11 [1]
Path: Spirit 11 [1]
Path: Undead 11 [1]
Path Mind 11 [1]
Acrobatics 11 [2]
Brawling 12 [1]
Acting 13 [1]
Carousing 12 [1]
Hidden Lore(Lycanthropes) 13 [1]
Observation 13 [1]
Performance 13 [1]
Savoir-Faire(magical) 14 [1]
Stealth 13 [1]

Climbing 14 [1]
Dancing 12 [1]
Diagnosis 12 [1]
Erotic Art 12 [1]
Escape 13 [1]
Gambling 13 [1]
Gesture 14 [1]
Hiking 11 [1]
Holdout 13 [1]
Jumping 12 [1]
Makeup 15 [1]
Running 11 [1]
Scrounging 14 [1]
Sex Appeal 12 [1]
Singing 13 [1]
Urban Survival 13 [1]

The racial template is more form fitting to his character concept than anything. This is the only guy that insisted on making his character himself. That's why he is leaded up with disadvantages and stuff. I'm going to make him cut off a good bit of them. At the moment I'm not too worried because the character doesn't need to be done until the first real session in 2wweeks and this is simply a first draft. Gonna have to tell him that a lot of his stuff will probably need to go because of the point limit. Also the supernatural features stacking seems weird.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:58 AM   #14
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
I glanced over the full retreat parry bonus and no negatives to encumberence. That actually might be worth it then. I stat it up and run it by the player.
It's incredibly useful. You can also specialize in techniques or perks with Fist! (e.g., Rapid Retraction (Fist!) applies to your kicks, punchs, or other natural attacks - not just one).

Quote:
The were cat is:
ST: 10 DX: 12[40] IQ: 14[40] HT: 12[20]
Will: 12[-10] Basic Speed: 6 Basic Move: 6 FP: 12 HP: 13[3] Perception: 14

Racial Template gives her:
Catfall [10]
Claws, Sharp(hands, switchable +100%) [10]
Flexibility [5]
Extra Arm, tail(Extra-Flexable +50%, No Physical Attack -50%, 1/4 ST -50%) [5]
Night Vision 2 [2]
Silence 1 [5]
Supernatural Features (small fangs) [-5]
Supernatural Features (cat ears) [-10]
Supernatural Features (Cat Tail) [-10]
Secret(cat person, utter rejection) [-10]

She then has:

Appearence(Very Attractive) [8]
Native Language: English [0]
Magery 2 (uncontrollable, mitigator amulet -15%) [22]
Ritual Adept (uncontrollable, mitigator amulet -15%) [34]
Talent(Allure) 1 [5]

Chummy [-5]
Compulsive Carousing(12) [-5]
Compulsive Spending(clothes, 6) [-10]
Extra Sleep 2 [-4]
Curious(12) [-5]
Guilt Complex [-5]
Lecherousness(15) [-7]
Skinny [-5]
Vow(never kill a human) [-10]
Sense of Duty(teammates) [-5]
And 5 quirks that are as much for comidic value as for characterization.

Skills:
Guns(pistol) 13 [2]
Research 13 [1]
Thaumatology 15 [4]
Throwing 11 [1]
Path: Body 15 [12]
Path: Chance 11 [1]
Path: Crossroads 13 [4]
Path: Energy 14 [8]
Path: Magic 11 [1]
Path: Matter 11 [1]
Path: Spirit 11 [1]
Path: Undead 11 [1]
Path Mind 11 [1]
Acrobatics 11 [2]
Brawling 12 [1]
Acting 13 [1]
Carousing 12 [1]
Hidden Lore(Lycanthropes) 13 [1]
Observation 13 [1]
Performance 13 [1]
Savoir-Faire(magical) 14 [1]
Stealth 13 [1]

Climbing 14 [1]
Dancing 12 [1]
Diagnosis 12 [1]
Erotic Art 12 [1]
Escape 13 [1]
Gambling 13 [1]
Gesture 14 [1]
Hiking 11 [1]
Holdout 13 [1]
Jumping 12 [1]
Makeup 15 [1]
Running 11 [1]
Scrounging 14 [1]
Sex Appeal 12 [1]
Singing 13 [1]
Urban Survival 13 [1]
Couple things about this character template:
  • IQ costs 20/level - not 10/level.
  • HP costs 2/level - not 3/level, that's FP.
  • Secret only works if she looks like a normal person through magic or supernatural power or the like.
  • Appearance (Very Attractive) is not 8 points, but 16 points.
  • Magery and Ritual Adept's "Uncontrollable, Mitagator" doesn't work exactly like that. It should be listed as "Uncontrollable or Mitagator, Amulet, -21%" and that assumes that without the amulet the character is going to cast dangerous spells without a Will roll. If it's harmless stuff like bubbles from no where or farting noises or whatever it drops to -7%.
  • Compulsive Spending for clothing only is a quirk at best.
  • Savoir-Faire (Magic) should probably be generalized to Savoir-Faire (Supernatural) assuming there are Monster Underworlds (GURPS Monster Hunters 2, p. 9)
  • I'd let the character buy a prehensile tail as a character trait vs. one that's on the racial template.

You can of course, do as you like - these are just helpful pointers. :-)

Quote:
The racial template is more form fitting to his character concept than anything. This is the only guy that insisted on making his character himself. That's why he is leaded up with disadvantages and stuff. I'm going to make him cut off a good bit of them. At the moment I'm not too worried because the character doesn't need to be done until the first real session in 2wweeks and this is simply a first draft. Gonna have to tell him that a lot of his stuff will probably need to go because of the point limit. Also the supernatural features stacking seems weird.
Supernatural features can stack...but not in that way.

If I were you, I'd do a little backwork on the character. First, she's basically a werecat that got "stuck" in her half-form, right? I'd create the werecat template for using a Inhuman template (As such)

Were-Housecat (125 points)
Gain DX+4 [48] HT+2 [20]; Perception +2 [10]; Will+1 [5]; Basic Move +4 [20]; Cannot Speak [-15]; Catfall [10]; Claws (Sharp) [5]; Double-Jointed [15]; Fur [1]; Night Vision 5 [5]; Perfect Balance [15]; Quadruped [-35]; Silence 2 [10]; Teeth (Sharp) [1]; Vibration Sense (Air) [10].

This assumes (like all lycanthrope templates that you become a animal with mass equal to your own...so while you look like a housecat - it's a panther sized one.

Now, going from here I'd use the rules for the Inhuman-Blooded variation of the Gifted template (GURPS Monster Hunters 4, p. 10) and use the following lens:

Shiftstuck: You once had the ability to shift your form between your human one and your animal one, but through a quirk of biology or fate or something else you ended up becoming "stuck" between your human and animal form. Choose up to 70 points of advantages from your were-form template and -20 points from among the following: Appearance [varies], Disturbing Voice [-10], Lunacy [-10], Unnatural Features (animal eyes, tail, etc.) [-1 to -5*], Vulnerability to Silver (x2 to x4) [-10, -15, or -20], or any disadvantage on your animal form's template.

Become a Patron!
Old 09-02-2014, 11:51 AM   #15
Thunderjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Couple things about this character template:
  • IQ costs 20/level - not 10/level.
  • HP costs 2/level - not 3/level, that's FP.
Opps, typos. :/

Quote:
  • Secret only works if she looks like a normal person through magic or supernatural power or the like.
That's probably going to be ditched then as her disguises tend to be mundane in nature.

Quote:
  • Appearance (Very Attractive) is not 8 points, but 16 points.
It's supposed to be an in between of the 4 point and 12 point version because we thought the jump was too extreme.

Quote:
  • Magery and Ritual Adept's "Uncontrollable, Mitagator" doesn't work exactly like that. It should be listed as "Uncontrollable or Mitagator, Amulet, -21%" and that assumes that without the amulet the character is going to cast dangerous spells without a Will roll. If it's harmless stuff like bubbles from no where or farting noises or whatever it drops to -7%.
That's actually exactly what the player wanted. XD But thank you for fixing the point values.

Quote:
  • Compulsive Spending for clothing only is a quirk at best.
Probably, a lot of the disadvantages need dumped anyway.

Quote:
  • Savoir-Faire (Magic) should probably be generalized to Savoir-Faire (Supernatural) assuming there are Monster Underworlds (GURPS Monster Hunters 2, p. 9)
  • I'd let the character buy a prehensile tail as a character trait vs. one that's on the racial template.
Both good ideas.

Quote:
Supernatural features can stack...but not in that way.
I figured as much. They stack into the same disadvantage right?

Quote:
If I were you, I'd do a little backwork on the character. First, she's basically a werecat that got "stuck" in her half-form, right? I'd create the werecat template for using a Inhuman template (As such)

Were-Housecat (125 points)
Gain DX+4 [48] HT+2 [20]; Perception +2 [10]; Will+1 [5]; Basic Move +4 [20]; Cannot Speak [-15]; Catfall [10]; Claws (Sharp) [5]; Double-Jointed [15]; Fur [1]; Night Vision 5 [5]; Perfect Balance [15]; Quadruped [-35]; Silence 2 [10]; Teeth (Sharp) [1]; Vibration Sense (Air) [10].

This assumes (like all lycanthrope templates that you become a animal with mass equal to your own...so while you look like a housecat - it's a panther sized one.

Now, going from here I'd use the rules for the Inhuman-Blooded variation of the Gifted template (GURPS Monster Hunters 4, p. 10) and use the following lens:

Shiftstuck: You once had the ability to shift your form between your human one and your animal one, but through a quirk of biology or fate or something else you ended up becoming "stuck" between your human and animal form. Choose up to 70 points of advantages from your were-form template and -20 points from among the following: Appearance [varies], Disturbing Voice [-10], Lunacy [-10], Unnatural Features (animal eyes, tail, etc.) [-1 to -5*], Vulnerability to Silver (x2 to x4) [-10, -15, or -20], or any disadvantage on your animal form's template.
I like most of this, especially the werecat template, but the problem I'm having is that the player wants the character to be a capable mage and for the werecat thing to be mostly for flavor. I think it would be better to make her as a Magician and give her a custom motivational lens, something like:

Half Blood Atoner(15 Points):
Whether by magic or other means you're half monster and have rebelled against it's influence. You now hunt the real monsters. This can be for many reasons such as trying to prove that you're more human than monster, a hatred of what you're creators are, or because they see you as a traitor and want to kill you.

Advantages: Choose 45 Points from among Will +1 or +2 [5/level], Higher Purpose(hunt one kind of monster), and any of the advantages available from your racial template.
Disadvantages: Choose one of Enemies (Monster of the week; 9 or less; Unknown) [-15], Fanaticism (The Mission) [-15], Obsession (Rid the world of EVIL monsters) (9) [-15], or Sense of Duty (Humanity) [-15]. Choose 15 points from among Appearance [varies], Unnatural Features (horns, tail, skin tone, etc.) [-1 to -5*], and any disadvantages included in your racial template.

The goal is to allow him to make the characterization he wants without hurting his ability to cast spells too much and without making him overpowered. Also is ritual adept almost out the window just because of the point level?

Last edited by Thunderjoe; 09-02-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:18 PM   #16
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Opps, typos. :/
Happens to everyone.

Quote:
That's probably going to be ditched then as her disguises tend to be mundane in nature.
Nope. That works too - it's the disguise that's the needed element.

Quote:
It's supposed to be an in between of the 4 point and 12 point version because we thought the jump was too extreme.
Ahh, House Rule then - Okay.

Quote:
That's actually exactly what the player wanted. XD But thank you for fixing the point values.
Sure. :-)

Quote:
Probably, a lot of the disadvantages need dumped anyway.
Quirks are useful things and can help you characterize your concept better than disads sometimes.

Quote:
I figured as much. They stack into the same disadvantage right?
Well, sort of. But what the player was describing is a Unnatural Feature or a collection of features that would be something like "Supernatural Features (Werecat)" with a value depending on how pronounced they are. -5 or so is probably perfect for a "cat girl" type, while -10 or more is good for a Island of Dr. Moreau type.

Quote:
Half Blood Atoner(15 Points):
Whether by magic or other means you're half monster and have rebelled against it's influence. You now hunt the real monsters. This can be for many reasons such as trying to prove that you're more human than monster, a hatred of what you're creators are, or because they see you as a traitor and want to kill you.

Advantages: Choose 45 Points from among Will +1 or +2 [5/level], Higher Purpose(hunt one kind of monster), and any of the advantages available from your racial template.
Disadvantages: Choose one of Enemies (Monster of the week; 9 or less; Unknown) [-15], Fanaticism (The Mission) [-15], Obsession (Rid the world of EVIL monsters) (9) [-15], or Sense of Duty (Humanity) [-15]. Choose 15 points from among Appearance [varies], Unnatural Features (horns, tail, skin tone, etc.) [-1 to -5*], and any disadvantages included in your racial template.
That works too.

Quote:
The goal is to allow him to make the characterization he wants without hurting his ability to cast spells too much and without making him overpowered. Also is ritual adept almost out the window just because of the point level?
I've built a Adept on 150 points before - it was tough, but possible. If the player has a specific path he wants to be good at and use Adept for you could limit it further so it only works for that Path. For example, "Ritual Adept (Limited Scope, Path of Body, -30%; Uncontrollable or Mitagator, Amulet, -21%) [20]" might be a option

Become a Patron!
Old 09-02-2014, 12:24 PM   #17
vierasmarius

Quote:
Also is ritual adept almost out the window just because of the point level?
Probably so, yes. The 200 point Magician template (MH4:11) has 55 points in Magery and casting skills, plus 80 points in IQ and 20 discretionary points that could go into Magery, Ritual Mastery perks, etc. Even then there's a lot of room for improvement before the benefits of Adept will really become important.

Quote:
For example, "Ritual Adept (Limited Scope, Path of Body, -30%; Uncontrollable or Mitagator, Amulet, -21%) [20]" might be a option
A small quibble with your wording here. Mitigator isn't an alternate limitation on Adept, it's a limitation on the Uncontrollable limitation. This gives Uncontrollable (Mitigator -60%) -12%. Or it's not Mitigator, but a Gadget limitation. Uncontrollable -30% or Gadget -40% gives a total of -12% as well (but Gadget could vary significantly). I suspect your -21% comes from Uncontrollable's -30% times (one version of) Mitigator's -70%, which isn't correct.

Last edited by vierasmarius; 09-02-2014 at 12:34 PM.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:54 PM   #18
PK

Quote:
Regeneration (Slow) + Very Rapid Healing results in 1 HP/6 hours according to PK (the assistant Line Editor).
This is misleading, so let me be clear: This was my interpretation of things as a GM before I became the Assistant Line Editor. It is not canonical nor RAW. (It's definitely the case in my games, mind you, but Kromm has not supported this interpretation, and it is thus not the official one.)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:24 PM   #19
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
A small quibble with your wording here. Mitigator isn't an alternate limitation on Adept, it's a limitation on the Uncontrollable limitation. This gives Uncontrollable (Mitigator -60%) -12%. Or it's not Mitigator, but a Gadget limitation. Uncontrollable -30% or Gadget -40% gives a total of -12% as well (but Gadget could vary significantly). I suspect your -21% comes from Uncontrollable's -30% times (one version of) Mitigator's -70%, which isn't correct.
I'm not seeing how the OP asked for a Gadget. Said amulet could be anything but "Dumbo's Feather" and not have any sort of magical abilities at all. You can't actually limit a limitation - only a enhancement that's why I headed toward the Either/Or rules. So "Not Uncontrollable" is worth +30%, when you limit that with Mitigator (-70%) you get a +9% enhancement, so Uncontrollable without amulet is a -21% limitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
This is misleading, so let me be clear: This was my interpretation of things as a GM before I became the Assistant Line Editor. It is not canonical nor RAW. (It's definitely the case in my games, mind you, but Kromm has not supported this interpretation, and it is thus not the official one.)
Apologies. I was pretty sure he'd weighed in on it in the same way. I guess I have one more House Rules that I wasn't aware of. :-)

Become a Patron!
Old 09-02-2014, 03:16 PM   #20
vierasmarius

Quote:
I'm not seeing how the OP asked for a Gadget. Said amulet could be anything but "Dumbo's Feather" and not have any sort of magical abilities at all. You can't actually limit a limitation - only a enhancement that's why I headed toward the Either/Or rules. So "Not Uncontrollable" is worth +30%, when you limit that with Mitigator (-70%) you get a +9% enhancement, so Uncontrollable without amulet is a -21% limitation.
Mitigator is a limitation applied to disadvantages, whereas most other limitations are applied to advantages. This is why it should be a valid limitation on another limitation, but not a valid limitation on an enhancement.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1920s, high tech, monster hunters