Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #41
cbower

Default Re: [RPM] a collection of questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
The ability to determine fatherhood with certainty would have an immense impact on a medieval world. It's one of my huge no-go's for world magic system design.
I totally agree. It's one of those subtle things that can really sneak up on you in worldbuilding, and you don't realize it's an issue till you're actually running a game.
cbower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #42
Christopher R. Rice

Subtle magic is always the most dangerous. The smallest of magics can make some of the biggest impacts as my Adversary/Significant Other is oft to tell me.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #43
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULFGARD View Post
Once you have an item that's set to last for 1000 years, the enchantment is probably going to outlast the item! Of course, that said, I'd allow an "enchantment by deeds" system for anything of substantial duration (LONG for the item) that could effectively extend the duration of the spell to the lifetime of the item.

Then again, usual enchantment by deeds/name/etc. is way cool on its own. Maybe worthy of a "permanent" effect -- Rite of Naming -- used in the creation of an item or just after receiving it -- that essentially gives the 1 point "Named Item" Perk. And that falls right back onto your already extant system of enchantment (requiring personal point investment).
Enchantment by Deeds I like. And using it to recharge an item seems good.
Use Meditative magic as a base for normal use and bonus points for special events.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #44
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Ghost Shirt on page 43 is freaky expensive for what it does.

Are there any defensive spells that cost much less than its 135 energy, but still provide good protection? I'm thinking some kind of Luck, or really anything that dodges the x3 cost multiplier for Greater Effect.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #45
vierasmarius

Quote:
Ghost Shirt on page 43 is freaky expensive for what it does.

Are there any defensive spells that cost much less than its 135 energy, but still provide good protection? I'm thinking some kind of Luck, or really anything that dodges the x3 cost multiplier for Greater Effect.
I was just musing about this in another thread. If you want something that can block a single attack, I suppose Ablative DR may be worth using. Defensive Luck would also be interesting. Ghost Shirt might be reasonably priced considering that it provides ongoing protection; a lesser version could degrade quickly, or only be usable once.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #46
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
I was just musing about this in another thread. If you want something that can block a single attack, I suppose Ablative DR may be worth using. Defensive Luck would also be interesting. Ghost Shirt might be reasonably priced considering that it provides ongoing protection; a lesser version could degrade quickly, or only be usable once.
I still don't have a good feel for how much energy 135 actually is. But I suspect the DR 6 effect is overpriced. And by a lot for a modern world.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #47
Langy

Quote:
I still don't have a good feel for how much energy 135 actually is. But I suspect the DR 6 effect is overpriced. And by a lot for a modern world.
Yeah, I'd generally agree. I'd really think about making it a lesser effect to double the DR of armor, just like it's a lesser effect to double damage.

Something like Lesser Strength Matter + Altered Traits (DR, Semi-Ablative) + Duration (1 hour) + Weight (10 pounds). It'd cost, what, 6 + 3 per point of DR or so. It wouldn't help with protecting parts of your body that are unarmored, though. Make it Greater Strength Matter if it's increasing your armor level above twice the norm; that's 18 + 9 per point of DR. For DR 35 (equivalent to an assault vest), that's 333. Seems exceedingly excessive. The price even as a lesser effect seems more reasonable to me.

EDIT: 135 energy is enough that an effective skill 16 caster has a 50% chance of a critical failure.

Last edited by Langy; 10-06-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #48
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Yeah, I'd generally agree. I'd really think about making it a lesser effect to double the DR of armor, just like it's a lesser effect to double damage.
Uhhh... It is, see Strengthen Matter in Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic (p. 11)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #49
vierasmarius

Perhaps we should set the Lesser / Greater cutoff based on the mundane armor available in the setting. At TL8, DR 35 would be reasonable; at TL4 you'd be lucky to hit DR 15. I guess this isn't much different from allowing you to double the DR of worn armor, except that you don't actually have to be wearing it to benefit.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #50
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Uhhh... It is, see Strengthen Matter in Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic (p. 11)
Ah, so it is.

So yeah, that's how I'd make a DR charm, rather than just magically granting the DR in the first place, since doing so is ridiculously expensive (much more so than is reasonable).
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, monster hunters, ritual path magic, rpm