Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-01-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
b-dog

Default Dungeon Horror: The natural spawn of DF and MH

I have seen the sales figures of the Monster Hunters series and it seems to be doing very well. Dungeon Fantasy also seems to be doing well too. So I just think that there should be some crossover stuff. I always feel that horror usually adds a lot of fun to DF campaigns so I would like a Dungeon Horror type supplement. Imagine ruins where treasure is supposed to be found. This ruins could have been a temple to demon lords, a stronghold of an evil wizard or the castle of a greedy king. Most people avoid this ruin so some of the standard monsters have moved into the ruin to use it as a hiding place. So you have you basic monsters like goblin-kin, ogres, minotaurs, trolls and so forth residing in the ruin and the PCs must face and defeat them before they can find the treasure hidden deep in the ruin. Then the dungeon takes on a more eerie tone which dark and mysterious goings on in the ruin. Maybe the temple still functions and a cult still worships demons there, or maybe the evil wizard transformed himself into a lich and now sleeps until anyone disturbs his lair or maybe the king will arise as a draugr or wight if anyone tries to take his treasure.

I think that good adventures have a lot of action which the general dungeon part does a good job at providing and then there is some sort of riddle or puzzle to be solved about who or what lived in the ruins before. The second part fits very well with the Monster Hunters series and I think that it would make the dungeon more interesting. Maybe the undead in the dungeon can make several attacks on the adventurers and when weakend the undead monster retreats leaving his goblin-kin and other nasties to keep the PCs busy. This way the PCs will get to have an adversary that they know and when they are able to finally defeat him or her it will add to the experience. Just my 2 cts.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: Dungeon Horror: The natural spawn of DF and MH

Lessee... 325 point starting characters, with the enemies bumped up to match, and the name should be an amalgam of the two series titles: Dungeon Hunters doesn't do enough to differentiate it from the normal DF goings-on, so Monster Fantasy looks like the better choice.

As befits the theme of the books ;)
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
Adina

Shouldn't that be unnatural spawn?
Adina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:16 PM   #4
Anthony

I'm missing how this is significantly different from 'normal' DF.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:18 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
A focus on investigation instead of exploration?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:49 PM   #6
OldSam

Quote:
If the PCs use the templates from MH the difference is basically about 150 CP more in general ability plus they have guns with a lot of firepower... =)
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #7
Faolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post

A focus on investigation instead of exploration?
Also more monsters that mimic humans/elves/what have you, instead of ravenous beasties.
Faolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:27 PM   #8
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faolyn View Post
Also more monsters that mimic humans/elves/what have you, instead of ravenous beasties.
Might be a good "urban DF" game. Find the cult of the Elder Things before the next full moon, etc.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:08 AM   #9
Piperdog

I think the best way to differentiate it from "normal" DFt would be to mimic other dark fantasy genres, like Warhammer for instance. Dungeon Horror/Dark Fantasy means, to me at least, that characters can go insane or become corrupted (or both). With the new rules for fear checks, expanded rules on Insanity (Stress, Derangement, and Corruption), players have to fear more than physical damage. Magic items may now cause Corruption, slowly taking away "good" qualities, like Honesty, Sense of Duty, etc and replace them with other qualities, like Sadism, Bully, Bloodlust, etc. The new Fright Check overlays, coupled with Stress and Derangement scores, now lead players down a path to madness. Pretty dark stuff!
Piperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:45 AM   #10
starslayer

In a DF/horror crossover I think the unfazeable and indomitable advantages SHOULD come into play (being completely unavilable in horror for obvious reasons)- though perhaps carry a genre-specific UB cost due to the prevalence of fright and horror checks (perhaps kicking each of those up to 50 points total).

Consider how a wizard would have to change if magic comes from dark eldrich sources and so much as READING a book on spell lore might drive you insane, a specific 'dark wizard' template may still be lilly white (well mostly), but posses the insurmountable courage to stare down the horrid text, learn the secrets within, and then deploy those secrets against the mind-warping beast threatening the villiage- dungeon fantasy is, ultimately, about killing things; if you can only get into (satistically) ~100 encounters before.

While having the Barbairan slowly change from being honest to sadist is fine, any part where disadvantages CONTINUE to accrue might be an issue, making prolonged use of magical items- so being able to pick up indomidable so that your super-fancy +3 sword of tentacle slicing does not end up killing your character faster then the tentacles it is means to slice.

Of course another option is to actually make the fright checks and disadvantage shifts/growth FASTER, but make cure madness a relatively cheap thing you can buy in town (like healing, resurrection, and item recharge); thus turning the PC sanity into another resource that must be carefully managed (which is pretty standard with the dungeon fantasy genre).
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, monster hunters