Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-18-2021, 04:05 PM   #191
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers] Nerfed Marvel Universe

It really depended on a lot. During the Claremont era ('75 to '92, but especially after '80), his blades were more like in the movies, drawn as flat knifes (albeit coming out of the back his hands) rather than the more rounded claws that have been prevalent since Magneto ripped the adamantium out of him early on in the Jim Lee era in '92 or '93.

He was once shown using his claws to chop celery, and would slash and stab in equal measure in combat.

It depends greatly on whether awesomenessofme1 is using "the blades are naturally part of him and coated with adamantium" or "the blades are artificial". I'd be tempted to have the claws as knives capable of slash and stab than rounded only stab, but YMMV.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 08:21 PM   #192
Otaku

As a general rule of thumb, remember that art can be misleading. It has been nearly two decades since I was a regular reader of Marvel comics, and a good 8+ years since I read any of the stuff I already owned, but whether Wolverine's claws are drawn with a cutting edge or just pointed tips has varied throughout his entire run. As in, not only did the bone claws sometimes have sharp edges, but the metal claws sometimes only had pointed tips, and I'm talking before the decision that Wolverine had bone claws inside of them. I don't recall bone-claws Wolverine being restricted to impaling, and I'm pretty sure I at least remember the Skrull impostor Wolverine trying to slash things with his claws, not just impale.

I've probably said it before, but never trust anything the Fox films did. They didn't change everything, but they changed a lot. Not that every change was bad. Some might be good, plenty were "neutral", but... well... BarakaPool. XP As of now, I haven't ever been able to bring myself to watch X-Men Origins: Wolverine in part because of some of the changes I do know about.

Speaking of changes that are neither good nor bad, I see Wolverine will lack any time with the Canadian government. I mean, post-whatever caused his amnesia. ;) Probably a good move; either he has to have left on good enough terms to preserve some of the benefits, or he's probably got a massive enemy.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:10 PM   #193
awesomenessofme1

I've decided to officially adopt a few more house rules. I'll need to go back and update a few sheets to match up with them.

Survivable Guns (Pyramid #3/44: Alternate GURPS II) - Won't affect sheets, but officially saying it's in effect means I can properly balance DR around it. That also retroactively makes my version of Iron Man a lot less vulnerable to big bullets, which was the immediate motivation.

Alternate Guns Specialties (Pyramid #3/65: Alternate GURPS IV) - Just a rule I like. Makes things simpler.

Alternate Affliction Pricing - Afflictions have a base cost of [10] plus [2] for every -1 penalty to the resistance roll. Point value doesn't really matter that much in this project, but I really don't think Afflictions are properly balanced, and I still care enough about points I feel discouraged from using overpriced ablities.

Natural Weapons (Pyramid #3/65: Alternate GURPS IV) - I'd actually already started using this, so I should probably make it official.

A few from PK's MyGURPS:
"Arm DX, Arm ST, and Regrowth are cheaper."
"Binding (Retractable)"
(More of his stuff may be added later; this is just the stuff I know for sure.)
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:23 PM   #194
awesomenessofme1

Updated Wasp to adjust for the new Affliction pricing.

Updated Captain America and Loki to adjust for Alternate Guns Specialties.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:55 PM   #195
awesomenessofme1

Made a few edits to the skills of Ant-Man and Iron Man.

Edit: Also updated Thor and Loki with a different Damage Reduction. Rather than having all their IT:DR with Physical Attacks only, now they just have it reduced vs non-physical attacks rather than useless.

I have the mechanical builds of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver done, and should post the first one tomorrow.

Last edited by awesomenessofme1; 02-28-2021 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:52 AM   #196
awesomenessofme1

Scarlet Witch

Height: 5’7”
Weight: 130 lb
Hair: Auburn, shoulderblade-length
Eyes: Green
Uniform: Black sleeveless bodysuit. Red longcoat, gloves, and boots. Red double-pointed headpiece that frames the face.
Powers: “Hex bolts” that cause a target to suffer from horrifically bad luck for a few minutes. Telepathic abilities including mind control, mind detection, and the insertion of nightmarish images to cause fear. Telepathic bond with her brother Pietro.
Skills: Reasonably street-smart and athletic. Knowledgeable in the occult.

Twins Pietro and Wanda Maximoff were born in the small, poor country of Sokovia (on the Ukraine/Poland border, at that time an SSR). They were orphaned (or so they thought) at the age of eight, after the country erupted into a violent civil war following the end of the Cold War and the fall of the Soviet Union. For the next decade, they were forced to fend for themselves. The twins struggled for food day to day, engaging in whatever begging, thievery, and other petty crimes it took. As the years passed, the pair discovered their mutant heritage. Wanda’s power manifested as probability-manipulating “hexes” and crude, brute-force telepathic abilities. The pair also had a telepathic bond that let them communicate with each other without speaking and across great distance, as well as intuitively understand each other. Wanda became interested in the occult, inspired by the “Scarlet Witch” epithet she was given, and took to studying it. Pietro did not approve (he doesn't believe it's real, but he's just religious enough to think it will be bad for her), but when day-to-day life is such a struggle, he decided you need to pick your battles.

Roughly one year ago, Pietro and Wanda were discovered by the mutant terrorist leader Magneto, who claimed them to be his own children, left with foster parents. He told them he’d intended to find them earlier, but the death of their parents and general low quality of Sokovian records made it difficult. He then “recruited” them into his organization, the Brotherhood of Mutants (against their wills). Wanda is much more comfortable within the group than Pietro. She doesn’t really agree with their ideals or goals, but it’s certainly a higher standard of living than they had before. Ultimately, though, if she has to choose between her brother and the group, she’ll be gone with him in an instant.

Scarlet Witch [332]

Attributes [80]
ST 9 [-10]
DX 12 [40]
IQ 12 [40]
HT 11 [10]
Damage 1d-2/1d-1
BL 16 lb
HP 9 [0]
Will 13 [5]
Per 11 [-5]
FP 11 [0]
Basic Speed 5.75 [0]
Basic Move 5 [0]
Dodge 8
SM0

Cultural Familiarities [0]
Orthodox [0]

Languages [4]
English (Accented) [4]
Sokovian (Native) [0]

Advantages [258]
Acute Detect 3 (Mutant, -10%) [6]
Affliction (Will-4; Accurate 3, +15%; Based on Will, +20%; Cosmic (Ignores DR), +300%; Disadvantage (Cursed), +75%; Increased Range (LOS), +40%; Mutant, -10%) [98]
Appearance (Beautiful) [12]
Detect (Sapient Minds; Vague, -50%; Mutant, -10%) [8]
Mind Control (Based on Will, Own Roll, +20%; Extended Duration x10, +30%; One and Done, -10%; Puppet, -40%; Sense-Based (Vision and Hearing), -25%; Mutant, -10%) [33]
Terror (-2 to Fright Checks; Increased Range (LOS) ¹, +70%; Presence (Active), +20%; Accessibility (Only vs sapient targets), -10%; Mutant, -10%) [85]
Twin Telepathy² [16]

Disadvantages [-49]
Bad Temper (12) [-10]
Duty (Brotherhood of Mutants; 9 or less; Involuntary) [-10]
Guilt Complex [-5]
Loner (15) [-2]
Pacifism (Reluctant Killer) [-5]
Sense of Duty (Pietro) [-2]
Stubbornness [-5]
Wealth (Struggling) [-10]

Quirks [-4]
Careful [-1]
Practices “real” witchcraft [-1]
Proud [-1]
Suspicious [-1]

Skills [43]
Acrobatics-11 [2]
Acting-12 [2]
Area Knowledge (Novigrad)-12 [1]
Area Knowledge (Sokovia)-12 [1]
Carousing-11 [1]
Current Affairs/TL8 (Regional)-13 [2]
Detect Lies-9 [1]
Diplomacy-11 [2]
Escape-10 [1]
First Aid/TL8-12 [1]
Holdout-11 [1]
Innate Attack (Projectile)-13 [2]
Intimidation-13 [2]
Judo-12 [4]
Mind Block-12 [1]
Observation-11 [2]
Occultism-13 [4]
Panhandling-12 [1]
Running-11 [2]
Scrounging-11 [1]
Search-10 [1]
Stealth-13 [4]
Streetwise-11 [1]
Swimming-11 [1]
Urban Survival-11 [2]

1 – For the record, I find this enhancement to be ludicrously overpriced for this application, but I included it for symmetry.
2 – Meta-trait containing Mindlink (1 person; Mutant, -10%) [5], Special Rapport (Mutant, -10%) [5], and Telesend (One Person Only, -80%; Mutant, -10%) [6]
Old 03-01-2021, 07:01 AM   #197
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
1 – For the record, I find this enhancement to be ludicrously overpriced for this application, but I included it for symmetry.
As I noted in the other thread, if you feel it's appropriate to let someone with the ability to purchase normal Increased Range at half price (by buying Max Only, seeing as it lacks a 1/2D; doing this is explicitly RAW, but a part of the RAW I disagree with), Increased Range (LOS) should similarly be half price. That makes Increased Range (LOS) cost the same as boosting your Range to 2000 yards, regardless of what the starting Range is.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:17 AM   #198
awesomenessofme1

Quicksilver

Height: 6’
Weight: 175 lb
Hair: Silver, slicked back
Eyes: Blue
Uniform: Blue bodysuit with white lightning bolt running diagonally across the chest. White gloves, boots, and waistband.
Powers: Superhuman reflexes and time perception. Running speed in the 150-200 mph range. Very strong legs. Telepathic bond with his sister Wanda.
Skills: Skilled brawler, especially at kicking. Very athletic. Street-smart. Competent at thievery.

Twins Pietro and Wanda Maximoff were born in the small, poor country of Sokovia (on the Ukraine/Poland border, at that time an SSR). They were orphaned (or so they thought) at the age of eight, after the country erupted into a violent civil war following the end of the Cold War and the fall of the Soviet Union. For the next decade, they were forced to fend for themselves. Pietro took to thievery, a dangerous but profitable pastime in a country struggling with corruption and lawlessness. As the years passed, the pair discovered their mutant heritage. Pietro had enhanced speed and reflexes, which he learned to put to good use. The pair also had a telepathic bond that let them communicate with each other without speaking and across great distance, as well as intuitively understand each other.

Roughly one year ago, Pietro and Wanda were discovered by the mutant terrorist leader Magneto, who claimed them to be his own children, left with foster parents. He told them he’d intended to find them earlier, but the death of their parents and general low quality of Sokovian records made it difficult. He then “recruited” them into his organization, the Brotherhood of Mutants (against their wills). Pietro is deeply uncomfortable within the organization, and it seems only a matter of time until he’s pushed far enough that the downsides of staying outweigh the dangers of leaving.

Quicksilver [360]

Attributes [165]
ST 11 [10]
DX 14 [80]
IQ 11 [20]
HT 14 [40]
Damage 1d-1/1d+1
BL 24 lb
HP 11 [0]
Will 12 [5]
Per 13 [10]
FP 14 [0]
Basic Speed 9.00 [0]
Basic Move 13 [0]
Dodge 13
SM0

Cultural Familiarities [0]
Orthodox [0]

Languages [4]
English (Accented) [4]
Sokovian (Native) [0]

Advantages [200]
Appearance (Attractive) [4]
Basic Move+4 (Mutant, -10%) [18]
Basic Speed+2.00 (Mutant, -10%) [36]
Enhanced Move (Ground) 2.5 (Mutant, -10%) [45]
Enhanced Time Sense (Mutant, -10%) [41]
Fit [5]
Immunity to Acceleration (Mutant, -10%) [5]
Striking ST 20 (One Attack Only (Kick), -60%; Mutant, -10%) [30]
Twin Telepathy¹ [16]

Perks [1]
Technique Mastery (Kicking) [1]

Disadvantages [-61]
Curious (15) [-2]
Duty (Brotherhood of Mutants, 9 or less, Involuntary) [-10]
Impulsiveness (9) [-15]
Increased Consumption x2 [-10]
Pacifism (Cannot Harm Innocents) [-10]
Overconfidence (15) [-2]
Sense of Duty (Wanda) [-2]
Wealth (Struggling) [-10]

Quirks [-3]
Distractible [-1]
Flirtatious [-1]
Insensitive [-1]

Skills [47]
Acrobatics-13 [2]
Acting-11 [2]
Area Knowledge (Novigrad)-12 [2]
Area Knowledge (Sokovia)-11 [1]
Brawling-16 [4]
Carousing-14 [1]
Current Affairs/TL8 (Regional)-11 [1]
Detect Lies-11 [1]
Escape-13 [2]
Fast-Talk-11 [2]
Filch-15 [4]
First Aid/TL8-11 [1]
Forced Entry-14 [1]
Holdout-11 [2]
Jumping-14 [1]
Navigation/TL8 (Land)-12 [4]
Observation-13 [2]
Pickpocket-13 [2]
Running-15 [4]
Scrounging-14 [2]
Streetwise-11 [2]
Swimming-14 [1]
Tracking-12 [1]
Urban Survival-13 [2]

Techniques [7]
Kicking (Brawling)-20 [7]

1 – Meta-trait containing Mindlink (1 person; Mutant, -10%) [5], Special Rapport (Mutant, -10%) [5], and Telesend (One Person Only, -80%; Mutant, -10%) [6]
Old 03-02-2021, 07:45 AM   #199
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
Quicksilver
I'll readily admit I'm not terribly familiar with the character, but the description of having extremely strong legs imply Super Jump and an increased carrying capacity may be appropriate. For the latter, something like Lifting ST (No Fine Manipulators -40%) [1.8]/level could work, to whatever level you feel is appropriate (matching his leg Striking ST would be +20, for [36], and would give BL 192 for purposes of things like encumbrance and literally lifting things with his legs, but not for picking things up with his arms). I'd suggest renaming the Limitation to Legs Only to avoid confusion.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:06 AM   #200
Otaku

I don't know the modern version of Quicksilver. I think I've mentioned before, but I was a Marvel fanboy from somewhere around the late, late 1980s until the early (mid?) 2000s. Yes, sometimes I use a slightly shorter range to keep it simple, but this is where details may matter. XP The following could most definitely be my memory playing tricks on me but...

The Quicksliver I knew was a speedster and not known for his kicking. However, that Quicksilver isn't supposed to be this Quicksilver, and I realize that. It reminds me more of RWBY's Mercury... who is probably a Quicksilver Expy, making me wonder if Quicksilver either used to be or now is all about dem kicks. XD

I am not against this version having key differences, and so far, I like what I am seeing. :) I'll mention the Quicksilver I think I knew, just in case there is anything relevant to the nerfed Quicksilver. This was from his X-Factor run (pardon the pun). I strongly encourage reading X-Factor Vol. 1 #87. Titled "X-Aminations", we get to sit in on Doc Sampson interviewing the team at the time, including Quicksilver. It won't do much to explain Quicksilver's powers, but it was a great look into Quicksilver's state of mind. At least, at the time.

Okay, okay, getting to combat for Quicksilver, during this era, he... wasn't use for direct combat a lot. His powers was for fast rescues, or circumventing the need for combat in the first place. When he did need to attack, it was usually with punches, or maybe even a tackle. Kicking somewhat defeated the purpose, because he needed his legs to run. Around this time, Marvel seems to have gone the opposite route of DC's Flash. Instead of Quicksilver becoming so fast he could do insane, physics defying things, it was revealed that Pietro actually ages in accordance with how much of his "Super Speed" he uses. Even Pietro would still shorten his life a little to make a sandwich at super-speed when he was hungry ("Sustenance is not frivolous." was his actual explanation). In GURPS terms, he probably has several levels of Altered Time Rate, but most of them come with increasing levels of Short Life Span while in use.

Yet again, I'm not saying this thread's version of Quicksilver needs to conform to all of that. Though, if you can get it for a reasonable price, that really is a good issue of X-Factor to read. I almost have the issue number memorized (thought it was #77), because that is how influential it was for my comic book reading in general. Peter David and Joe Quesada in 1993. :D
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
custom setting, marvel, supers