Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-16-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
B9anders

Default Damage from Grappling techniques - lifting or striking ST?

Do grappling techniques that such as wrench limb, backbreaker and such that uses swing dmg calculate dmg from their lifting or striking ST?

Lifting ST is generally used when it comes to grappling, but I am a bit confused when it then uses the basic damage chart that is ususally associated with striking ST. If they are not the same, do you then calculate the swing damage from lifting strength or do you simply use striking strength?
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
chris1982

Default Re: Damage from Grappling techniques - lifting or striking ST?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B9anders View Post
Do grappling techniques that such as wrench limb, backbreaker and such that uses swing dmg calculate dmg from their lifting or striking ST?

Lifting ST is generally used when it comes to grappling, but I am a bit confused when it then uses the basic damage chart that is ususally associated with striking ST. If they are not the same, do you then calculate the swing damage from lifting strength or do you simply use striking strength?
For these techniques striking ST makes sense since those are fast aprupt movements and not steadily applied pressure (which is the reason to use lifting ST when grappling).
chris1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

I think in general, Striking ST is "combat ST" and lifting ST is "encumbrance ST" in terms of pricing. A search on what Kromm's said on this would prove fruitful.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I think in general, Striking ST is "combat ST" and lifting ST is "encumbrance ST" in terms of pricing.
Nope. The book is crystal clear that Lifting ST applies to grappling techniques; which are definitely part of combat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1982 View Post
For these techniques striking ST makes sense since those are fast aprupt movements and not steadily applied pressure (which is the reason to use lifting ST when grappling).
I disagree. Arm Wrench isn't anymore abrupt necessarily than Arm Lock, it just uses brute force instead of focused leverage.

I'd use Lifting St for Arm Wrench. An argument could be made for back-breaker being more of a strike, however, like a grab and bash, so I'd consider using Striking St for that one.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
chris1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
I disagree. Arm Wrench isn't anymore abrupt necessarily than Arm Lock, it just uses brute force instead of focused leverage.
Arm Lock also uses ST... ;)
chris1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:35 AM   #6
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
Nope. The book is crystal clear that Lifting ST applies to grappling techniques; which are definitely part of combat.
Cite?

When these things come up it is generaly that striking strength is used, because it is more expensive. Bows are another example that uses striking st but can be argued should be lifting st.
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith View Post
Cite?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campaigns pg 65
Lifting ST adds to ST in situations where you apply slow, steady pressure (grappling, choking, etc.)
There you have it.

[EDIT] That's Characters I'm quoting; not Campaigns. Sorry.

Last edited by aesir23; 02-17-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
Agent

The thing called into question is whether those techniques are 'slow, steady pressure'.

I'd agree, though, that Wrench Limb would fall under that. The idea of ripping, tearing, crunching a limb doesn't have to be limited to 'quick strikes'. Almost seems more appropriate to the more skill-based techniques of Arm Lock, where quick breaks using momentum and so forth are probably more common.

In any case, what exactly is 'quick' with 1 second rounds? If I do a grapple and choke as part of a rapid strike, is that then 'too quick' for 'slow, steady pressure'?
Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #9
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent View Post
In any case, what exactly is 'quick' with 1 second rounds? If I do a grapple and choke as part of a rapid strike, is that then 'too quick' for 'slow, steady pressure'?
I personally think it's far simpler to say, striking = Striking ST, Grappling = Lifting ST. If you start making things overcomplicated it opens up issues on both sides of the equation, like whether or not Push Kicks should use Lifting ST since they're slower.