Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #41
Sunrunners_Fire
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Default Re: Vampiric Regen Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
"hybrid tax"?
A deliberate inefficiency as regards ability and/or cost of a given trait because it does multiple things at the same time. Typically applied to systems that reward specialists more than they do generalists, such as various MMO games and whatnot. Leech is a hybrid trait. It both damages and heals. And so, even though you can build a more point efficient set of traits that give a superior result ... it costs more than those trait sets do.

Its' silly, but it is what it is. Leech is one of the controversial traits for this reason.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #42
NineDaysDead
Banned
 
NineDaysDead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Vampiric Regen Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
A deliberate inefficiency as regards ability and/or cost of a given trait because it does multiple things at the same time. Typically applied to systems that reward specialists more than they do generalists, such as various MMO games and whatnot. Leech is a hybrid trait. It both damages and heals. And so, even though you can build a more point efficient set of traits that give a superior result ... it costs more than those trait sets do.

Its' silly, but it is what it is. Leech is one of the controversial traits for this reason.
And a complete ****** when trying to build something like a Dark Sun defiler's life leech within GURPS RAW.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #43
Sunrunners_Fire
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Default Re: Vampiric Regen Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
And a complete ****** when trying to build something like a Dark Sun defiler's life leech within GURPS RAW.
Yes. And many other enjoyable/viable concepts as well (such as drain tanks, etc). The only solution I've found is "RAW doesn't do what I want. House rules FTW!". Heh. But that doesn't help when asking for advice or conversation on these boards as house-rules are group-specific by definition. And, so, thereby ...
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #44
Snaps
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Provo, UT
Default Re: Vampiric Regen Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Leech cannot affect anyone you are not grappling unless you add modifiers. Modifiers that let you do this include Area Effect and Ranged.
How about Aura? Would you need need to purchase Malediction to give Leech the Aura Enhancement? (I'm assuming that you'd still need to give it something like Cosmic: Doesn't need to Grapple, +50%)
Snaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #45
Jerander
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Rochester, MN
Default Re: Vampiric Regen Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
How about Aura? Would you need need to purchase Malediction to give Leech the Aura Enhancement? (I'm assuming that you'd still need to give it something like Cosmic: Doesn't need to Grapple, +50%)
Adding Malediction swaps out the need to grapple for the resistance roll. If you used Aura, you'd still need Malediction.
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #46
Snaps
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Provo, UT
Default Re: Vampiric Regen Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
Adding Malediction swaps out the need to grapple for the resistance roll. If you used Aura, you'd still need Malediction.
Ranged is different than Reach. Also, Malediction is actually incompatible with Melee Attack since is modifies 1/2D and Max ranges. Also, its incompatible with "modifiers that apply only to conventional ranged attacks." Which I think Melee Attack would count as.

Also, Malediction uses a Concentration Maneuver to work, Aura effects anyone you touch or who touches you so I don't think you can have a Malediction Aura.
Snaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #47
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Vampiric Regen Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
Ranged is different than Reach. Also, Malediction is actually incompatible with Melee Attack since is modifies 1/2D and Max ranges. Also, its incompatible with "modifiers that apply only to conventional ranged attacks." Which I think Melee Attack would count as.

Also, Malediction uses a Concentration Maneuver to work, Aura effects anyone you touch or who touches you so I don't think you can have a Malediction Aura.
Tell that to Aura's of Power...
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #48
Snaps
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Provo, UT
Default Re: Vampiric Regen Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Tell that to Aura's of Power...
What's Aura's of Power? :)
Snaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #49
Sunrunners_Fire
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Default Re: Vampiric Regen Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
What's Aura's of Power? :)
Appears (first) in Pyramid 3/19 and (later) Power-Ups 4.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #50
Snaps
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Provo, UT
Default Re: Vampiric Regen Aura

Okay, thanks. I see it now.

Not sure I really understand the logic behind that write up though. Why/How would you need Aura if the ability already has Area Effect, 2 yards? Once activated the ability effects anyone within 2 yards of you. Do they just have to roll again if they touch you or you touch them?

Also, Aura of Power (at least in Power Ups 4) is specifically only for Afflictions. (I know, minor nitpick).
Snaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
area of effect, auras of power, leech, malediction, multiple victims, ranged

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.