Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-27-2019, 08:18 PM   #1
awesomenessofme1

Default How tall are the walls generated by an Innate Attack with the Wall enhancement?

For the life of me, I cannot find an answer to this question. I've looked in the Basic Set as well as Powers, and in both places they say the same thing, a 3 yd long and 1 yd thick wall for each yd of radius on Area Effect. I can't find anything about height.
awesomenessofme1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:40 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: How tall are the walls generated by an Innate Attack with the Wall enhancement?

Reasonably it would be up to 3 yards high for each level.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:41 PM   #3
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: How tall are the walls generated by an Innate Attack with the Wall enhancement?

Odd. I could have sworn it was 3 yards high as well...hmm. Most Area Effect spells have a height of 4 yards at most so I'd use that.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:03 PM   #4
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
For the life of me, I cannot find an answer to this question. I've looked in the Basic Set as well as Powers, and in both places they say the same thing, a 3 yd long and 1 yd thick wall for each yd of radius on Area Effect. I can't find anything about height.
Assuming that an exception isn't noted (and seeing how I can't easily find otherwise in my books), I would assume the below remains true:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GURPS Characters, pg 101
When applying modifiers, you occasionally need to know the range, area of effect, or duration of an advantage for which one or more of these quantities is not specified – for instance, when applying an enhancement that gives a range to an ability that normally has none. Assume that range is 100 yards, area is a circle 2 yards in radius (and 12’ high, should volume matter), and duration is 10 seconds, unless the advantage specifies otherwise. Exceptions will be noted.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:06 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Assuming that an exception isn't noted (and seeing how I can't easily find otherwise in my books), I would assume the below remains true:
^This is it.

Become a Patron!
Old 07-27-2019, 10:17 PM   #6
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Thank you!
awesomenessofme1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:48 AM   #7
Anaraxes

Kromm cites B101 (12', or 4 yards) as the basis as well.

Magic varies a lot, though 12' shows up there, too.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:05 AM   #8
Plane

If you wanted to make walls higher than 12 feet, could you just on your 2nd attack stack wall 2 on top of wall 1?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:03 PM   #9
Christopher R. Rice

In my campaign I use Area Effect to increase the height. It's worked so far.

Become a Patron!
Old 07-31-2019, 01:54 PM   #10
Anaraxes

The +60% version of Wall lets you reshape the wall, so you could double the height by halving the length or thickness. GMs might let you stack physical walls since Walls are also Persistent. (Otherwise the base would disappear when you stop concentrating on it to do the next level; they're Innate Attacks at the core.) Magic forcefields might just float in mid-air anyway -- no need for a supporting base. Probably want to skip the engineering calculations and just go with GM rulings on the spot for whatever seems reasonable. You can't have a self-supporting stone wall that's five thousand feet high and one mil thick, even if the multiplication works out to the proper volume.

Last edited by Anaraxes; 07-31-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote