Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-27-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
b-dog

Default DF Town near Dungeon online resource

I want to compile info on NPCs and also different shops, stores and other structures in a town near a dungeon. There would need to be a guard staff that can deal with monsters and regular bad guys, a lot of shop keepers, trading posts, wise druids on the outskirts ofthe town, a temple or two of healing, a magic shop, loggers, farmers, fellow adventurers, tavern keppers, bandits and unseelies near the town and of course spies that warn the people in the dungeon. If anyone has any stats for these types of people then feel free to post. Thanks.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:12 AM   #2
mearrin69

Default Re: DF Town near Dungeon online resource

I don't have anything to help you out directly but I'd suggest that there are a number of "base" towns already created for D&D that would probably work well for Dungeon Fantasy. There are a ton of these out there in various products (many available only used), ranging from cities like Waterdeep and Greyhawk to villages like Saltmarsh and Hommet (sp?). There are also some more outre locations like Sharn and Sigil, if you'd rather.

Paizo has done a particularly good job on these for its adventure paths - Calderon, Diamond Lake, Sasserine, Sandpoint, Magnimar, Korvosa, Riddleport, Katapesh, etc.

Just a thought and, if you don't want to use one of these cities in full you can always just pull the more interesting locations from them into your own creation - or copy them heavily. Just 2 cp worth. Good luck with your town building. Maybe I'll throw a shop idea on here tonight so I'm more closely on topic :) You want traditional fantasy (with typical races, magic shops, etc.?) or more realistic, human-only fantasy? I assume the former, since we're talking about DF, but just checking.
M
mearrin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:56 PM   #3
trooper6

Here are your stats.

Tier 1 (Generic): All the NPCs have 10s in most stats. They have have an 11 IQ, or DX...or 11 in ST & HT depending on their emphasis. All of them have Skill-12 in whatever central skills they would have. Skill-10 for a peripheral skill. If a Mage, Magery 1.

Tier 2 (Professional): All the NPCs have 11s in most stats. They have have an 12 IQ, or DX...or 12 in ST & HT depending on their emphasis. All of them have Skill-14 in whatever central skills they would have. Skill-12 for a peripheral skill.. If a Mage, Magery 2.

Tier 3 (Excellent): Tier 2: All the NPCs have 12s in most stats. They have have an 13 IQ, or DX...or 13 in ST & HT depending on their emphasis. All of them have Skill-16 in whatever central skills they would have. Skill-14 for a peripheral skill. If a Mage, Magery 3.

There you go. Your entire town is now populated with any NPC you would need.

ETA: Lest you think I'm being flippant I'm not. This is how I deal with any NPC who isn't major and reoccurring.
For example, The PCs say, we go to a shop. I say, there is are smaller market stalls with sorts of limited selection, some regular shops with slightly better selection, and then rich shops in the better part of town.

If they go to a market stall:
Stallkeeper-- ST 10, DX 10, IQ 11, HT 10. Merchant-12.
If they ask him about Current Events...I think...yeah, this guy should know currents events as a central skill--12. If they attack him? Well...I think he'd have a knife skill...but peripheral not central--10.

I do that all the time. I find no need to stat out everybody, because most people can be developed on the fly. Then I take notes about what I determined for later.

Last edited by trooper6; 02-13-2017 at 02:26 AM.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 05:23 PM   #4
Ego Archive

I don't know if you have any interest, but I put up a collaborative site, at wikidot.com a couple days ago. If we get enough people interested in contributing we could fill out an impressive town setting. I had it planned as a system agnostic setting, with conversions for all of the people (and story hooks)in the the forums section.

Check out the sig if your interested in contributing.

[DF]One Shot - Crevan Brokenhand's Last Rest

Towndale: A user generated fantasy town for any game system.
Ego Archive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:43 PM   #5
MacGregor

I'm too much like Trooper6 to be of much help, but...

I would love to see Gurps come out with a DF set of rules/suggestions for designing a generic village/town/city.

Just saying.
MacGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:26 AM   #6
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGregor View Post

I would love to see Gurps come out with a DF set of rules/suggestions for designing a generic village/town/city.

Just saying.
I always loved the random generation of towns from D&D 3e. Was fun to figure out "so there are x fighters of level y and z militiamen of level 1".

Not sure how to do it in GURPS without classes and levels.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:21 AM   #7
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGregor View Post

Just saying.

Well, Trooper6 is just trying to insult me. The random stats are really not what I am looking for. I want a lot of DF fantasy people and places that are fleshed out but at the same time can be placed in a mix and match fashion in any fantasy town that is near a dungeon. The town can be just as much fun. It can provide some roleplay and even intrigue as some of the people in the town may spy or even attempt to assassinate the PCs because the people in the town may be in league with the powers that be in the dungeon. This also provides some contrast to the hack and slash of the dungeon.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:18 PM   #8
RedMattis

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
Well, Trooper6 is just trying to insult me. The random stats are really not what I am looking for. I want a lot of DF fantasy people and places that are fleshed out but at the same time can be placed in a mix and match fashion in any fantasy town that is near a dungeon. The town can be just as much fun. It can provide some roleplay and even intrigue as some of the people in the town may spy or even attempt to assassinate the PCs because the people in the town may be in league with the powers that be in the dungeon. This also provides some contrast to the hack and slash of the dungeon.
I don't see anything wrong in what he suggests. In fact, I do pretty much the same for random townies and other unimportant NPCs.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:13 PM   #9
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
I'm not trying to insult you. I'm being deadly serious in my suggestion. You don't need pages and pages of pre-done stats for each innkeeper and each homeless guy in a town. You can stat up an entire town on the fly the way I described. This is how I deal with my towns. And let me tell you, I take my towns very seriously. I know that they can be fun. Because 95% of all my adventures are city adventures. They are fleshed out and in depth and interesting. And the core of it all, stat-wise, comes from what I outlined above.

All the rest of what you are looking for is adventure seeds, organization and fluff...which can easily be system independent...and which you already seem to have a very clear idea of what you want. I can't give you the fluff, because my idea of a town near a dungeon is very clearly different from yours. Just make your own stuff. You are basically already there. You know that you want people in the town who are in league with the powers that be in a dungeon. You tend to have very definite and idiosyncratic ideas of what dungeons and towns should be like. Just write it up in a few paragraphs, keep the guidelines I posted above as your method to stat up all general personnel. Do a full character sheet for 5-7 other figures that will be important to you, and you are done.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:46 PM   #10
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
I'm not trying to insult you. I'm being deadly serious in my suggestion. You don't need pages and pages of pre-done stats for each innkeeper and each homeless guy in a town. You can stat up an entire town on the fly the way I described. This is how I deal with my towns. And let me tell you, I take my towns very seriously. I know that they can be fun. Because 95% of all my adventures are city adventures. They are fleshed out and in depth and interesting. And the core of it all, stat-wise, comes from what I outlined above.

All the rest of what you are looking for is adventure seeds, organization and fluff...which can easily be system independent...and which you already seem to have a very clear idea of what you want. I can't give you the fluff, because my idea of a town near a dungeon is very clearly different from yours. Just make your own stuff. You are basically already there. You know that you want people in the town who are in league with the powers that be in a dungeon. You tend to have very definite and idiosyncratic ideas of what dungeons and towns should be like. Just write it up in a few paragraphs, keep the guidelines I posted above as your method to stat up all general personnel. Do a full character sheet for 5-7 other figures that will be important to you, and you are done.
Sorry about that. I just thought you were messing with me. I guess I am hoping for some skills for the townspeople beyond the combat ones because the PCs can't really chop up the people in the town if they are good or neutral.

Tags
npcs, q&a