Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 04-01-2022, 08:14 AM   #601
TGLS

Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Wouldn't there be a more permanent location for a command post in a crisis like this? If the emperor woke up to respond to a sudden attack wouldn't it be inconvenient if they had to setup the command post first? Besides that, the emperor woke up in the middle of a war; surely he'd already make arrangements in case the rebels launched a major offensive. He'd probably at least consider the possibility the rebels and the inter-dimensional intruders were related.

Quote:
[377] 22-04-01 15:10:37 BST
Administration
3d6 <= 15
6 + 1 + 5 = 12 ... success
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
"Rebel sabotage and attacks throughout the empire! We are assisting! Who is the prisoner?"
"That's none of your concern."

Quote:
[378] 22-04-01 15:14:16 BST
Savoir-Faire (Servant) floated to (High Society) or something appropriate.
3d6 <= 14
3 + 3 + 6 = 12 ... success
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 09:47 AM   #602
the_matrix_walker

Vassarious tries to engage with the man in such a way as to be repellant and make him uncomfortable enough to want to be done with this situation and go back to what he was doing.

"Oh sonny you want to help an old lady... she can make it worth your while and you won't even have to untie my hands"

...eew.

Acting

3d6 <= 14
3 + 5 + 6 = 14 ... success
-------------------------------------------------------------

(I think our best bet if we're in this far, is to just wheel on back there and get to work on moving the stones in the subtle order you were researching to delay detection, and when they catch on we'll defend the position while we finish. I had it in my head that this was a bit more remote off in a wing, but we can make it work...

How big is the area of the stones to be moved? When we are at the point Maximus notices or is disabled, is the area such that Vassarious could improvise becoming a big adamantine wall or dome to protect Halcyone while she finishes?)
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 07:58 AM   #603
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Wouldn't there be a more permanent location for a command post in a crisis like this? If the emperor woke up to respond to a sudden attack wouldn't it be inconvenient if they had to setup the command post first? Besides that, the emperor woke up in the middle of a war; surely he'd already make arrangements in case the rebels launched a major offensive. He'd probably at least consider the possibility the rebels and the inter-dimensional intruders were related.
So yes, there is a command post location. Its in the emperor's tomb itself. He has staff dedicated to this task. This is not the normal duty of the high priest, and certainly not the normal duty of the high priest of architecture.

The emperor doesn't seem to be thinking strait, now does he?

Quote:
"That's none of your concern."

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Vassarious tries to engage with the man in such a way as to be repellant and make him uncomfortable enough to want to be done with this situation and go back to what he was doing.

"Oh sonny you want to help an old lady... she can make it worth your while and you won't even have to untie my hands"
"Carry on, High Lord Immortal! But let us know what you find out!"

He scurries back to his screens.

Quote:
(I think our best bet if we're in this far, is to just wheel on back there and get to work on moving the stones in the subtle order you were researching to delay detection, and when they catch on we'll defend the position while we finish. I had it in my head that this was a bit more remote off in a wing, but we can make it work...
The actual target area is remote, but you've got to go through the entrance first, and someone moved into the entrance.

Quote:
How big is the area of the stones to be moved? When we are at the point Maximus notices or is disabled, is the area such that Vassarious could improvise becoming a big adamantine wall or dome to protect Halcyone while she finishes?)
The area is about 30 feet long and seven feet wide. its open on two different ends. turning into a protective barrier might work for a while... does V have adamantine back home?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 08:51 AM   #604
TGLS

Quote:
So yes, there is a command post location. Its in the emperor's tomb itself. He has staff dedicated to this task. This is not the normal duty of the high priest, and certainly not the normal duty of the high priest of architecture.

The emperor doesn't seem to be thinking strait, now does he?
Perhaps somebody thought the distraction we made so we could more easily change the wall, was just the opportunity they needed was to change the wall.

Quote:
"Carry on, High Lord Immortal! But let us know what you find out!"
I promise to let him know.

Quote:
The actual target area is remote, but you've got to go through the entrance first, and someone moved into the entrance.
The antechamber next to the entrance, yes? Or are they spilling out into the hallway? I'll try to roll through all the same.

I'll try to whisper to V along the way. "I think they've taken the opportunity we created to change the wall for themselves. I think there may be company at the wall."
Old 04-04-2022, 10:02 AM   #605
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Adjacent to the entrance anyway... Isn't the path still clear? We just have to pass by the antechamber. Do people seem to use the corridors adjacent to the "Wall" to bypass the central chamber regularly?
Quote:
The area is about 30 feet long and seven feet wide. its open on two different ends. turning into a protective barrier might work for a while... does V have adamantine back home?
Or Mithral or Uru or a titanium alloy from another world... It's a big universe, and what the material might be is partially worldbuilding and require GM approval, so I was going with adamantine, but whatever. A barrier is probably not the best idea anyway.
Quote:
I'll try to whisper to V along the way. "I think they've taken the opportunity we created to change the wall for themselves. I think there may be company at the wall."
"Let's get back there and find out."

"Cheeky!"
Old 04-04-2022, 10:08 AM   #606
TGLS

Quote:
Or Mithral or Uru or a titanium alloy from another world... It's a big universe, and what the material might be is partially worldbuilding and require GM approval, so I was going with adamantine, but whatever. A barrier is probably not the best idea anyway.
Well I figured we'd just blow up the paths to the wall and that'd hold them off for the half-hour or whatever it would take to rearrange the wall. Though if they're in the process of rearranging the wall I'm not so sure that'll be necessary. Ideally we could just subdue the priests and fix the wall without anyone noticing.
Old 04-05-2022, 08:30 AM   #607
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
The antechamber next to the entrance, yes? Or are they spilling out into the hallway? I'll try to roll through all the same.

Quote:
Adjacent to the entrance anyway... Isn't the path still clear? We just have to pass by the antechamber.
Halcyone rolls right on through: the route is still clear enough.

Quote:
Do people seem to use the corridors adjacent to the "Wall" to bypass the central chamber regularly?
Not terribly often, no. Its actually faster to run around the "front" of the temple than using the "back" corridors.

They turn the corner into the hall and see the blocks that need to be rearranged. Its as empty as the first time Vassarious saw it, and just as magically potent.

for reference:
Quote:
The estimated time for Halcyone to fix is 30 minutes, if she hurries in such a manner that she might accidentally hurt herself. Taking it carefully will take an hour. Disabling the emperor will happen at some point during that. Perhaps you could find a way to remove certain stones first...

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 04-05-2022, 11:37 AM   #608
TGLS

Quote:
They turn the corner into the hall and see the blocks that need to be rearranged. Its as empty as the first time Vassarious saw it, and just as magically potent.
I don't suppose Holo-Maximus said which stones would knock out Maximus. If I have any idea, I'll try to look for one that can be easily removed at the moment, in this jenga tower of stones.
Quote:
[381] 22-04-05 18:35:25 BST
Artist (Interior Decorating)
3d6 <= 14
5 + 5 + 3 = 13 ... success
Next is trying to evaluate how security will respond. Even it the emperor is disabled, someone might figure out what's going on in a half hour or less. How would they respond to the access hallways being caved in? How quickly would it take them to open another route?
Quote:
[382] 22-04-05 18:36:36 BST
Tactics
3d6 <= 14
1 + 5 + 3 = 9 ... success
Old 04-05-2022, 12:51 PM   #609
the_matrix_walker

If Halcyone could do it in 30 minutes (rushing) solo, are we able to cut that down working together?

If we've figured out the structure well enough, we will want to order our changes to delay detection as long as possible.

Seeing the layout makes me wish we brought some fast-drying construction foam ;)

Feels like we're looking at

Plan A:
If it is practical to set charges on either side of the wall to blow at the time the emperor is disabled to slow their penetration, that could work. If they start to break through before completion or if charges are impractical, we launch smoke bombs down either side and try and defend the position while completing the changes.

Plan B:
If charges to block the passage are not practical, and there is significant time left to completion when the Emperor is disabled, Vassarious could dart out of here and try and create a distraction while Halcyone pretends to be fixing the wall from the damage the "terrorist" did.

Plan C:
Vassarious becomes a barrier to protect Halcyone when they get to the point they will be noticed...
The V-Wall can thread into the existing nitches for anchored reinforcement
But taking an inanimate form... the 10-second shift would mean if they got around the V-Wall, Halcyone would have no backup.
Old 04-08-2022, 12:02 PM   #610
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
I don't suppose Holo-Maximus said which stones would knock out Maximus. If I have any idea, I'll try to look for one that can be easily removed at the moment, in this jenga tower of stones.
Disabling the emperor involves removing at least five stones. You have been given several sets that will do. It will take at 6 seconds per stone if hurrying.

Quote:
Next is trying to evaluate how security will respond. Even it the emperor is disabled, someone might figure out what's going on in a half hour or less. How would they respond to the access hallways being caved in? How quickly would it take them to open another route?
You'd need to cave in somewhere that isn't in view of the atrium, or someone will come and investigate. When the emperor goes down... you're not sure what the imperial infrastructure and conspiracy will do. The conspiracy 100% knows about the wall, and they have active responders present.

The speed with which they could enter... it all depends on how much they are willing to damage the architecture. If they blast a path back open, its probably a minute to get the explosives, and a minute to place the charges. If they dig it out, you've probably got five to ten minutes, depending on if they stick immortals* to moving rubble or not.

*you know that individual immortals won't go down automatically, because Kunnifax stayed up and talking when magically cut off, and because "holo-maximus" told you.

Quote:
If Halcyone could do it in 30 minutes (rushing) solo, are we able to cut that down working together?
Yes you can stack efforts if you choose a leader and they make a leadership roll or administration roll. Failure gives +3 minutes extra work/wasted time per point of failure.

Quote:
Seeing the layout makes me wish we brought some fast-drying construction foam ;)
If you want to roll... There might be something useful in the tech books, and you did come in on a hand truck... you're getting off that now, yes?