Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #1
Silvermane

Default Is there any setting/game that GURPS CAN'T do?

So this is a question that I came up with while browsing /tg/ earlier today... I decided to ask it here instead of there because they seem to REALLY dislike GURPS.

So my challenge to you is to think of some setting, that can't be done in GURPS. Almost anything that I've thought of so far could possibly work with the right rules.

But then I thought about a High powered DBZ world... (As in Buu to GT insane power creep levels.)
Silvermane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:00 AM   #2
cosmicfish

Default Re: Is there any setting/game that GURPS CAN'T do?

The question is not which settings it can or cannot do, but rather which settings are easier or more difficult.
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:16 AM   #3
Anthony

With sufficient effort, you can pound a square peg into a round hole. Most RPGs can be used for most settings; it's just that a mismatch results in either a lot of work or doing the setting very badly.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:32 AM   #4
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

I wouldn't want to use GURPS for the sort of Warner Bros.-style madness that Toon depicts. Not because it couldn't do it, but because that kind of break with reality is better captured in a dedicated ruleset, and one not fundamentally grounded in realistic expectations.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:32 AM   #5
Refplace

The Dragonball world is doable.
In my mind the hardest genre would be Toon like.
You would need to add a lot of optional rules.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:22 AM   #6
DangerousThing

GURPS Stawberry Shortcake. It haunts my nightmares.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:31 AM   #7
Silvermane

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
GURPS Stawberry Shortcake. It haunts my nightmares.
Now I HAVE to do this. Had thought about MLP too. (OBVIOUSLY) But at least it has enough fantasy elements that you could cludge a game together.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:42 AM   #8
Blind Mapmaker

I don't think MLP would be a huge problem. Obviously you'd make heavy use of Impulse Buys and stay away from rules that favour gritty realism. Apart from that it's mainly flavour and what you focus on. GURPS is perfectly capable of running games with very little combat and still give the players interesting challenges. Designing the racial templates would take some thinking, but that doesn't mean it can't get done.
Blind Mapmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:47 AM   #9
Silvermane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Mapmaker View Post
I don't think MLP would be a huge problem. Obviously you'd make heavy use of Impulse Buys and stay away from rules that favour gritty realism. Apart from that it's mainly flavour and what you focus on. GURPS is perfectly capable of running games with very little combat and still give the players interesting challenges. Designing the racial templates would take some thinking, but that doesn't mean it can't get done.
The Racial templates aren't too hard to make for MLP races. (All of mine are 80+ points though...)

Horizontal, Extra Arms(Foot manips), Claws hooves, Lifting ST, Talent, Enhanced move. Add flavor for the other races and it works out pretty nicely.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:07 AM   #10
Blind Mapmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermane View Post
The Racial templates aren't too hard to make for MLP races. (All of mine are 80+ points though...)

Horizontal, Extra Arms(Foot manips), Claws hooves, Lifting ST, Talent, Enhanced move. Add flavor for the other races and it works out pretty nicely.
I was thinking mainly of things like that weird pegasus telekinesis (keeping flying carts straight behind you) and what unicorn magic actually means (it sure doesn't look like Magery for most ponies). But sure, the templates aren't the biggest problem. Making sure players don't think in rules terms all the time is much more important. On the other hand, it's nice to not think of realism and combat options all the time. GURPS can run such games just fine, even though it's not its primary purpose.
Blind Mapmaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gm advice