Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-01-2016, 07:04 PM   #151
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Unkillable 3 vs. a Black Hole?

Singularities, as I understood, were conjectured point sources of infinite density. Either way, as we literally do not have math that fits, we still don't know what's there. We have ideas that fit some of our observations, but I don't think that really rises to "we know" at all.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:53 PM   #152
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
...no. By definition singularities exist at the center of a black hole.
Only if you assume the mathematics that contain that singularity must be complete and correct as it stands today. It's far more likely that the very existence of a singularity in the math indicates that we've pushed the math further than it really goes, and that something else happens on small scales or with intense curvature. Divide-by-zero most often means that you've misapplied a function, not that the universe really does sudden turns into simultaneous positive and negative infinity.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:30 PM   #153
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
INSIDE the event-horizon of the super-massive black hole, which is where relativity gets weird, you will eventually have to worry about tidal forces if you keep going inwards.
It isn't so much the relativity gets weird, but relativity and quantum mechanics make contradictory predictions. And, as best we can tell, both are true. The faller will see one set of predictions pan out, and the observer on the outside will see the other. Since no observer can see both mechanisms (and the two observers can't compare notes), opposite outcomes don't violate anything except how we instinctively think the universe should work.

Last edited by RyanW; 10-01-2016 at 09:33 PM.
RyanW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gm advice, unkillable