Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-20-2023, 01:48 PM   #11
Donny Brook

Default Re: Question about spears

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
How is it a red herring? The relevant sentence from the perk description:
"For instance, you could start your turn using a spear with the Staff skill, switch to the Spear skill to attack, and then return to Staff for parrying."
If what you're saying is correct, there wouldn't be any benefit at all to actually doing that.
I didn't mean the phrase to be offensive of dismissive. I just mean it's not what determines the answer to the question.

Your point is a good one that the Form Mastery perk appears to do nothing.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 01:49 PM   #12
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
I didn't mean the phrase to be offensive of dismissive. I just mean it's not what determines the answer to the question.

Your point is a good one that the Form Mastery perk appears to do nothing.
Or it actually does do what the text suggests it can. That's what the other posts that have been linked upthread seem to say.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 01:53 PM   #13
Donny Brook

Quote:
Or it actually does do what the text suggests it can. That's what the other posts that have been linked upthread seem to say.
The text says it lets you change the skill you are using a spear with as a free action. Yes, it does that. It doesn't say you can use a spear as if it was a staff, hence your question.
Old 01-20-2023, 02:28 PM   #14
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
The text says it lets you change the skill you are using a spear with as a free action. Yes, it does that. It doesn't say you can use a spear as if it was a staff, hence your question.
I mean, it explicitly mentions doing it for the purpose of parrying. The implication is clearly there. And with the Kromm quotes linked in this thread, I'm pretty sure it does in fact give the benefits you'd expect from treating it as a staff.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 02:38 PM   #15
Donny Brook

Quote:
I mean, it explicitly mentions doing it for the purpose of parrying. The implication is clearly there. And with the Kromm quotes linked in this thread, I'm pretty sure it does in fact give the benefits you'd expect from treating it as a staff.
Yes, you are right. I just tuned in to the fact that Staff parrying is a property of the skill. But I think any other properties of using a staff (e.g. Swing damage) would not have the same treatment.

Edit: Otherwise, what difference is there between Grip Mastery and Form Mastery?

Last edited by Donny Brook; 01-20-2023 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-20-2023, 03:06 PM   #16
Farmer

Quote:
Yes, you are right. I just tuned in to the fact that Staff parrying is a property of the skill. But I think any other properties of using a staff (e.g. Swing damage) would not have the same treatment.

Edit: Otherwise, what difference is there between Grip Mastery and Form Mastery?
As per Kromm:

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...14&postcount=9

Quote:
Form Mastery reflects real-world styles that use distinct grips that GURPS would call "staff" and "spear" grips. Weapon Adaptation, on the other hand, represents real-world styles that use unorthodox weapons for a particular GURPS skill and never teach what GURPS considers the orthodox skill/weapon matchup. It's a judgment call, and the perks are similar in some ways, but there are both real-world and game-mechanical differences.
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 03:25 PM   #17
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
Yeah, I don't know what he means by that.
Old 01-21-2023, 07:57 PM   #18
acrosome

The really easy solution is to give the character the Weapon Adaptation (Spear to Staff skill) perk from Martial Arts. Voila, a spear works just like a staff.

Weapon Adaptation is actually pretty powerful for a 1-point perk. (Not unlike combining Signature Gear with Weapon Bond- I mean, why wouldn't you? They're 1 point each.) The builds can get pretty fun, as in this old post:

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...3&postcount=28

I kind of disagree with this, though:

Quote:
In my interpretation, the ability to use a spear with Staff skill, in the absence of more specifics, simply means that Staff skill will allow you to use a spear as a spear at your Staff skill level. You are still using a spear, and the rules for using a spear are the ones that apply.
I think of Staff skill as a sort of higher-order almost-chambara-style Spear skill. Spear skill is for a hoplite who was taught how to jam the pointy bit into the guy in front of him, whereas Staff skill is how a martial artist in a Jackie Chan movie a uses a spear- they parry and do other fun stuff with it. So a spear can also be used with Staff skill and get all of the Staff specialness such as the parry bonus. However, by 4E RAW I think that you can use Spear skill one-handed, whereas you cannot with Staff skill.

All of which reminds me that we have to add that to the proposed 5E changes: remove the special Staff defensive bonus and just formalize Defensive Grip. Heck, then you might be able to do away with Spear skill and just say that spears use Staff skill. Simplification is good, in this instance.

Last edited by acrosome; 01-21-2023 at 09:24 PM.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 12:59 AM   #19
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
The really easy solution is to give the character the Weapon Adaptation (Spear to Staff skill) perk from Martial Arts. Voila, a spear works just like a staff.
Note that this only lets you use a spear with the Staff skill when you're wielding the spear in both hands.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 08:26 AM   #20
Rasna

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post

Weapon Adaptation is actually pretty powerful for a 1-point perk. (Not unlike combining Signature Gear with Weapon Bond- I mean, why wouldn't you? They're 1 point each.) The builds can get pretty fun, as in this old post:

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...3&postcount=28

I kind of disagree with this, though:

I think of Staff skill as a sort of higher-order almost-chambara-style Spear skill. Spear skill is for a hoplite who was taught how to jam the pointy bit into the guy in front of him, whereas Staff skill is how a martial artist in a Jackie Chan movie a uses a spear- they parry and do other fun stuff with it. So a spear can also be used with Staff skill and get all of the Staff specialness such as the parry bonus. However, by 4E RAW I think that you can use Spear skill one-handed, whereas you cannot with Staff skill.

All of which reminds me that we have to add that to the proposed 5E changes: remove the special Staff defensive bonus and just formalize Defensive Grip. Heck, then you might be able to do away with Spear skill and just say that spears use Staff skill. Simplification is good, in this instance.
The problem is that base GURPS Spear hasn't the very same balance of base GURPS Quarterstaff and lacks End Caps.

In GURPS, base Spear is a 3 lbs. pole having Reach 1, 2 with a 1 lb. tip on one of its extremities; while base Quarterstaff is a 3 lbs. pole with Reach 1, 2 having a total of 1 lb. in end caps equally distributed on both of its extremities. So using a Spear like a Quarterstaff would result in -1 cr damage for swing and thrusts like a Quarterstaff without End Caps (unless the Spear has a Blunt Butt Spike or End Caps as well) and the Parry should be +1, not +2 like a perfectly balanced Quarterstaff.

IMO, the Parry +2 for staves is due for both their balance and their great parrying surface. Dueling polearms do have in fact a parrying surface comparable to that of staves, but when they're used with the Staff skill they have Parry 0 for thrusts and Parry 0U for swings, not Parry +2, and that's because of their balance. Speaking of balance, spears come midway between staves (point of balance in the center) and dueling polearms (point of balance markedly toward one extremity), so IMO they should have Parry +1 when they are used with Staff skill, not Parry +2.

Last edited by Rasna; 01-22-2023 at 08:29 AM.
Rasna is offline   Reply With Quote