Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-08-2023, 05:39 PM   #1
Hybris

Default GURPS Lite and a Open gaming license?

Hallo a long-time lurker here.

Has the Gurps team ever disused the possibilti with a limited Open gaming license as Wizards of the Cost has/had with Dnd?

I understand that a full license on everything is not possible but a more niche one based on Gurps Lite or similar?
Hybris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 04:52 AM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: GURPS Lite and a Open gaming license?

The subject comes up from time to time but to my memory nevery by official sources, just peoples occasional requests.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 06:54 AM   #3
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybris View Post
Hallo a long-time lurker here.

Has the Gurps team ever disused the possibilti with a limited Open gaming license as Wizards of the Cost has/had with Dnd?

I understand that a full license on everything is not possible but a more niche one based on Gurps Lite or similar?
As far as I can tell, the devs have determined that due to their business model, doing anything more OGL-esque than GURP Lite or GURPS Ultra-Lite would cause them to lose money.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 07:45 AM   #4
Varyon

From what I understand, one of the reasons SJGames doesn't want to do anything OGL-esque is to avoid a bit of brand dilution. SJGames puts a lot of money, time, and effort into producing supplements that adhere to their standards of quality. If they allow someone else to produce what are basically GURPS supplements, they no longer have that degree of quality-control, and you can wind up with poorly-made supplements that a casual observer will think is mainline GURPS, and will judge the line accordingly. To my knowledge, the only group outside of SJGames that is able to make GURPS-adjacent content in a manner roughly akin to the OGL is Gaming Ballistic, and that only after they demonstrated a history of high-production-quality content (and they're restricted to DFRPG content specifically for their Nordlond setting, although most such content is readily-exportable to other DFRPG settings or indeed mainline GURPS).
Old 01-09-2023, 08:31 AM   #5
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
To my knowledge, the only group outside of SJGames that is able to make GURPS-adjacent content in a manner roughly akin to the OGL is Gaming Ballistic
Amarillo Design Bureau also has a license so that they can publish the GURPS version of the Prime Directive rpg. Eden published GURPS Conspiracy X, but that was years ago.

That said, it needs to be underlined that none of these arrangements are in any way like an OGL. That is, they are emphatically not open licenses. They're very conventional, individually negotiated, special purpose licenses, basically contracts between two companies. SJ Games has always been willing to at least seriously consider licensing to other publishers. In addition to those, there have been a number of original works associated with some of GURPS's licensed translations in Korea, Japan, and Germany. But, and this is the point, SJ Games has always been pretty unambiguous in not wanting an open license for GURPS. Could that change? Well, it doesn't violate any known laws of physics, but they've been disinclined to do an open license for any of their products for all the years people have been asking, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 10:58 AM   #6
Anthony

I would note that the OGL is something Wizards itself hasn't been super enthusiastic about for years (and is apparently in the process of trying to kill), so I wouldn't really expect it to be a model an established publisher to follow.
Old 01-09-2023, 11:14 AM   #7
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I would note that the OGL is something Wizards itself hasn't been super enthusiastic about for years (and is apparently in the process of trying to kill), so I wouldn't really expect it to be a model an established publisher to follow.
Honestly, after having recently read a bit (a very small bit, mind you) about the OGL changes, I kinda assumed the question in the thread was meant to roughly be "Now that d20's OGL is being shanked in a back alley, are there any plans for GURPS to try to fill the vacuum left behind?"
Old 01-09-2023, 11:35 AM   #8
WingedKagouti

SJG will (usually) ignore fanprojects that are available for free to everyone, as long as those projects make sure to inform people that they aren't official.

Something like the OGL would only really be needed if you were expecting to profit from whatever you put out. And amid the general panic in the D&D community, it's also worth pointing out that this is true there as well. The new OGL isn't about killing fanprojects, it's WotC trying to claw back some of the profits from third party "official" products.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 12:44 PM   #9
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
SJG will (usually) ignore fanprojects that are available for free to everyone, as long as those projects make sure to inform people that they aren't official.
Also it needs to not violate copyright, trademarks, Image Use guidelines, and apply to the ToS.
And copyrighted text needs to follow the rules in the online policy and be kept to an approved minimum.
http://www.sjgames.com/general/online_policy.html
Anyone wanting to write any fan material should read that last link and the additional links and material it points to.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 03:14 PM   #10
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
Something like the OGL would only really be needed if you were expecting to profit from whatever you put out. And amid the general panic in the D&D community, it's also worth pointing out that this is true there as well. The new OGL isn't about killing fanprojects, it's WotC trying to claw back some of the profits from third party "official" products.
While I would not 'technically' disagree with you; considering the leaked OGL 1.1 is based around Gross Revenues...

Well the people Wotc/Hasbro would be looking at most likely would intend to profit...since the lowest (we want a taste) tier apparently starts at $50,000 Gross Revenue (and is also subject to abrupt change) they will likely take money from a lot of people not within yelling distance of actual profit.

Tags
ogl, open gaming license