Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-19-2022, 05:30 AM   #51
dataweaver

Default Re: [Magic-as-Powers] Power Stunts as Spells

Interesting. I would build the truly permanent items around Metatronic Generators and Devotional Enchantment, possibly allowing some of the point cost to be paid with a sort of inversion of Points For Money: incorporating mystically appropriate materials (generally in the form of materials the dwarf needs to go out and harvest himself; i.e. “loot drops” in a Dungeon Fantasy game) worth 10% of the campaign starting wealth covers the cost of one character point worth of Metatronic Generator.

If the item has a failure condition (which is something I'd be more inclined to apply to faerie crafters rather than dwarven crafters), refer to the Conditional Duration chart in Thaumatology to get a sense of how much that failure condition should be worth; or price it in accordance to an Accessibility Limitation, but increased to account for the fact that the magic fails under the stated condition rather than merely being suppressed while the condition is in play.
Old 11-20-2022, 05:39 PM   #52
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
Interesting. I would build the truly permanent items around Metatronic Generators and Devotional Enchantment, possibly allowing some of the point cost to be paid with a sort of inversion of Points For Money: incorporating mystically appropriate materials (generally in the form of materials the dwarf needs to go out and harvest himself; i.e. “loot drops” in a Dungeon Fantasy game) worth 10% of the campaign starting wealth covers the cost of one character point worth of Metatronic Generator.
I don't have the book/issue for Metatronic Generators (and being unemployed, am unlikely to get it soon), so didn't consider them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
If the item has a failure condition (which is something I'd be more inclined to apply to faerie crafters rather than dwarven crafters), refer to the Conditional Duration chart in Thaumatology to get a sense of how much that failure condition should be worth; or price it in accordance to an Accessibility Limitation, but increased to account for the fact that the magic fails under the stated condition rather than merely being suppressed while the condition is in play.
Yeah, the 'Permanent until X' version was probably me being too clever and sleep-deprived enough not to think things through. As well as the fae, it might fit tinker-gnomes well enough. Meanwhile, here's an alternate version that probably fits the dwarves better, though I find myself wanting to add either a small enhancement or a somewhat larger limitation (or dropping DR to +1, and adding a small enhancement), to better fit GURPS pentaphilia:
Affliction (Advantages: DR+2 (Magic, -10%), +90% and Resistant to Corrosion +3 (Magic, -10%), +45%; Permanent, +300%; Magic, -10%; Objects Only, -20%; Only for items I make, -10%; Requires IQ roll, -10%) [49]

Thoughts?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 07:49 PM   #53
dataweaver

I think you're making it too complicated. Instead, combine Magic Items As Advantages (Thaumatology pp.113–115) with Devotional Enchantment (p.54), specifically the “Creating Character Points” option. (As written, Devotional Enchantment uses Symbol Drawing, dovetailing nicely with Urban Magic). For flavor, I'd replace the meditation requirement with appropriate Engineering expertise: your character isn't spending months in seclusion staring at his navel; he's spending that time drafting a blueprint.

“Power Stunts as Spells” factors in when you use an FP expenditure and a Will-based Symbol Drawing roll to invoke the Extra Effort, Temporary Enhancement, or Using Abilities At Default power stunts to “jury-rig” the magic item's point-based enchantments.

Last edited by dataweaver; 11-20-2022 at 07:58 PM.
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 11:18 PM   #54
Prince Charon

I've been thinking about possible core advantages for each of the Hermetic decans in GURPS Thaumatology (pp248-252). I don't have all of them yet, but I have a few ideas (note that the 'Decan of' summaries are subjective shorthand, and thus cannot be 100% accurate):

*Agchoniôn (Decan of sound) - Voice, Discriminatory Hearing, or some sort of Thunderclap-style attack.

*Akhouiy (Decan of luck) - Serendipity or a luck/curse-related Affliction.

*Akton (Decan of corruption/evil spirits/demons) - Medium or Channelling, limited to Demons.

*Alath (Decan of rest/boredom) - Neutralize.

*Alleborith (Decan of pure magic) - Control Mana.

*Anatreth (Decan of movement) - Basic Speed or Telekinesis.

*Anostêr (Decan of the unnamable, the void before creation) - ???.

*Arôtosael (Decan of creation and destruction) - ???.

*Atrax (Decan of food) - Create Food?.

*Axiôphêth (Decan of gravity and oppression) - ???.

*Barsafael (Decan of hidden truth) - Medium or Channelling, limited to ???.

*Bebel (Decan of ghosts) - Medium or Channelling, limited to Ghosts.

*Bianakith (Decan of the body) - ???.

*Buldumêch (Decan of wealth) - ???.

*Charchnoumis (Decan of animals) - Animal Empathy, Shapeshifting, or Speak to Animals.

*Eneuth (Decan of fire) - Burning Attack or Control Flames.

*Harpax (Decan of plants) - Control Plant.

*Hephesimereth (Decan of emptiness) - ???.

*Ieropaêl (Decan of earth) - Coltrol Earth.

*Isrö (Decan of air) - Control Air or a wind-based Crushing Attack.

*Iudal (Decan of gateways and travel) - Warp.

*Kumeatêl (Decan of the hidden) - Affliction of a Permanent advantage?.

*Kurtaêl (Decan of death and decay) - Toxic Attack or something related to the undead.

*Marderô (Decan of crisis and rebellion) - ???.

*Methiax (Decan of creation and form) - Illusion or Snatcher (Creation).

*Naôth (Decan of communication) - Telecommunication.

*Nefthada (Decan of pleasure) - Affliction?.

*Ouare (Decan of machines) - Control Machines, maybe Gadgeteer?.

*Phoubêl (Decan of light and darkness) - Obscure, Control Light, or similar; possibly Illusion with some limitations.

*Phthenoth (Decan of healing) - Healing or Regeneration.

*Roêlêd (Decan of warnings and defence) - Danger Sense or Damage Resistance.

*Ruax (Decan of minds) - Mind Control or Mind Reading.

*Sahu (Decan of weather) - Control Weather.

*Saphathoraél (Decan of water) - Control Water.

*Sphandôr (Decan of knowledge) - Inspired Intuition or Inspired Oracle.

*Tepsisem (Decan of transience) - ???.

Admittedly, using a 'one core advantage per category' form of power-stunts-as-spells is quite limiting when you have this many categories, but it could fit some games.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 12-05-2022 at 03:51 AM.
Old 11-05-2023, 04:17 AM   #55
Prince Charon

Started a thing that was supposed to be just a post in this thread, but became a thread of it's own: Psychic Familiarity. The very, very short version is that it's the ability to use various creatures, objects, or places as temporary familiars (or permanent, if you spend the points). Could also be useful as a justification for the use of 'magical ingredients' in an 'Old-Time Psi' setting.

Change the Power Modifier and some of the terminology, and it fits pretty well with Magic, Spirits, Chi, and probably a few others.

-- Tacitus

Old 11-05-2023, 05:38 AM   #56
ajardoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Have you looked at GURPS Sorcery? It uses Alternative Abilities for most spells and then power stunts for really powerful ones. If nothing else you could cannibalize it for ideas.
I think Improvised and Hardcore Improvised Spells in Sorcery are meant to be a sort of adaptation of Power Stunts as Spells.

So that answers that thread question, I guess.

Tags
magic-as-powers, techniques