Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-03-2019, 11:27 AM   #5
jason taylor

Default Re: How to portray shunning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Usually shunning is done by the powerful against those without power.
If thats thecase I would make being shunned a Social Stigma.
Ostracism certainly was not. It was specifically designed to emasculate power. In fact I don't think it would qualify as shunning at all. I can't recall any social consequences for associating with an ostracized person, albeit politically that would put him in danger of suspicion of conspiracy.

As for shunning being done by the powerful against those without power in general, I am not sure that holds water. There is the old trope about certain occupations being pariahs to those to profit by them (executioners, prostitutes, garbage collectors to name a few). Counter to that is the fact that in many cases no one cares what the great unwashed do-that is why they are the great unwashed. Whereas there are many things that can get a powerful person "coventrated". Running away in battle, or cheating at cards for instance.

Last edited by jason taylor; 10-03-2019 at 11:33 AM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote