Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-03-2009, 01:14 AM   #1
Johnny Angel

Default most humorous GURPS moments you've had?

I've had the pleasure of introducing GURPS to quite a few people who had not played the system before. As with teaching nearly anything, I expected that there woud be questions. What I didn't expect was the level of humour which would be produced from seriously asked questions.

In particular, I recently had a player creating a character ask me whether or not 'Trained By A Master' was an appropriate advantage which could be applied to the Erotic Art skill. My initial thought was to simply say no, but I was interested in the thought process behind the question, so I engaged the player in question in conversation. This then lead to me discovering that from just briefly scanning the names of techniques, she had wanted to give her character the 'Power Blow' technique for Erotic Art. Being fairly new to the system myself at the time, and trying to keep a straight face, I simply said that I suppose that would be a valid option; I'd do some research and give it more thought, but I didn't think that sort of thing would come up in the type of game we were playing.

Are there any particular GURPS moments which you've had that were humorous?

If it's possible to give an answer which is appropriate for a public forum, I'd be interested to hear how some of the more experienced GURPS gurus would handle the question presented in my story.
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:42 AM   #2
dcarson

Default Re: most humorous GURPS moments you've had?

The most amusing bit during play was the time in a Yrth campaign when we smuggled the Caliph out of the country by disguiseing him as the Caliph. We were pretending to be a troop of entertainers and used makeup and hair styking to have him look like an actor playing the Caliph in the show. We had people tell us that he looked a lot like the real Caliph except the Caliph never looked that happy.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:48 AM   #3
Xilodel

Two of my friends and my younger brother were playing in a campaign where they had to infiltrate the underground ruins of an ancient city to look for a fugitive who went into hiding down there.

They decided to split up to cover more ground, so Friend 1 (Playing a Catfolk swashbuckler) went one way, while Friend 2 and my brother (playing a human mercenary and a 14-year-old human ranger, both male characters) headed the other.

Friend 2 and my brother ended up in a decrepit alchemist's shop with some of potions and a few bottles of booze still intact. My brother immediately began slamming down bottles of wine while Friend 2 started carefully sipping potions. After downing a potion of Fly and realizing my brothers character was too trashed to do anything, Friend 2 decided to fly up above the old city and look for Friend 1.

Friend 1, who was several hundred yards away, was told to make a spot check to see if he could see Friend 2 zipping around above the building-line. He succeeded, to which I responded "You can see Friend 2 flying around the city, carrying what appears to be a drunk teenage boy in his arms."

I didn't realize what that sounded like until after the fact. They, on the other hand, caught it immediately. Hilarity ensues.
Xilodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:52 AM   #4
weby

Well, one recent funny thing was fumbling Jedi and gunslinger.. four fastdraw dropped weapon fumbles in 2 seconds on a group of 4 characters.

First actions:
Jedi 1 : I fastdraw my lightsaber ->Fumble
Jedi 2: I fastdraw my lightsaber ->Fumble
Gunslinger: I fastdraw my pistol ->Fumble
Tech: I fastdraw rifle, drop and start to aim. ->success
Next actions:
Jedi 1: I fastdraw my second lightsaber ->Fumble
weby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:21 AM   #5
Ubiquitous

I can't really do it justice in text, usually it's a timing thing, but every time we play GURPS, I always give my characters Erotic Art (because you never know, right?) and whenever I get in a jam, I always lament how it won't help me as sing-songly as I can.

GM: 'Alright two guys step out from behind the bar, with pistols. Two more from each side, and two step from beside the door. You didn't see them when you came in and didn't succeed your checks to notice them either.
Me: 'So I'm surrounded? By eight guys?'
GM: 'Yes.'
Me: '...I GUESS EROTIC ART WON'T HELP ME NOOOW...'

The people I play with usually manage a small laugh at least, possibly because its a really good joke but more likely because deep down they're 12.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angel View Post
If it's possible to give an answer which is appropriate for a public forum, I'd be interested to hear how some of the more experienced GURPS gurus would handle the question presented in my story.
I'd advise the Cross-Trained Perk and let her buff her Erotic Art to use with Power Blow. Now Power Blow is a double-entendre but more importantly now you have someone Pelvic-Thrusting through concrete walls.

New character concept, by the way.

Last edited by Ubiquitous; 12-03-2009 at 07:26 AM.
Ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:16 AM   #6
Collective_Restraint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
Me: 'So I'm surrounded? By eight guys?'
GM: 'Yes.'
Actually, you never know :)
Old 12-03-2009, 11:37 AM   #7
Kazander

I have a friend who (used to) have a prediliction for throwing grenades around, in campaigns where they were available to our characters (i.e. military).

Well, we had one campaign where we, through circumstances became Space Marines of sorts, in a semi-realistic (though futuristic) campaign. It came up one day that were battling baddies while on a spaceship. He though he had a trump card against them when he threw a grenade into a lift chute....after which we promptly reminded him that we'd lost the artificial gravity in the preceding space battle....so the grenade just hung there instead of falling down to the next level like he intended. He followed up with the only thing he could envision keeping everyone else from getting hurt from his mistake: he grabbed the grenade and covered it with his body. Saved everyone else but died horribly. And we posthumously reminded him that he could have just thrown it again instead of doing that (timed fuse).......there was much laughter that night.

He doesn't use grenades anymore; in fact he's not allowed to use grenades anymore for everyone's sake.
Kazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:26 PM   #8
The_Nightwatch

Went into the highly magical area, the two PCs and the NPC are promptly attacked by a tough dude. They take him down, go through the body, find an amulet around his neck. One lifts it off him.

"Make a Will roll," I say, not too concerned. All three have really high Will scores.

She fails, puts the amulet around her neck, becomes the new guardian.

The other two manage to take her down without killing her. Obviously the cursed amulet has to come off.

"Make a Will roll." She fails, and now the NPC's gotta take down a PC, something I normally hate but the players saw the humor in it.

He was able to do it; meanwhile the first PC woke up. The NPC lifted off the amulet...failed his Will roll....

The first PC ended up failing again before they finally got the thing off and threw it across the room. :D
The_Nightwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:39 PM   #9
ClayDowling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
You really, really need the Bullet Proof Nudity perk, and velcro attachments on all your clothes.

My own best humor moment: http://www.rpg-campaign.com/blogs/ma...n-wine-bad-you

My player tells it better than I did. But you can read the whole campaign for some amusement.

Last edited by ClayDowling; 12-03-2009 at 06:43 PM.
ClayDowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:56 PM   #10
Lyzzy

Ok, this might seem a bit immature, but that one time, in camp -err in an underground cellar, I had to watch the misery of a character whose player wanted to throw dice on everything. He could've just had a nice half-an-hour with the hot elf NSC he had seduced (after much attempts at anyone female and elven), but nooo, he insisted on measuring his manhood with a HT roll - of course, a critical failure came up. So, later that day he wanted a another go - rolled again - critical failure. Everyone at the table was giggling by now and before he could try out whether I had cursed the dice (it was an open throw) or there was something wrong on his part, the sitting-around-doing-nothing was interrupted by some police guys showing up and demanding papers for the place. The one NSC that set the whole thing up (it was supposed to be a friendly takeover of an abondend place by means of raising the cash and hacking the ownershipdatabase), got outside, lost his temper and hit an officer (because the PC where busy doing other things), after which they came after the rest. The PC, seeing they where in trouble as they had barricaded the only exit to protect themselves from the ghouls in the sewer, thought quick and tried their best to stop the police from kicking down the door between them. They where nearly finished and had already planted the C4 to the barricade whilst the elf nsc hacked the document, as our player from above found a clever solution - "You can't come in, because........BECAUSE WE HAVE HOSTAGES!" after some initial shock, the others rolled with it, some techies got drapped up as hostages, the C4 exploded and the party stormed trough the sewer to freedom. Excluding our hero, who blew his rolls, slipped, held of some SWAT-Members in full armor with nothing but a handheld pistol (the one time he managed to roll a crit he was one point short to penetrate amor), and had to be rescued from his girlfriend. After what has later been described as a very moving szene (it was very close to characterdeath / imprisonment a few times), the two managed to escape, saving each others butts a few times, even though our hero was at 0HP. After they reached the boat to freedom I asked him for an HT check against loss of conciousness, then added the dreaded words "Just think about sex", after which, naturally, he crit-failed and cursed me, as his character suffered a heart attack. They eventually managed to all get away, but the event, along with the line "WE HAVE HOSTAGES" lives on.

Last edited by Lyzzy; 12-03-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Lyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
funny, humour, silliness