Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 08-09-2011, 11:34 PM   #21
Apache
On Notice

Default Re: ISW, Ziru Sirka centered/POV campaigns

Running a Flandry-esque game from the POV of the Vilani (with the Terrans as the Mersians...) has a certain appeal to it.

And the players should never get the impression their actions don't count...even if you know (by GM fiat) that eventually they (the Vilani Imperium, that is) will fall.

It's one of the classic Cthulhu GM skills....
Old 08-09-2011, 11:40 PM   #22
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Running a Flandry-esque game from the POV of the Vilani (with the Terrans as the Mersians...) has a certain appeal to it.

And the players should never get the impression their actions don't count...even if you know (by GM fiat) that eventually they (the Vilani Imperium, that is) will fall.

It's one of the classic Cthulhu GM skills....
I strongly favor the view that the choices made by the players should nearly always matter. Even if big, far-off events won't be affected, the PCs' actions should still sway local or immediate outcomes.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:47 PM   #23
doulos05

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
I strongly favor the view that the choices made by the players should nearly always matter. Even if big, far-off events won't be affected, the PCs' actions should still sway local or immediate outcomes.
Indeed, in the one 'beyond their control' campaign I've run, the players were instrumental in 1) Saving Estates General from a improvised dirty bomb, 2) rescuing 120 POWs from a 're-education camp', 3) crippling an entire battalion by poisoning the water supply, and 4) waylaying about 500 tons of supplies in a masterfully executed ambush.
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:00 AM   #24
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos05 View Post
Indeed, in the one 'beyond their control' campaign I've run, the players were instrumental in 1) Saving Estates General from a improvised dirty bomb, 2) rescuing 120 POWs from a 're-education camp', 3) crippling an entire battalion by poisoning the water supply, and 4) waylaying about 500 tons of supplies in a masterfully executed ambush.
Yep, that's what I mean.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:11 PM   #25
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
Yep, that's what I mean.
That is a good idea. Maybe they cannot prevent the downfall of the Zira Sirka but they can prevent the treasonous plot of whoever to murder the Apkulla Kibrat Arban's second cousin twice removed.

Tags
interstellar wars