Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
JCurwen3

Default Affliction with a permanent energy cost?

I am trying to emulate the abilities of the original D&D immortals in GURPS. They had Power Points (PP) - some of their abilities were powered by temporary PP expenditures. Others, all of them falling in the category of Afflictions with Extended Duration, Permanent, +300%, required a permanent PP expenditure - in other words, your max PP go down.

How'd you do that? I thought give them an ER (PP), and have all the abilities that cost temporary PP have Costs ER (PP) of the appropriate amount.

With the permanent cost abilities, I thought:
Affliction (Whatever, +???%; Extended Duration, Permanent, +300%; Temporary Disadvantage, Reduced ER (PP) levels ?, -??%)

Does that work? The "Temporary" Disadvantage will last as long as the Affliction lasts, which will be forever. I think that kind of does it, but it does allow the immortal to activate the ability even when he doesn't have enough in the old ER (PP) bank.

Also, immortals are supposed to die when they hit 0 PP, so I thought that building one, the immortal sells down HP to 0, and buys back their HP as an alternative ability to their ER (PP), point for point, and top it off with Fragile (Unnatural). Although I wonder what an appropriate enhancement value on that disadvantage would be so they die at 0 HP instead of -HP (I mean, it's just the 1 HP, can't be too much, right)?

I still don't want a character to be able to create a potentially potent permanent effect (even if it is in their death throws) that they couldn't pay for, which the above Affliction meta-build would allow. An Accessibility (only if you have the PP)? What should that value be?

Or, you know, tell me I'm going about it all wrong and give me a better idea please!
Old 11-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #2
aesir23

Default Re: Affliction with a permanent energy cost?

Here's how I would do it:

Give them Costs CP for the ability and call it a feature that instead of taking a free character point, they have to take a permanent -1 to their ER trait instead.

Apply the 1/5 cost only to the total points spent on Extended Duration:Permanent and Selectivity.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
affliction, afflictions, costs, energy reserve, permanent, temporary disadvantage