Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 08-15-2011, 11:23 PM   #1
owenmp

Default Movement Chart and Control Table

What system do you use for your Car Wars games?

1. The referee has a Master Movement Chart and a Master Control Table. The referee calls out each phase, when everyone moves and how far each vehicle moves in a phase.

2. Each player has a Movement Chart and a Control Table. The referee calls out each phase and the players move following their Movement Charts. The referee coordinates close-quarters movement, collisions, out of control vehicle and other complicated situations.
Twitter: Car Combat Central
https://twitter.com/carcombat

Last edited by owenmp; 08-16-2011 at 05:35 PM.
owenmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:07 AM   #2
ak_aramis

Default Re: Movement Chart and Control Table

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenmp View Post
* The referee has a Master Movement Chart and a Master Control Table. The referee calls out each phase, when everyone moves and how far each vehicle moves in a phase.
This one.

Usually.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:01 AM   #3
RogerBW

Quote:
* The referee has a Master Movement Chart and a Master Control Table. The referee calls out each phase, when everyone moves and how far each vehicle moves in a phase.
Nearly this. We usually play non-refereed, so for "the referee" read "whoever's closest at the time".
RogerBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:02 AM   #4
kjamma4

Quote:
* Each player has a Movement Chart and a Control Table. The referee calls out each phase and the players move following their Movement Charts. The referee coordinates close-quarters movement, collisions, out of control vehicle and other complicated situations.
Absolutely this. I have charts for everyone and usually any newbs/casual players*** can work on their own by mid-game.

***I think I belong to this category now. :( I really need to get this to the table soon.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:15 AM   #5
moseyalong

I've been using a combination of the two methods most recently, namely: there is a poster-size master movement chart that also has the control table on it (to the left of the speed/distance columns). Players track their own handling status, but speeds are managed by velcro arrows stuck to the wall next to the poster. That way, everybody can see at a glance not only their own speed and propensity to crash, but the relative speeds of their opponents. The ref takes orders on moving the speed arrows and calls out the phase (which is also indicated by another velcro arrow above the poster aligned with the appropriate phase column), but doesn't necessarily have to note who moves or how far. It's convenient that the room where we play has short-pile carpeting on the walls. :) I'm planning to make another poster with all of the to-hit modifiers printed big enough for everybody to see. I hung a 8.5x11 sheet next to the master ref poster last time, but the printing was too small to see from across the arena table.
moseyalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:03 AM   #6
Jeffr0

Giant-sized home brewed movement chart... with matching counters to whatever is in play to mark the speeds/phases. The counters on the map are full colour and double sided. The markers on the movement chart are single sided. I usually handle calling out who moves and when and when the turn break is.

If I can get it, I like to have a co-referee that calls all of the to-hit modifiers.

My one problem is that I don't yet have a good system for secret and simultaneous fire declaration for between the phases-- I used to play that you could only declare fire on your own moves (and that your target got automatic me-too fire back at you.)
Old 08-16-2011, 01:36 PM   #7
Parody

Closer to the second. We don't have a referee, but various players take over calling duties as needed. We have reference charts if people want them but not everyone uses them; those that don't will ask for a number when they get down there. Uninvolved players handle collisions and more complicated crash table results if necessary. (Not needed that often; it's not hard to resolve a fishtail or sideswipe.)