Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 08-23-2021, 01:20 AM   #1
JimTullis

Default Lack of official card list for core set.

Since SJGames hasn't produced an official Card List for the Core Box I'm made my own. OPENOFFICE has a plug-in that lets you sort of edit PDFs with OPEN OFFICE DRAW. Using that I copied the style of the Miniatures Set 1 PDF and made a matching PDF for the Core Box with the card list I got from the Discord Server. I just need to find better images of the Cad Renders for the Miniatures in the Core Box.

There are so many art projects to do for 6th edition.
Binders.
Acrylic Tokens and Turning Keys.
Crew Miniatures and Movement Keys for them.

I need to find someone who is good with computer graphics to add textures to my file so I can create a 6-foot long play-mat of a section of Interstate. The Car Wars description on Board Game Geeks promises FREEWAYS, but the only mats we have are parking lots and rural roads.
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 07:13 AM   #2
steam_bucky

Default Re: Lack of official card list for core set.

+1 for this project. I'd really like to see this project come to fruition.

I think the SJGames people have their hands full with other projects and making games in a covid word ATM BUT once we actually get the the KS in our hands I'd be happy to do some data entry to make this happen. It would not take long to divide up the work.

Those binders are going to be essential IMO.
steam_bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 08:38 PM   #3
JimTullis

Steam_Bucky, VRIPLEY has created a Discord Server https://discord.gg/3r4R7cq

I posted a file there in the Game Accessories thread with the outline for creating a binder that pays homage to the first Uncle Albert's Catalog.

Also HowitzerExplosionGuy has linked a spreadsheet with all the build cards.
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 10:26 AM   #4
PresidentTwoeagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTullis View Post
Steam_Bucky, VRIPLEY has created a Discord Server https://discord.gg/3r4R7cq

I posted a file there in the Game Accessories thread with the outline for creating a binder that pays homage to the first Uncle Albert's Catalog.

Also HowitzerExplosionGuy has linked a spreadsheet with all the build cards.
That's me, I'm HowitzerExplosionGuy! Yes, join the Discord to see the list. The core set list is 99% accurate as far as I know, I've seen several different descriptions for the crew cards though. The most recent video they posted from 2019 had even DIFFERENT descriptions but so much has changed since then. Either way, the spreadsheet is a good start.
Old 08-27-2021, 01:36 PM   #5
43Supporter

Huh -- now I have a use for my Discord account.... :)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 02:24 AM   #6
beowulfe

I have been reimaging the dashboards
beowulfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 05:00 AM   #7
Tony of TTT

The Core set cards are listed as being 234 in number.

200 seem to be designated build cards (50 per player) so 34 are not.

Is there just one set of damage cards or 1 per player ? In the demos they always seem to have a set each but in most text descriptions of content they say deck rather than decks.

The latest image of the core set (from the pre-order page) now includes what looks like a terrain card so some of those might be included. I had a feeling some were mentioned earlier in the development (the number 14 is noted in my early version of a contents spreadsheet) but that might be just reference to the walls, barriers and barrels which are counted separately on current lists.

Has anyone any idea what these non-build cards are - or even might be ?

I'm curious but quite happy to be surprised when it finally arrives - which may be quite a while as I'm in the UK.
Tony of TTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 02:06 PM   #8
Tony of TTT

OK, forget it. I knew I'd seen that list before - it is in the rulebook.

I think I've had numbers in my spreadsheet from early estimates and I'm getting confused.
Tony of TTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 01:06 AM   #9
baakyocalder

Really appreciate the Excel sheet from the Discord group. While it's not exactly the cards, it's giving me an idea of what's in the game.

I did tweak the color of the text for the black card column--it was too dark on my computer. Now it's more grey.

As for all the cards, I'm thinking we will also have some cards for turn instructions for players to go with the damage cards and all the cards for each of the 4 player colors in the core set. Then we have other cards in other sets.

Oh, and there's some significant and fun discussion on the Car Wars Discord server. So, going there to look at the list has been worthwhile.

I have significant real-life obligations, so I'll be on there, but having to watch how much time I spend talking about Car Wars. In the 1980s and 1990s, when I was a student and didn't have a job other than student (not a forever job except in an RPG), when I had considerably more free time, I spent a lot of that designing cars and other vehicles in Car Wars.

It will be a lot of fun designing cars, but the new system is going to be easier to play. And with Discord having voice and video, well, maybe we get some games going on it where you don't have to be at the same place because through the power of technology, we can autoduel from even an ocean away.

Drive offensively and may all your dice, be they digital or plastic official dice, roll kindly!

Waiting For: Schedule Sanity to Play Car Wars and my Fnordcon special alt Car Wars cards!
baakyocalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:53 AM   #10
Magesmiley

From what I recall from some discussions back at the first FnordCon, some of the cards would serve as road hazards (sand, debris, gravel, etc.), wrecks, and other items for placement on the battlefield.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote