Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-19-2020, 07:18 PM   #151
Stormcrow

Default Re: Virtual Table Top (VTT) support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
We may not use the character sheet at first because it’s a lot of data entry
There's no particular reason you have to use it. Lots of people use character sheets loaded elsewhere, like Google Docs or OneNote, and some groups just use each player's paper character sheet normally.

Quote:
I’ve resisted VTTs because they seem to need prep in areas where I don’t invest much time. My maps are usually in my head or roughly sketched in my notebook.
Just upload a picture or scan of your rough sketch to Roll20 and you've got an instant map. You can further mark it up with the drawing tools. No need to have a high-quality rendering. Either size it to your unit scale, or disable grid-snapping and just use your own map's scale.

I have even let players use the freehand tools when they want to draw their own map as they explore.

I don't usually use a tactical map. Instead, I often display useful reference materials where a map would otherwise be.

Don't lock yourself into thinking each tool is good for only one thing. For example, when I was running a game of Continuum, I used the Turn Tracker to keep track of what times all the characters were in, displaying them in chronological order, rather than using it to track initiative.
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:52 PM   #152
Ronnke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
I’ve resisted VTTs because they seem to need prep in areas where I don’t invest much time.
I do very little prep within the VTT (Fantasy Grounds in my case). I import the characters and significant NPCs from GCA/GCS, and then google search for a few appropriate maps and/or relevant images. That's about it. My campaign notes I have by my side, and the rest I do on the fly. Some people do a lot of prep, but it's certainly not a requirement and should not be an obstacle to exploring VTT options.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:44 PM   #153
arandathor

I'm curious to know if SJG has offered any additional responses to the idea of licensing with FG or Roll20?

In the face of Covid 19 I have come to appreciate the need to play virtually for the best of reasons: health. And while in person gaming is a dynamic I miss, I really wish I had the capacity to load up a GURPS rule set and interface with ease, and get on with the gaming.

Anyway, just curious about any recent developments.

Arandathor (aka Padre Moto on FG)
arandathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:44 PM   #154
Pmandrekar
Careful Wisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by arandathor View Post
I'm curious to know if SJG has offered any additional responses to the idea of licensing with FG or Roll20?

In the face of Covid 19 I have come to appreciate the need to play virtually for the best of reasons: health. And while in person gaming is a dynamic I miss, I really wish I had the capacity to load up a GURPS rule set and interface with ease, and get on with the gaming.

Anyway, just curious about any recent developments.

Arandathor (aka Padre Moto on FG)
Does anyone know of an interface that is well-suited to running GURPS? My game went virtual and we've been playing through Zoom, but we're working through shared copies of GCA characters.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts"- Daniel P. Moynihan
Pmandrekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 01:25 PM   #155
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmandrekar View Post
Does anyone know of an interface that is well-suited to running GURPS? My game went virtual and we've been playing through Zoom, but we're working through shared copies of GCA characters.
It depends on what you're looking for, and how you want to play.

Personally, my group uses TableTop Simulator and has had no problems. We like the 3d space. I print copies of the characters to PDF files and load them into the virtual space.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:43 PM   #156
seycyrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmandrekar View Post
Fantasy Grounds has a great GURPS ruleset with a lot of community support. Character sheets can be exported and imported into Fantasy Grounds directly from GCA.
seycyrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy grounds, roll20, virtual tabletop, vtt