Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-08-2019, 06:26 PM   #11
tomc

Default Re: Colorblind friendly Tollenkar Map?

One could replace the original colors with ones that are more color blind friendly.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:55 PM   #12
Chris Rice

There is a black and white 6 layer map in the middle pages of the old ITL book. Is this the same map as the one in Tollenkar or something different?
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:33 PM   #13
Allensh

A six-page map with a separate map for each level in black and white would be a decent PDF download, either for free or say $1, that would help those whom the color confuses.

Allen
Allensh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:04 PM   #14
HeatDeath

That format is an artifact of an era when hex grid paper, indeed photocopies of any kind, were difficult and expensive to get. The incentive is to use almost every hex on the sheet.

But yeah, completely unreadable. I have a vintage Tollenkar's Lair - which I got signed by Mr. Jackson at FnordCon, yay! - and my eyes bleed just thinking about that map. If it had been 6 highly distinctive shades of black/white/gray/pantone, it could have worked. But it's just different hash patterns, because that's all they could affordably print back then. And it's AWFUL.

If you're trying to replicate the precise form of maps created back then, yeah, do them in color the way they have. But I agree, the best approach for any new dungeon in that size range nowadays would be to just bite the bullet for the extra page count.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:51 PM   #15
RVA_Grandpa

A six-page B&W version would benefit a lot of people. Offering it as a PDF would shift the printing cost to the consumer. SJG would just need to factor in the art production cost when setting the price. I a sure there are more than a few of us who would purchase a PDF version.
We never really grow up; we only learn how to act in public.
RVA_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:00 PM   #16
Cat

I'm not colour-blind (though some gaming friends are); and I would still be delighted to get a 6-page map in a future KS, or a pdf!

Remembering the horror of working with the original map, shudder.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:17 PM   #17
BrianEye

I'd dig and benefit from a more traditional 6 page map (1 level per page) myself. My color deficiency makes reading that map problematic.

From some of the earlier comments, some folks might not be aware: you can't overcome color blindness by focusing better. If we can't see the color, we can't see or distinguish it.
BrianEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:41 PM   #18
krakajak

I'm not colorblind, but I immediately saw that map as a huge oversight (I work in videogames, and accessibility is a big focus of mine). I saw it during the kickstarter too and I didn't think to bring it up:/ If you have access to the pdfs, maybe you can do a grayscale print/image? Don't know how close those colors are when converted to grayscale though

With Steve Jackson Games permission, I would be happy to try to do a paint-bucket edit of the map in more colorblind friendly colors and post it.
krakajak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:44 PM   #19
Skarg

Someone who knows how to replace colors in a program such as Photoshop or GIMP (and who understands the map) could do a good job in an hour or two.

I just converted the top level to white hexes for level 1 and black for the rest, in a few minutes. It would take a few more minutes for each of the other levels to make the crossed-over hexes white too.

If SJG would give permission to share them, or make/share them themselves, it's not very hard at all using such tools.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:38 PM   #20
krakajak

I've got one ready to go now. If I get the go ahead, I'll post a link.
krakajak is offline   Reply With Quote