Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 03-04-2017, 03:12 PM   #1
Anders

Default Worlds you wouldn't play in

I would not want to play in an extremely dystopian world, particularly if there's no possibility of making things better. So, for instance, I wouldn't want to play in Nineteen-Eighty-Four or, for that matter, Dark Heresy.

What worlds wouldn't you want to play in?
Old 03-04-2017, 04:12 PM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: Worlds you wouldn't play in

Ravenloft.
Worm.
Any world where "you're screwed no matter what you do, and it's only a matter of time before you fall to become the villain" is one of the main conceits.

Basically, I don't like games where "you are supposed to lose".

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:19 PM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I'm pretty open to game worlds in general, and much prefer it when the GM is either willing to do some significant worldbuilding or using a well developed published setting as opposed to just improvising based on some vague tropes.

I can only think of two kinds of game worlds that are instant hard noes for me:
  1. Anything super incoherent and/or written by or as if by someone with schizophrenia.
  2. Anything based entirely or extensively on puns.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:28 PM   #4
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I can only think of two kinds of game worlds that are instant hard noes for me:
  1. Anything super incoherent and/or written by or as if by someone with schizophrenia.
  2. Anything based entirely or extensively on puns.
So, no FATAL Paranoia games? :)

To be fair, I second these; they're just generally not encountered in my usual group. The one guy I gamed with who loved Paranoia tried to get us into it, but when half of us tried to play it straight instead of embracing the puns and some of the other conceits he gave up.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 03-09-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:32 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
The one guy I gamed with who loved Paranoia tried to get us into it, but when half of us tried to play it straight instead of embracing the puns and some of the other conceits he gave up.
I love Paranoia, but I run it straight or classic or whatever style you want to call it, so puns aren't really what it is about. I was thinking more like later Xanth books.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:48 PM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Ravenloft.
Worm.
Any world where "you're screwed no matter what you do, and it's only a matter of time before you fall to become the villain" is one of the main conceits.

Basically, I don't like games where "you are supposed to lose".
Life is a no-winnable game. As long as it's stated up front that it's a "crapsack" world, I'm okay. But can see how many wouldn't want to struggle against the dying of the light, so to speak.

You can "win" in Ravenloft, but the demi-plane will kick you out like a virus of good.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:41 PM   #7
Irish Wolf

Paranoia is supposed to be a lighthearted take on a crapsack world. Unfortunately, some writers seem to confuse "lighthearted" with "blizzard of puns"; there is, for instance, no wordplay in the concept that R&D will send you out with equipment that is almost certainly defective so you can test it, and that the Computer will regard either refusal to test or a failed test as evidence of treason - but it's black comedy gold, as you either figure out a way to get someone else to use it or blame its failure on them (which, of course, is easier if they don't survive...)

More realistic dystopias, on the other hand, are not fun for me. I don't mind playing the protagonist in Fallout 4 (although I'd love to see a mod that lets me form the new Commonwealth Provisional Government), but I really don't want to play the protagonist in 1984 or THX-1138 where struggle against the existing order is both pointless and hopeless.

Also any campaign, in any setting, where the GMPC is overwhelmingly powerful and the PCs become meaningless in comparison. (I have a friend who loves to run D&D - but his setting always includes his former-wizard-turned-demigod who teleports PCs from place to place via Hell, even if they don't want his help, and the demigod's main ally, a 25th-level antipaladin with ultrapowerful magical swords. If the party runs into the least bit of trouble, one of them will 'port in, fix the issue trivially, sneer at the party because we're all powerless maggots in comparison, and leave. It gets discouraging.)

If you break the laws of God, you go to Hell.

If you break the laws of Physics, you go to Sweden and receive a Nobel Prize.
Irish Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:01 PM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

One problem I have with every dystopian / horror movie type world I've seen is that they make humans dumber and more self destructively selfish than in reality. We're pretty dumb and self destructive, so I find it just lazy to ramp it to 11 to explain the situation.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:34 AM   #9
David Johnston2

I don't want to play in "real" history. I don't want to be involved in any historical event where I know the outcome.

I don't want to be in a funny game. I'm not funny. I simply can't hold up my end in one.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:52 AM   #10
whswhs

My primary concern is that I won't play in any world that is intentionally absurdist or implausible, or that doesn't try to give me a sense of solid reality. For example, I took one look at Feng Shui and decided that I wouldn't play it for anything. I feel nearly as negative toward Castle Falkenstein.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote