Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-05-2011, 02:10 AM   #41
smurf
Banned

Default Re: Explaining the 1 second/turn rationale

It wouldn't take long to proxy them... it's not MtG.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:18 AM   #42
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post
It wouldn't take long to proxy them... it's not MtG.
If I print out the cards, I don't want to have to write out half again as many by hand. I'd rather just print out copy's of the mooks game aids.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:36 AM   #43
Lord Carnifex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
Say, that's a pretty good rule.
If you're particularly daring, drop the Per roll. Any character who doesn't understand what is happening spends a second finding out.

Beware that it can lead to arguments with some players, and the GM either needs a combat map, a decent diagram, or the ability to give fairly clear descriptions of what's going on. At the same time, it rewards players who either can pay close attention to what's going on, or who are willing to make fast decisions on limited information (the thematic goal). If the GM-player relationship is really good, the GM can get a little vague in his overall descriptions of the combat... driving home the idea that in many combat situations people can either understand what's going on, or they can act. Of course, to be fair, mooks should regularly have to stop and take stock once in a while, too.

You can also make PCs and NPCs roll Leadership when they give orders or make suggestions. If the roll is failed, the character receiving the orders has to take a second to figure out what "shoot the guy in the window!" or "behind the tree!" means.

I should also point out that this does sometimes slow combat down, as PCs start acting conservatively, crouch behind cover to take stock of situations and concoct plans. I find this realistic, but it's not for everybody.

"To an Irishman, a serious matter is a joke, and a joke is a serious matter."
Lord Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:08 AM   #44
kenclary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnifex View Post
I should also point out that this does sometimes slow combat down, as PCs start acting conservatively, crouch behind cover to take stock of situations and concoct plans. I find this realistic, but it's not for everybody.
There are similar Situational Awareness rules in Tactical Shooting.
kenclary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:02 PM   #45
RussellChamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnifex View Post
If the GM-player relationship is really good, the GM can get a little vague in his overall descriptions of the combat... driving home the idea that in many combat situations people can either understand what's going on, or they can act. Of course, to be fair, mooks should regularly have to stop and take stock once in a while, too.
This was what I was hoping for in our next campaign. We'll be using a lot of Gun Fu and I hope to make it a tad bit more tactical than "everybody runs in the room, guns blazing, kills everyone, and gets shot a bunch". Hopefully these rules will be able to change it up a bit. :)
RussellChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:27 PM   #46
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

This past Sunday, I ran a couple of scenarios for my group to explain the ranged combat system. This was important as for my IST game, I’d been going fast-and-loose with the combat rules, focusing more on moving the game and keeping Supers combat fluid than adhering to the letter of the rules. Our new game, which starts on Sunday (we're taking a break from IST for a bit) is a much more real-world game. So, for this Zombie-Jamboree scenario on Sunday, we were sticklers to all the rules. Even though I knew the rules, we made it a point to look up each rule the first time it came up, so everyone would have a frame of reference.

The first scenario, obviously, was slow going. But, everyone worked together, and tried some really bizarre stuff—just to learn how it worked. It took us about 2 hours to do six turns of combat. That would have been horrible, but it was the purpose of the scenario. The second scenario, took us 2 hours to do 30 turns of combat. We had to look up a couple of rules, but the player who was doing something strange, would look the rule up as the next player took their turn.

It was awesome. It was fun. And, it taught my GURPS newbies the combat system much more effectively than when they read the combat system. They now want me to put together something for the melee system, so they can get a handle on it.

The funniest part, sticking with the non-realism theme of the thread:
After the first grenade fragmentation damage hit to a character’s chest, every other fragmentation damage roll hit the target in the groin. There were about a dozen fragmentation damages . . . eleven of them hit in the groin.

“It’s a good thing Zombies don’t feel pain . . . I’d almost feel bad about that.”
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #47
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
The funniest part, sticking with the non-realism theme of the thread:
After the first grenade fragmentation damage hit to a character’s chest, every other fragmentation damage roll hit the target in the groin. There were about a dozen fragmentation damages . . . eleven of them hit in the groin.
It's probably a good idea to use at least the fix for this from Low-Tech even if you aren't using any other hit location from there, IMO.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
meta game, round, rounds, rules clarification, rules question