Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 04-09-2024, 12:05 PM   #11
hackbarth

Default Re: Recommendations for Newer Transhuman Space Inspiration

Planetes is about a crew of Vacuum Cleaners as they strive to do their blue collar jobs and stumble on old military sattelites, terrorist organizations and the harsh realities of life and work outside the Earth.

Memories , from Katsushiro Otomo also has a segment based on a crew of space workers that find a strange space habitat far in the asteroid belt; and a humorous segment depicting heavy use of fifth wave weaponry to stop a clueless office worker hosting a deadly bioweapon.
Old 04-09-2024, 12:11 PM   #12
Shostak

Alastair Reynolds wrote several novels set in his Revelations Space universe that feature numerous elements found in Transhuman Space. I think the most recent are two newer titles in his Prefect Dreyfuss Emergencies subseries and a fourth book in the Inhibitor main series, Inhibitor Phase.

Also, Luna: New Moon and Luna: Wolf Moon and Luna: Moon Rising by Ian McDonald depict rivalries between five families dominating lunar industry.

Artemis by Andy Weir is less like Transhuman Space, but its hard SF elements and plot set on a colonized Moon could be inspirational, regardless.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 09:25 PM   #13
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackbarth View Post
Planetes is about a crew of Vacuum Cleaners as they strive to do their blue collar jobs and stumble on old military sattelites, terrorist organizations and the harsh realities of life and work outside the Earth.
I remember David Pulver teling us about this one in one of the playtests or maybe even before that. The Corebook Bibliography is quite short on Anime but I'm sure it's in some other book's biblio.

I'd call it "Old Transhuman Space Inspirations" except this might be some newer version of an older work. The Japanese tend to do that on a generational basis.
Old 04-10-2024, 04:51 AM   #14
RogerBW

It's only mildly transhuman, but Space Sweepers (Korea, 2021) may also be worth a look.
RogerBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 12:52 PM   #15
doctorevilbrain

Are the space sweepers in that the same thing as the vacuum cleaners in Planetes? The link doesn't say.
doctorevilbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 03:24 PM   #16
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorevilbrain View Post
Are the space sweepers in that the same thing as the vacuum cleaners in Planetes? The link doesn't say.
Broadly, yes.
RogerBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 04:28 PM   #17
selenite

Daniel Suarez's Delta-V and Critical Mass, about freelance asteroid miners. Looks at changes in politics and economics, including an outer space specific cryptocurrency.

Devon Ericksen's Theft of Fire, which includes a couple of transhuman characters.

Travis Corcoran's Powers of the Earth and Causes of Separation. Lunar colonists fend off a conquest attempt from Earth, aided by an AI and uplifted dogs.

If you'll forgive the self promo, the short story "Samaritan" is about an Amish kid on a THS-like Moon. (Also available RSN in my collection Ultimate Conclusions, the Kickstarter just wrapped up.)
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 03:14 AM   #18
Astromancer

It seems too me that the technologies moving now are A.I., Quantum Computing, and robotics. This seems to me to move towards a world were the environment seems alive. The Fridge tells you that you need to eat those apples you bought soon, and asks if it should order more milk. Tiny insect-like robots eternally clean the house. Some children might become more attached to the family home than to their parents (read Bradbury's The Velt).

Getting away from robonanny might be a major live ambition.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 08:48 AM   #19
hackbarth

Freefall by Mark Stanley is a long-running webcomic about a Bioroid, a Robot and an Alien in a extrasolar world being terraformed. It's comedy, but has some interesting dicussions about IA, rights of non humans, terraforming, and some more transhumanist themes.
Old 04-12-2024, 08:52 AM   #20
hackbarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I remember David Pulver teling us about this one in one of the playtests or maybe even before that. The Corebook Bibliography is quite short on Anime but I'm sure it's in some other book's biblio.

I'd call it "Old Transhuman Space Inspirations" except this might be some newer version of an older work. The Japanese tend to do that on a generational basis.
I think it is a direct inspiration of the Vaccum Cleaners chapter of High Frontier, but it doesn't appear in any of the books bibliographies that I searched, so it's worth mentioning.