Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 04-28-2007, 08:55 PM   #1
beyondlimitation

Default Steed Confusion

Alright, I've got two questions as to the use of Steeds from Need for Steed. Also, I don't have the cards infront of me, so the names won't be accurate.

1) We were playing and someone drew the card where the lowest rolling player with a steed had to give it up to feed the party. I had the Tiger Steed, which says it has 9 lives and thus will return to my hand that makes anything kill it. We rolled and I was the lowest. Now, the card does not specifically say that it kills my steed, so there can be an argument for me lossing it. But the flavor of the card (feeding the party) implies that we killed it, so under that idea I keep it. Which is it?

2) One of my friends had the Wolf Steed, which remains loyal and can't be taken. His girlfriend played the card which allows her to take the steed without realizing that it was a waste of a card. So, my question is whether she could have played the card in the first place. If she can't, then it would just remain in her hand. If she can, then it's just ineffective and discarded.
beyondlimitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:11 AM   #2
MIB2826

Default Re: Steed Confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondlimitation
Alright, I've got two questions as to the use of Steeds from Need for Steed. Also, I don't have the cards infront of me, so the names won't be accurate.

1) We were playing and someone drew the card where the lowest rolling player with a steed had to give it up to feed the party. I had the Tiger Steed, which says it has 9 lives and thus will return to my hand that makes anything kill it. We rolled and I was the lowest. Now, the card does not specifically say that it kills my steed, so there can be an argument for me lossing it. But the flavor of the card (feeding the party) implies that we killed it, so under that idea I keep it. Which is it?

2) One of my friends had the Wolf Steed, which remains loyal and can't be taken. His girlfriend played the card which allows her to take the steed without realizing that it was a waste of a card. So, my question is whether she could have played the card in the first place. If she can't, then it would just remain in her hand. If she can, then it's just ineffective and discarded.

1) I'd say you get to keep the Tiger.
2) Hummm... Though one. I'd say you are allowed to play it.

Last edited by MIB2826; 04-29-2007 at 05:16 AM.
MIB2826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:17 AM   #3
beyondlimitation

Mating Call and no die roll was needed because only one person had a steed and it was the Wolf Steed. I know she won't get his steed, but just not entirely sure on if she should have been forced to discard the wasted card or put it back in her hand since it would have been a waste. My vote was on discarding, simply because I'm mean like that and she wasn't paying attention when she played it.
beyondlimitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:27 AM   #4
MunchkinMan

In the case of an illegal play, I usually say that since you can't do it, anything you did was invalid and all you did was show everyone your cards. I.e., if someone played or discarded a card (cards), they get it (them) back. In this particular case, I don't know that this was an "illegal" play (since it could affect multiple players), but more of a wasted play, no different than cursing someone at Level 1 to lose a level.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:27 AM   #5
Astartus

Depends on your playing group.

Some hardcore groups have a rule "Table eating cards". When you play a card and notice that it was useless, as there was no legal target, you may not take the card back onto your hand, but the card goes to the discard pile.

But as I already said, this depends on your group.
Astartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 03:26 AM   #6
Shade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
In the case of an illegal play, I usually say that since you can't do it, anything you did was invalid and all you did was show everyone your cards. I.e., if someone played or discarded a card (cards), they get it (them) back. In this particular case, I don't know that this was an "illegal" play (since it could affect multiple players), but more of a wasted play, no different than cursing someone at Level 1 to lose a level.
This was understandable to me, but the question arose - if I killed a tiger as a monster in the first phase, will it return to my hand, because an event has occurred that kills it? Or, in order to get back to me, did he have to be in my game until he died?
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 06:55 AM   #7
Brf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
if I killed a tiger as a monster in the first phase, will it return to my hand,
If you kill a steed as a monster, then it is not a steed and does not follow its steed rules, so the monster Tiger Steed is discarded after combat like any other monster.
Brf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 02:31 PM   #8
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantfeason View Post
I understood this, but I have a question: if I killed a tiger as a monster in the first phase, will it return to my hand because an event occurred that killed it? Or does it need to remain in my game until it dies to return to me?
If you defeated the tiger as a monster period, doesn't matter how it was done. If you was in combat against the tiger, it gets discarded and it does not return to you.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote