Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2017, 07:14 AM   #1
marvin
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Cydonia
Default Steampunk Mars/ Cold War crossover

I was think of doing a GURPS Dying Mars/Space 1889 crossover with something like Red Storm Rising.

So the gist is that...

Ancient Artifact somehow transfers every other inner planet, Vulcan, Venus, Mars from a steam punk setting to a more modern year during the late Cold War. For simplicity's sake lets say 1973 (last year of Vietnam and a year after the last Apollo mission).

So my questions are...

How long would it take Earth to notice the difference? I'd imagine that would occur rather quickly.

How quickly could we send a manned mission to each of these planets?

Assuming a slightly modified Space 1889 setting for the Steampunk worlds; how would the Europeans on these planets fare until the Earth nations re-establish contact?

(NOTES: No Ether in space though I would be open to a sudden advancement in nuclear plasma propulsion.)

Thank you very much.
Benjamin
marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:37 AM   #2
Fred Brackin
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Default Re: Steampunk Mars/ Cold War crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin View Post
I was think of doing a GURPS Dying Mars/Space 1889 crossover with something like Red Storm Rising.

So the gist is that...

Ancient Artifact somehow transfers every other inner planet, Vulcan, Venus, Mars from a steam punk setting to a more modern year during the late Cold War. For simplicity's sake lets say 1973 (last year of Vietnam and a year after the last Apollo mission).

So my questions are...

How long would it take Earth to notice the difference? I'd imagine that would occur rather quickly.

How quickly could we send a manned mission to each of these planets?
An amateur with even a small telescope could probably detect the difference the first time he looked. Even just the atmosphere would change how things looked. Real canals would be noticed as well as cities and so on. One day would be quite possible for Mars. If your Steampunk Venus is still cloud covered it'd be the last one to have its' change confirmed.

Spend as much money as you like but it'd be at least a decade before manned missions could go anywhere and they'd be small at first. Possibly for a significant period of time as well. Realistic space flight is just hard.

I'd give it 2 years for an unmanned flyby also. The Viking landings could probably happen as scheduled in 1976, maybe with altered instrument packages..
__________________
Fred Brackin
Fred Brackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:19 AM   #3
Anaraxes
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Default Re: Steampunk Mars/ Cold War crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
If your Steampunk Venus is still cloud covered it'd be the last one to have its' change confirmed.
Steampunk planetary romance Venus is presumably much cooler than the current one. That change in temperature would be easily noticeable. (Astronomers were debating how far down in the atmosphere of Venus they were measuring temperatures even back in the 1920s.)

The real variable there is whether anyone was bothering to look. But there are amateur astronomer groups that routinely observe Venus (and other planets) in the UV and IR as well as visible light. For the professionals, ESA's Venus Express is still in orbit and operational (I think; it was last summer), Japan has Atasuki in orbit (after some travails), and it would notice a change in the atmosphere, as that's its main object of study.

I'd also put a from-scratch flyby mission at a couple of years. It could be done faster if there were some obvious urgency. If it's just "hey, the inner planets seem different, lets' build a probe", it's just another space mission, even if it is the one on top of the list. Not just the probe but the rocket is essentially built to order. If, on the other hand, Earth is getting radio transmissions in English from Venus, things will move quicker. (Radio seems post-steampunk to me, but everyone has their own definition. And maybe you can think of another way they'd get attention.)
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:53 AM   #4
Fred Brackin
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Default Re: Steampunk Mars/ Cold War crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
But there are amateur astronomer groups that routinely observe Venus (and other planets) in the UV and IR as well as visible light. For the professionals, ESA's Venus Express is still in orbit and operational (I think; it was last summer), Japan has Atasuki in orbit (after some travails), and it would notice a change in the atmosphere, as that's its main object of study.
You seem to be thinking about _current_ activities in re Venus. I was working from the suggested change date of 1973. There was nothing orbiting Venus in 1973.

Well, nothing of ours anyway. A Steampunk Venus could have (and use) a moon. Something dark and small (but probably dense) to help stabilize things and reduce the solar tidal drag problem.
__________________
Fred Brackin
Fred Brackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:30 PM   #5
Anaraxes
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Default Re: Steampunk Mars/ Cold War crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
You seem to be thinking about _current_ activities in re Venus. I was working from the suggested change date of 1973.
Good point. I did miss that. Thanks for the correction.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:55 PM   #6
dcarson
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Default Re: Steampunk Mars/ Cold War crossover

According to Wikipedia there were three Saturn Vs built and not used, SA-513, SA-514 and SA-515. The two lower stages of 513 were used to launch Skylab. So if Skylab hasn't launched yet you have three usable Saturn Vs. I expect that the shutdown was recent enough that you can restart production fairly quickly so you could probably maintain a yearly or twice yearly launch rate.

So Skylab is launched and then added on to to serve as the basis of a orbital rendezvous base for the much larger then Apollo manned ship for a eventual Mars mission. At least 5-10 years to design that A large Mars orbiter is built and launched using a Saturn V to get a close look at the planet. That can probably be done in a year since you can afford to use heavier parts with a Saturn V as a launcher.

New Moon orbiters are launched to see if there has been some minor changes to the Moon and possibly a expanded Apollo program to put a base on the Moon since space is now much more important.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:56 AM   #7
RyanW
 
RyanW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Southeast NC
Default Re: Steampunk Mars/ Cold War crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
The real variable there is whether anyone was bothering to look.
If nothing else, Mariner 10 would be planned to flyby Venus in Feb, 1974. Possible if the change in Mars was noted and Venus was not the hardware could have been repurposed, I guess.
__________________
RyanW
- Actually one normal sized guy in three tiny trenchcoats.
RyanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:01 AM   #8
Fred Brackin
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Default Re: Steampunk Mars/ Cold War crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
If nothing else, Mariner 10 would be planned to flyby Venus in Feb, 1974. Possible if the change in Mars was noted and Venus was not the hardware could have been repurposed, I guess.
There's no real question about Mars. That's a nightly object for thousands of professionals, students and amateurs. I was looking at Mars through an 8 inch Celestron in my Astronomy lab class in 1977.

By contrast they never had us look at Venus. Not much to see with simple optical telescopes in our world.
__________________
Fred Brackin
Fred Brackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:33 PM   #9
RyanW
 
RyanW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Southeast NC
Default Re: Steampunk Mars/ Cold War crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
By contrast they never had us look at Venus. Not much to see with simple optical telescopes in our world.
I thought Venus was a pretty common spotting target. Perhaps not at the astronomy "class" level, but at least the astronomy "club" level. Assuming it is in the night sky, it is the brightest thing aside from the moon, so it is easy to find and see even before dark sets in fully. The perfect thing to get the newcomers to a stargazing outing used to the equipment early in the evening.
__________________
RyanW
- Actually one normal sized guy in three tiny trenchcoats.
RyanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:38 PM   #10
marvin
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Cydonia
Default Re: Steampunk Mars/ Cold War crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Spend as much money as you like but it'd be at least a decade before manned missions could go anywhere and they'd be small at first. Possibly for a significant period of time as well. Realistic space flight is just hard.

I'd give it 2 years for an unmanned flyby also. The Viking landings could probably happen as scheduled in 1976, maybe with altered instrument packages..
I think with the Atlas V still in production and a revived NERVA we might be able to get to Mars in less than 5 years.
marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
crossover, mars, spaceships, steampunk

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.