Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-16-2014, 03:37 PM   #51
LemmingLord

Default Re: Spraying Mace...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Games – with their variable wounding effects rolled on dice – are better models of reality than flat-effect models.
Maybe for wounding trauma. I'm not sold on your references applying to being zapped with electricity. But if it is a crap shoot, and if the same person will be affected differently if a taser is used on them on different occasions, there's nothing suggesting this is based on some quality of physical health. At least nothing I've seen thus far.

Is there any evidence to support that someone who runs marathons, pro basketball players or other individuals who, in gurps terms, would get a "bonus to any HT roll," are less likely to be affected by tasers? I doubt it.
LemmingLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:47 PM   #52
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmingLord View Post
Maybe for wounding trauma. I'm not sold on your references applying to being zapped with electricity. But if it is a crap shoot, and if the same person will be affected differently if a taser is used on them on different occasions, there's nothing suggesting this is based on some quality of physical health. At least nothing I've seen thus far.

Is there any evidence to support that someone who runs marathons, pro basketball players or other individuals who, in gurps terms, would get a "bonus to any HT roll," are less likely to be affected by tasers? I doubt it.
HT is like IQ in that few people have all around high abilities. Most of us are "granular" with many positive and negative traits almost irrespective of each other.

Resistance to electricity is its own feature. I used to jam forks and hangers into outlets just for the feeling and sparks as a small child. I only burned my hands once or twice.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:51 PM   #53
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
However, it seems like a special case - the same tactic can be used with pistols at point-blank range (essentially pressing the gun into the target before pulling the trigger).
I treat that as a Telegraphic melee attack with the pistol. I'm not sure if this is explicit in the rules anywhere. At that range the rules definitely allow you to defend against the pistol as a melee weapon!
Quote:
certainly wouldn't allow a flamethrower or fire-breathing dragon to make a Telegraphic Jet attack at 10 yards.
I'm not sure why not. Jets can be blocked or dodged. If the dragon does that big breath thing, or the flamethrower guy sloooowly walks the jet up to you, you probably ought to get a bonus to defend.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:19 PM   #54
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I treat that as a Telegraphic melee attack with the pistol. I'm not sure if this is explicit in the rules anywhere. At that range the rules definitely allow you to defend against the pistol as a melee weapon!
Tactical Shooting, IIRC. Handheld ranged weapons become mêlée-equivalent for the purpose of Parrying, Telegraphic Attacks and All-Out Attacks - IIRC longarms at Reach 1 and sidearms at Reach C, but I might be mistaken.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:25 PM   #55
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Tactical Shooting, IIRC. Handheld ranged weapons become mêlée-equivalent for the purpose of Parrying, Telegraphic Attacks and All-Out Attacks - IIRC longarms at Reach 1 and sidearms at Reach C, but I might be mistaken.
Yeah, I remember discussing this in the playtest, and I thought, but wasn't sure that it made it into print. Tactical Shooting p. 25 Close-Contact Shots has the rule, but doesn't explicitly use the word "Telegraphic" just the game mechanics.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mace, modern, tear gas