Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 02-01-2023, 08:07 AM   #391
TGLS

Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Its a little cubby-hole in a passage. So people walk by the nook every 5 minutes to an hour, depending on the time of day.
Yeah that's too often. I'll wait until the hole is bigger.

Quote:
(I didn't charge you for the chalk... but I can see one small piece being provided complementary with the vasic stone)
Well I guess that's the next thing on the list. I wonder if they sell chalk monopolies to raise funds

--

I eat the overcooked rice and write another diary entry. Then I guess it's time to sleep
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 10:18 AM   #392
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Julian sleeps, dreaming of Reslin and Togar camping around a fire, scowling at each other in silence.

Brog is there in the morning.

"We need a better place to hide your stuff. Especially if you have a vasic stone. I'll help you register your stone with the Kapatas."

The Kapatas is scowling at Julian and teaching him a new word that he thinks translates to "reliability" when two soldiers come into the mine looking for Julian: "We need his eyes."

To Julian: "The Shuzu thinks we caught Tarbreth. We need you to confirm it, and possibly to help break him. You'll be rewarded for your time."

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 12:00 PM   #393
TGLS

Quote:
Julian sleeps, dreaming of Reslin and Togar camping around a fire, scowling at each other in silence.
I guess they lost their Vasic? Or maybe they figure the centipede doesn't like fire?

Quote:
Brog is there in the morning.

"We need a better place to hide your stuff."
"Your place?", I suggest
Quote:
"Especially if you have a vasic stone. I'll help you register your stone with the Kapatas."
"Register? What does that mean? Will I have to pay a fine if I don't register it?"
Quote:
The Kapatas is scowling at Julian and teaching him a new word that he thinks translates to "reliability"
This feels pretty familiar despite not understanding about half of what he saying. I always end up screwing up and ruining good things. Anything I say will probably sound like excuses, so maybe I could try explaining after the shift.
Quote:
when two soldiers come into the mine looking for Julian: "We need his eyes."

To Julian: "The Shuzu thinks we caught Tarbreth. We need you to confirm it, and possibly to help break him. You'll be rewarded for your time."
I say to the Kapatas, "I'm very sorry, it looks like I won't have [reliability] again today."

Surely the Kapatas isn't the kind of guy to argue with soldiers. Once we get underway, I'll ask about the soldiers who were following me around yesterday.
Old 02-03-2023, 09:52 AM   #394
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I guess they lost their Vasic? Or maybe they figure the centipede doesn't like fire?
Who knows?

Quote:
"Your place?", I suggest
Brog: "I suppose I could do that..."

Quote:
"Register? What does that mean? Will I have to pay a fine if I don't register it?"
Brog: "No, so they know you get to keep your stone and take it home. They check us for stones when we leave right? But you show them your stone when you come, and you can leave with it too."

Quote:
I say to the Kapatas, "I'm very sorry, it looks like I won't have [reliability] again today."

Surely the Kapatas isn't the kind of guy to argue with soldiers. Once we get underway, I'll ask about the soldiers who were following me around yesterday.
He isn't the type to argue with soldiers, but he still has one more thing to say:

"If you want pay, you need to work!"

"I don't know anything about following you" the soldier says. "You can ask Shuzu Lorek".

When he gets to Lorek's building, he is lead into a room with Shuzu Lorek and Tarbreth. Tarbreth is chained to a chair.

Tarbreth: "I don't know this kid! I've never touched him! he's just trying to rip you off!"

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 02-03-2023, 10:49 AM   #395
TGLS

Quote:
Who knows?
Probably Reslin or Togar, not that Julian expects an answer
Quote:
Brog: "I suppose I could do that..."
"Sounds good to me."
Quote:
Brog: "No, so they know you get to keep your stone and take it home. They check us for stones when we leave right? But you show them your stone when you come, and you can leave with it too."
"Oh, so it would be OK to swap a darkened stone for a lit one in the tunnels?"
Quote:
He isn't the type to argue with soldiers, but he still has one more thing to say:

"If you want pay, you need to work!"
I nod in agreement. Seems like a firm but fair kinda guy.
Quote:
"I don't know anything about following you" the soldier says. "You can ask Shuzu Lorek".
I'll wait until after the interrogation to ask him about that.

Quote:
When he gets to Lorek's building, he is lead into a room with Shuzu Lorek and Tarbreth. Tarbreth is chained to a chair.

Tarbreth: "I don't know this kid! I've never touched him! he's just trying to rip you off!"
"I suppose playing dumb comes naturally to someone as stupid as you, Tarbreth"

I guess whatever Julian rolls is complementary to Lorek's Interrogation roll?

"I mean, I'm only starting out spying on people, but this was just pathetic. Getting a good look at you and the bearded man, finding and destroying your cache of spears... Too easy."

"And getting you to capture me... Did you think I went along with you because I was afraid? Of you?" I steady my hand before it betrays my false confidence, "Don't make me laugh. It was all part of the plan. Make you give up more of your operation, get a couple of your men killed... All for nothing in the end."

"At this point, I suppose you could keep your mouth shut, and face some nasty fate... Or you could try to cut a deal and save your skin. Up to you."

I went with Fast-Talk; Julian's just stitching facts together after all. If Acting would work instead that'd basically be a +1 to the skill. It's a pretty clear success, so I guess it doesn't matter.
Quote:
[125] 23-02-04 21:56:07 CET
Fast-Talk
3d6 <= 12
1 + 3 + 4 = 8 ... success

Last edited by TGLS; 02-04-2023 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-06-2023, 10:31 AM   #396
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
"Sounds good to me."
"I can do that."

Quote:
"Oh, so it would be OK to swap a darkened stone for a lit one in the tunnels?"
"If no-one notices you, yes. Some people do that when their stones are chipped. Its against the rules, but they can't stop you unless someone sees you do it."

Quote:
"I suppose playing dumb comes naturally to someone as stupid as you, Tarbreth"
"My name is Kilan".

Quote:
I guess whatever Julian rolls is complementary to Lorek's Interrogation roll?
If that's the way you want to play it.

Quote:
"I mean, I'm only starting out spying on people, but this was just pathetic. Getting a good look at you and the bearded man, finding and destroying your cache of spears... Too easy."
"An easy story to tell. You have the wrong man. He's tricking you! I bet he's one of them."

Quote:
"Don't make me laugh. It was all part of the plan. Make you give up more of your operation, get a couple of your men killed... All for nothing in the end."
He hesitates, for just a moment, and then says "He's lying for your money."

Lorek: "Oh, you wanted to know about your men, didn't you? You still don't know how the kid got back. I'm going to take that as confirmation. We'll get the truth out of you eventually. And we'll find the rest of your men."

Lorek to a guard: "Go get him his money. We've confirmed what we need. And get me some heat vasic stones."

As Julian leaves, Tarbreth glowers at him.

Old 02-06-2023, 11:05 AM   #397
TGLS

Quote:
"I can do that."
Well let's do that.
Quote:
"If no-one notices you, yes. Some people do that when their stones are chipped. Its against the rules, but they can't stop you unless someone sees you do it."
"Damage to the stone would be a problem, wouldn't it..."

Quote:
He hesitates, for just a moment, and then says "He's lying for your money."

Lorek: "Oh, you wanted to know about your men, didn't you? You still don't know how the kid got back. I'm going to take that as confirmation. We'll get the truth out of you eventually. And we'll find the rest of your men."
I breathe slightly easier; hopefully without Tarbreth the rest of the soldiers are headless chickens.
Quote:
Lorek to a guard: "Go get him his money. We've confirmed what we need. And get me some heat vasic stones."
I rather not stay to watch Lorek torch Tarbreth, but I stay around to ask: "After I left yesterday, a few guards followed me back. Would you know anything about that?"
Quote:
As Julian leaves, Tarbreth glowers at him.
Well let's collect my money and get out of there before they start burning Tarbreth. Then maybe I can get back to the mine and offer to work (half?) a shift free to smooth things over with the Kapatas.

--

I worry about being followed on my walk back; the guys guarding Bumundo aren't really any better than the ones who wanted to take it, are they... If they know figure out about me, then I'm finished...
Old 02-07-2023, 08:37 AM   #398
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
"Damage to the stone would be a problem, wouldn't it..."
"Yeah, they break after a while".

Quote:
I rather not stay to watch Lorek torch Tarbreth, but I stay around to ask: "After I left yesterday, a few guards followed me back. Would you know anything about that?"
"ask the man giving you the money." He glances at Tarbreth.

Quote:
Well let's collect my money and get out of there before they start burning Tarbreth. Then maybe I can get back to the mine and offer to work (half?) a shift free to smooth things over with the Kapatas.
Julian gets 200L in payment.

The man giving the money explains the following: "We want to verify your story, of course. The obvious out for anyone you tell us about is for them to claim that you are lying or up to some other plot."

Old 02-07-2023, 09:25 AM   #399
TGLS

Quote:
"Yeah, they break after a while".
I glance at my hand. I wonder if I'll break after a while. Well, before I die.
Quote:
"ask the man giving you the money." He glances at Tarbreth.

The man giving the money explains the following: "We want to verify your story, of course. The obvious out for anyone you tell us about is for them to claim that you are lying or up to some other plot."
"I see."

I wonder if the guards reported a problem.

Quote:
Julian gets 200L in payment.
Well this is an awful lot of money. "Is there somewhere I can store this?" I try to communicate the idea of a bank.

If there isn't or not for this much money, then I guess I'll spend the rest of the day looking for somewhere to hide all this money like I'm a pirate or something.
Old 02-08-2023, 09:17 AM   #400
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
If there isn't or not for this much money, then I guess I'll spend the rest of the day looking for somewhere to hide all this money like I'm a pirate or something.

The obvious place is somewhere in the vegetation outside of town: the question is how far out of town? or is it best hidden inside of his little cubbyhole?

Tags
lost in dreams