Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-07-2014, 03:12 AM   #1
Dangerious P. Cats

Default Alternative tech level 8 settings

Has anyone ever made up a setting and culture that was tech level 7 or 8 (essentially modern technology) as often happens with lower tech levels? What was the setting like and how much detail did you go into with technological differences?
Old 01-07-2014, 04:24 AM   #2
Ashtagon

Default Re: Alternative tech level 8 settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerious P. Cats View Post
Has anyone ever made up a setting and culture that was tech level 7 or 8 (essentially modern technology) as often happens with lower tech levels? What was the setting like and how much detail did you go into with technological differences?
Sounds like my Diesel setting. It's essentially TL7, but with reduced computer tech (TL6 electronics), reduced biotech (no biowarfare tech), and reduced atomic tech (absent).

There's a few alternates to it; the key conceit across the Diesel timeline group is a total absence of working nuclear technology. In some cases, due to lack of innovation, in others, due to physical laws. My key goals were a mix of Dieselpunk/Decopunk aesthetic, and a "shiny not grimy" worldview.
Ashtagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:55 AM   #3
DangerousThing

My game is a space opera with a TL 6+2. It's set in a Dyson sphere (lots of large satellites connected via teleportals). Several groups of humans were sent to colonize and study the structure about 100 years before a galaxy-wide destructive event called the Shattering. It killed 90% of sapient beings and most advanced technology and information.

The Phoenix Confederation is a part of Civilization, and their enemies (or at least their governments) are Evil.

The +2 includes both magic and high tech developed by the few people who can vaguely understand the alien tech.

The game is set approximately 400 years after the Shattering. In some of the human habitats people have forgotten that they are living inside a giant artifact, since there is no view of the outside.

Much of the game is planned to be a combination of trade explorations, espionage, and some outright fighting.

The major forms of long range transportation in the Confederation are airships.

As is normal in a space opera game, the heroes are much larger than life, and the villains are EVIL (the Mi-Go and a few factions of the Star Spawn of Cthulhu come to mind).
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:43 AM   #4
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

well I have a setting called Pharaoh....

I don't know whether or not it should be considered tl 8 but it certainly is in the range: the basic idea is that the good kings of ancient times are still around. The most work has gone into their class system and their tech divergences: almost every field is actually closer to 7 or 9 than 8. The people live poorly and the wealth of the world is poured into mega-structures.

Of course, tech divergences are a core part of the setting.

I have another world where the differences are primarily religious and political, and I havent looked at tech divergences yet.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternate world version, alternative world, modern, tech level 8, tl8