Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-27-2020, 11:25 AM   #1
Sorenant

Default [LT][MA] Sticks: Staff vs Two-Handed Sword Skill

Styles like Jojutsu and modern Taihojutsu blends the use of sticks in Staff and Two-Handed Sword stances, apparently the former to better defend and the latter to increase reach and impact. However in GURPS using sticks with Two-Handed Skill has no meaningful benefit for those that knows Staff skill.
Am I missing something? If not, do you have some houserule to fix it?

If I were to try fixing it, I'd reduce the damage dealt with Staff skill by 1: Jo would deal sw+0/thr+0 damage, and Quarterstaff would deal sw+1/thr+1 damage.
I would reduce Reach too, like Quarterstaff having only Reach 1 with Staff skill, increasing to 1,2 with Two-Handed Sword. However, I don't know what to do with Jo, it has Reach 1 with both skills and reducing it to C with Staff seems inappropriate and giving Reach 1,2 with Two-Handed Sword seems too much.
Long Staff is an odd one that officially can only be used with Staff skill but it seems reasonable to allow use with Spear skill, just like Spears can be used with Staff without the book being explicit about it. Its reach might make use with Two-Handed Sword skill awkward, though it's lightweight enough for the argument in contrary being reasonable.
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:49 PM   #2
Plane

Default Re: [LT][MA] Sticks: Staff vs Two-Handed Sword Skill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorenant View Post
I'd reduce the damage dealt with Staff skill by 1
Would that stack with the -1 to damage from staffs that lack ferrules? Page 14 of Low-Tech Companion 1.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:58 PM   #3
Sorenant

Default Re: [LT][MA] Sticks: Staff vs Two-Handed Sword Skill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Would that stack with the -1 to damage from staffs that lack ferrules? Page 14 of Low-Tech Companion 1.
I think you meant LTC2. Anyway, I'd say it stacks: Jo without end caps would weight only 1 lb, same as a Large Knife dealing sw-2 cut damage with one hand, so swinging a light weight stick with not a lot of leverage with both hands dealing sw-1 cr damage makes sense to me.
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
low-tech, quarterstaff