Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-17-2023, 09:55 PM   #1
Paolingau

Default Character build for Larper/Cosplayer

I'm thinking of making a characrer who is a professional Cosplayer and really into Larping, what Skill Advantage, Perk, Quirk, and Disadvantage would she have?
Paolingau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 10:59 PM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Character build for Larper/Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolingau View Post
I'm thinking of making a characrer who is a professional Cosplayer and really into Larping, what Skill Advantage, Perk, Quirk, and Disadvantage would she have?
Cosplay would probably be a Specialization of Performance with prep Skills being Artist: Costume Design and Makeup.

Nothing else would be mandatory that I can think of.
Old 11-18-2023, 12:30 AM   #3
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Cosplay would probably be a Specialization of Performance with prep Skills being Artist: Costume Design and Makeup.

Nothing else would be mandatory that I can think of.
I'd probably add Acting for a professional that really gets into the role. Hobby Skill (Larping) for nuances and knowing about the regular events and activities.
Current Affairs (Cosplay) for knowing what events were going on and who the better known people were.
Its not a cheap hobby, especially at a professional level so some level of Wealth would be good. Sewing to help make some of your own costumes.
Scrounging fits a lot of them too, especially lower income who can use odd things to help with costume making.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 03:18 AM   #4
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Scrounging fits a lot of them too, especially lower income who can use odd things to help with costume making.
As well as costumes, LARD runners need props. Really very assorted props.

"'LARP reasons' covers everything short of actual body parts."
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 10:22 AM   #5
RGTraynor

Having been a longtime LARPer and SCAdian, I would have to say that Delusion ("I Know All About Low Tech Life And Could Survive Just Fine")/Overconfidence would be a common element of the build. The average SCA member, in particular, seriously overestimates their grasp of such things.

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.
RGTraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 11:06 AM   #6
Dalillama

Almost any kind of craft skill is appropriate
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 12:42 PM   #7
Varyon

LARPers who are really into the combat side of things may have Combat Art in the weapons they typically use, but note they likely won't have Familiarity with actual weapons (LARP boffer weapons have a lower weight and different weight distribution than real ones, and particularly for blades don't care about edge alignment while real ones absolutely do), meaning they'd be at -5 (-3 for defaulting from Combat Art, -2 or worse for lack of Familiarity) at best to actually fight. Ones who do something more like SCA would instead have Combat Sport and are more likely to have Familiarity (a lot of the weapons used for such are designed to have fairly similar weight and weight distribution to real weapons; edge alignment is probably still an issue, so things like swords may still suffer a Familiarity penalty*). Expect a lot of Telegraphic and/or All Out Attacks.

*Roughly speaking, I could see Familiarity being divided up into Use Method, Grip Style, Weight Distribution (actual Weight I think would be less of an issue, but I may be mistaken), and Edge Alignment, for -2 for each you lack Familiarity with. Use Method and Grip Style, both LARPers and SCA folk would probably be fine for Familiarity on. Weight Distribution would be a problem for LARPers but not one for SCA. Edge Alignment, when applicable, would be problematic for both. So, a LARPer would be at -5 to Combat Art to fight with a blunt weapon, a thrusting weapon, or a sharp swinging weapon with easy edge alignment (like an axe), -7 to swing swords and the like. Someone with SCA experience would be at -3 to fight with the first general class, -5 with the second. Considering neither is likely to have their starting skill above DX+2 (12 for someone with typical DX of 10, and at a cost of [8] for most weapons, which call for DX/A skills), the LARPer is only a bit better off than working from the DX default for most weapons (DX-3 instead of DX-5) and is no better than using the DX default for swords (DX-5 either way), while the SCA fellow is comparable to someone who has tossed [1] in a skill (DX-1) for most weapons, and is a dabbler with swords (DX-3).
Old 11-18-2023, 03:07 PM   #8
Pursuivant

At least one of: Computer Operations/TL8, Computer Programming/TL8, Engineering/TL8, Hobby (Science Fiction and/or Fantasy Literature or Media or SF Fantasy Franchise Trivia).

Stage Combat would be a useful skill for LARPers or cosplayers who use weapons for dramatic rather than sporting purposes.

Performance for Cosplayers/LARPers who roleplay.

History, often specialized in some aspect of technical geekery, is very common.

Dabbler perk for various craft skills. Actual trained skill is rarer.

Hardcore historical reenactors might have lower TL versions of skills such as Housekeeping, Cooking or certain specializations of Armoury, Artist, Smith, etc. skills.

OPH for the real nerds who take the roleplaying or historical authenticity shtick too far.

Quirk-level delusions are common (e.g., "It would be cool to visit 14th century Europe/11th century Scandinavia/15th century Italy."*). Dangerous delusions are rarer (e.g., "I could hold my own in a medieval tournament." or "High school Latin and modern Catholic catechism training will allow me to convincingly pass myself off as a medieval priest." or "Given 20 lbs. of pepper and modern business skills, I could become a medieval merchant prince.")

Spoiler:  

Last edited by Pursuivant; 11-18-2023 at 03:14 PM.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 03:42 PM   #9
pawsplay

Depending on what you mean by LARP, Broadsword Sport and Shield Sport. Amtgard, Dagorhir and the like use weapons similar in size, shape, and weight to real weapons, albeit padded. SCA uses rattan and such, so many do have a good Broadsword sport, and maybe even a point in an Art or Combat default. For large-scale Euro LARPs, a little Stage Combat might predominate. For your little IFGS and NERO thingies, maybe a little Sport (boff larp)... maybe.... but a lot of players don't even have that, just Game (boff larp) and the courage of their convictions, plus an OP character sheet.

I've also met a few SCA and Amtgard players with previous military or martial arts experience, who defaulted their combat sports FROM those skills. Lots of Escrima guys, some fairly proficient, although this didn't always translate into tremendous game skill. Amtgard doens't allow head shots, and SCA has some pretty strict rules about facing and hand-to-hand engagement.

I've met a number a number of players with Bow. I don't think you would even call that a Sport or Art skill, since targeteering is basically the same whether you are going for the kill or not. Most have familiarity with both real archery and with the dummy arrows you use in LARPS. I've met a couple who were arch shots IRL, and even knew some pretty interesting (if nonetheless rarely practical) techniques like shooting two arrows.

Sewing is a given. Even a lot of fairly lackadaisical participants can sew a durable tunic. I've known plenty of people with Brewing, many with an optional specialization in mead.

Acting. Sadly, not always to give a good performance, but in many cases, to lie to other members of their community. Politics. Oratory... I've met plenty of people who could hold the attention of a crowd of 100, even for business stuff.

Expertise (specific fandom): Vampire, Pokemon, Doctor Who, Middle-earth, etc. Also more than a few have several points in Game (Magic: The Gathering) on the side. Some have some printing skills that could be used for legitimate or, uh, illegitimate purposes.

Some belong to esoteric religious and magickal traditions, with varying levels of seriousness. Tarot is a common knack.

If I were going to make a LARPer who was transported to a fantasy world, I'd probably base them on someone who was a former boy or girl scout, who can sew, and has fencing or martial arts experience aside from LARPing, and maybe some Stage Combat and videography skill. Ideally, they'd have a useful Talent, if not Magery, or whatever is going to happen in the game.
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 05:41 PM   #10
RGTraynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
Amtgard doens't allow head shots, and SCA has some pretty strict rules about facing and hand-to-hand engagement.
Yeah, this ties into my reservations about giving LARPers/cosplayers real weapon skills. As Pawsplay alludes, these outfits work with stylized combat systems that favor particular sets of rules, and the better a fighter you are in them, the more rooted you are in practices that would serve you poorly in a real fight. My own experience was heavily in cutlass fighting, and our LARP's practice was heavily into slashing rather than thrusting, which was a lot harder to control in terms of blow strength and more likely to injure other players. This is, of course, the polar opposite of best practices in genuine swordfighting.

The other thing with that ... hrm. I was asked sometimes why I seemed fearless on the field. My answer was that I was never at genuine risk: what was the worst that could happen? Someone would stick me in the middle with a boff weapon, I'd be "dead," and I had to lie down until someone "raised" me? It almost certainly skewed my fighting style to offense, and that's the sort of thing that would get me killed in a real sword fight.

Actually, there's a question that hasn't been answered by the OP: exactly what kind of milieu are we looking at? A LARPer popped into a fantasy world? Or a character in a modern setting who just happens to cosplay as a hobby? Certainly if the latter, there's no need for an intricate build based around being one, and there may not even be any Professional skills pertaining to it. Nor does it mandate that a character be adventuring-worthy: my wife, who's out LARPing right now, is 45 years old, in mediocre health, and her sword-swinging days are a couple decades in the rear view mirror.

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.

Last edited by RGTraynor; 11-18-2023 at 05:47 PM.
RGTraynor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acting, lying, misleading, performance