Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2023, 02:52 PM   #11
Keyboardstalker
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Default Re: NFM character using guns mounted to their body

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
It's a fixed mount, B467, and can only shoot in one direction (presumably front).

It should be a new speciality of Guns for small arms.
Could this be expressed in game as them only being able to fire in a 60 degree arc like if they took the tunnel vision disadvantage?
Keyboardstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 03:02 PM   #12
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: NFM character using guns mounted to their body

I would just use Extra Arms (Weapon Mount -80%) [2]
__________________
My GURPS site and Blog.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 06:40 PM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: NFM character using guns mounted to their body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyboardstalker View Post
Could this be expressed in game as them only being able to fire in a 60 degree arc like if they took the tunnel vision disadvantage?
Like it's a fixed weapon mount. I don't think Tunmel Vision is relevant (unless using the Harsh Realism rule and a scope)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I would just use Extra Arms (Weapon Mount -80%) [2]
This seems like equipment, not an ability. As an ability it would be payload (see Changing Times for examples of weapons bays as payload) not Weapon Mount, because it's nit articulated.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 08:08 PM   #14
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: NFM character using guns mounted to their body

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
This seems like equipment, not an ability.
The ability is being able to use the gear with NFM. Guns do not normally come with any hands-free operation mode, and thus the result of trying to use a mounted gun is "you fail".
__________________
My GURPS site and Blog.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 09:15 PM   #15
Varyon
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default Re: NFM character using guns mounted to their body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The ability is being able to use the gear with NFM. Guns do not normally come with any hands-free operation mode, and thus the result of trying to use a mounted gun is "you fail".
I believe Weapon Mount allows you to use the weapon that is attached to the Mount without needing to operate it with another hand - a good example would be a shoulder cannon, which is able to be operated independently of the character's other limbs. The suggested harness would basically be gear that grants the character something akin to a Weapon Mount, just like an AR-15 grants a character something akin to an Innate Attack. The only reason they'd need to buy it as an Advantage is if it's a Gadget, but OP implies these are things that are simply generally-available for purchase, so it's just gear.
__________________
GURPS Overhaul
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 09:38 PM   #16
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: NFM character using guns mounted to their body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I believe Weapon Mount allows you to use the weapon that is attached to the Mount without needing to operate it with another hand.
It does, at least for a one handed weapon (you might need two for a two handed weapon) -- a weapon mount is basically 'one arm, only usable to wield a weapon'. My point is that if you don't take weapon mount and you don't have hands, you can't use the weapon at all.
__________________
My GURPS site and Blog.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 12:51 AM   #17
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: NFM character using guns mounted to their body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The ability is being able to use the gear with NFM. Guns do not normally come with any hands-free operation mode, and thus the result of trying to use a mounted gun is "you fail".
String doesn't come with a hands free mode, yet somehow it gets all over the place here.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 08:25 AM   #18
Varyon
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default Re: NFM character using guns mounted to their body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
It does, at least for a one handed weapon (you might need two for a two handed weapon) -- a weapon mount is basically 'one arm, only usable to wield a weapon'. My point is that if you don't take weapon mount and you don't have hands, you can't use the weapon at all.
Are you stating the characters would have to purchase the Weapon Mount Advantage (well, Extra Arm (Weapon Mount), anyway) in order to make use of the harness that is meant to basically give them that trait? That's about as legitimate as requiring someone to purchase the Neural Jack (UT217) to be able to use a Neural Interface Helmet (UT49, or Neural Induction Helmet from the same page in a superscience setting), despite the fact that the entire point of the helmet is to give the character the benefits of a Neural Jack without needing an implant. Also, a character with a Weapon Mount wouldn't even need a weapon harness, they can just have the weapon plugged directly into their Weapon Mount.

I could potentially see an argument that the existence of the harness should be some sort of Mitigator for No Fine Manipulators. However, that trait is No Fine Manipulators, not No Manipulators (that's a further level), so being able to do some rough manipulation - like biting down on a custom trigger to activate it - should be well within the abilities of someone with NFM.
__________________
GURPS Overhaul
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 01:49 PM   #19
Keyboardstalker
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Default Re: NFM character using guns mounted to their body

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Like it's a fixed weapon mount. I don't think Tunmel Vision is relevant (unless using the Harsh Realism rule and a scope)
How does a fixed weapon mount work exactly? Because on p.B467 it says it can only fire in one direction. Considering there’s only 6 directions you can face on a hex grid, and 360 / 6 = 60, is it reasonable to assume that each direction would cover a 60 degree arc?

I’m not saying it would give them tunnel vision, they’d still be able to see beyond the cone, but to shoot past that 60 degree arc would require them to change their facing as though they did have it. Guess it’s my bad for bringing up tunnel vision and confusing things.

Last edited by Keyboardstalker; 08-25-2023 at 01:53 PM.
Keyboardstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 05:05 PM   #20
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: NFM character using guns mounted to their body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyboardstalker View Post
How does a fixed weapon mount work exactly? Because on p.B467 it says it can only fire in one direction. Considering there’s only 6 directions you can face on a hex grid, and 360 / 6 = 60, is it reasonable to assume that each direction would cover a 60 degree arc?
See B385 and B392. Front mounted weapons csn shoot into any of the "front" hexsides (and front DR protects against attacks through any of those hexsides), etc.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
campaign design, guns, no fine manipulators

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.