Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-06-2020, 05:26 PM   #1
Shostak

Default GURPS Actual-Plays

Actual-play podcasts and Youtube videos are growing in popularity and essentially make RPGs a sort of performance art form. This use of media offers a way for tech-savvy GURPS devotees to show off just how great the game is. Sadly, the Corpses & Curios podcast has moved from GURPS to another system. This leaves The Film Re-roll as the only regular one left that I am aware of. Does anyone know of others with good quality audio and roleplaying, which sometimes take the opportunity to educate the audience about the application of a particular mechanic, and have a minimum of side chatter and no-longer-funny Monty Python references? Having more such podcasts out there can only help GURPS's image among gamers.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:00 AM   #2
Gollum

Default Re: GURPS Actual-Plays

GURPS Sharknado is an interesting one, in my humble opinion. Of course, it is not at all a serious game, but a very funny one, almost a parody. It shows how GURPS can be a very simple game, though.

https://youtu.be/YmDc0zVN9z4
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:26 PM   #3
trooper6

I'm gearing up to do a French Resistance campaign that I've wanted to do for decades. I originally wanted to do it in GURPS, but I'm going to end up doing it in FATE...for a couple of reasons, but one is that there is no official GURPS Roll20 support and I want a much simpler character sheet than the one that is up there now. And I'm not willing to use Fantasy Grounds.

Maybe one day GURPS will come to Roll20 and I can start doing more GURPS stuff on Twitch. But...I'll have to wait, I'm afraid. I might do a work around where I create characters for the players on GURPS Character Sheet and just have them roll the basic 3d6 macro in the interim. But...for now I'm running things in systems that are better supported or easier to do with minimal support.

It is a shame because GURPS is my favorite system. One day!
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:11 PM   #4
Gollum

Oh, what a pitty! As a French fan of GURPS, I would love to watch such a campaign for GURPS.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:14 PM   #5
Gollum

I have found this new Actual Play. I didn't watch it until the end (yet) but it sounds very good and interesting.

https://youtu.be/SQzYGfyb9xs
Old 02-10-2020, 11:27 AM   #6
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
I'm gearing up to do a French Resistance campaign that I've wanted to do for decades. I originally wanted to do it in GURPS, but I'm going to end up doing it in FATE...for a couple of reasons, but one is that there is no official GURPS Roll20 support and I want a much simpler character sheet than the one that is up there now. And I'm not willing to use Fantasy Grounds.

Maybe one day GURPS will come to Roll20 and I can start doing more GURPS stuff on Twitch. But...I'll have to wait, I'm afraid. I might do a work around where I create characters for the players on GURPS Character Sheet and just have them roll the basic 3d6 macro in the interim. But...for now I'm running things in systems that are better supported or easier to do with minimal support.

It is a shame because GURPS is my favorite system. One day!
I actually run a game with one of the people who works on the GURPS character sheet on Roll20. What exactly is your problem with it? Just too complicated?
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 03:31 PM   #7
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
I actually run a game with one of the people who works on the GURPS character sheet on Roll20. What exactly is your problem with it? Just too complicated?
A number of things. First, because it doesn't have official support, skills and equipment, etc all have to be entered by hand. Lots of things can't be automated for the same reason. As a GM, you have to build your own macros because official support isn't there. Second, the sheet is 9 tabs. Yes, 2 of them aren't relevant to the player, but that is still 7 tabs. The sheet makes GURPS seem way more complicated than it really is and turns off players who don't know GURPS at all. And GURPS already has an undeserved reputation for excess complexity. At this point, for new people, it would be less intimidating and less work for them to just use GURPS Character Sheet at least they don't have to hand enter skill.

What I think GURPS needs is a) official support so you can get lists of skills, advantages and disadvantages, and equipment, b) a character creation Wizard like the D&D character sheet has to make character creation less intimidating and a bit easier, and c) fewer tabs so the player doesn't have to switch tabs a lot during the game.

People new to D&D look at the Roll20 sheet and it seems accessible and it doesn't make D&D look too complex. The GURPS sheet (partly because of the lack of official support), does not help me sell GURPS to new players at all. And not great for things like, guests players who only come in for one week.

I recognize how much work has been done on that sheet and the constraints that resulted in the sheet we have, but that sheet comes off to me as one for GURPS Veterans who are dedicated enough to hand enter a LOT of information every single time they are going to make a character. That's not great.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advertising, new players, performance, reputation, social media