Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-16-2024, 02:08 PM   #111
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Stating Jessica Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Loveshade View Post
It looks like that report was neither proven nor disproven by Newsweek, so it is possible. But Murder, She Wrote certainly had a very high number of famous guest actors.
Either it's a very old insurance dodge or it's a trope for some other reason but both Perry Mason and Peter Gunn had a lot of guest stars who were famous 20 years before they taped.

It might be spotting false patterns too. I'm pretty sure neither show had a list of "People who Are Going To Be On Star Trek!" but you could spot such peopel as you watch many years later.
Old 05-16-2024, 08:48 PM   #112
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
It looks like that report was neither proven nor disproven by Newsweek, so it is possible. But Murder, She Wrote certainly had a very high number of famous guest actors.

newsweek.com/fact-check-did-angela-lansbury-hire-golden-age-actors-union-parts-murder-she-wrote-1751111
Oh drat. I hate it when unsubstantiated rumors get spread, and here I am spreading one. I thought it was from a reliable source.
Old 05-18-2024, 08:08 AM   #113
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Oh drat. I hate it when unsubstantiated rumors get spread, and here I am spreading one. I thought it was from a reliable source.
It happens. And who knows, it might be true (I rather hope it is).

Before the Internet, finding reliable sources was usually pretty easy. TV network news programs, newspapers that had a fairly high to high circulation, and public libraries, were generally pretty reliable.

Nowadays....sometimes I have to scroll past the first 10 listings in an Internet search to find one that's not (insert expletive here). I worked as a journalist for years, and even I now struggle to separate fact from fiction.

Nowadays, to find the true story, you just about need a Jessica Fletcher....
Pyramid #4/4: Fantasy/Magic II! Add Sparkle To Your GURPS Game.
Top 12 Clues You're a Role-Playing Old-Timer My humorous (I hope) article that also promotes SJGames/GURPS
GURPS Fantasy Folk: Elves My first GURPS supplement
Alden Loveshade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 07:15 PM   #114
RyanW

Quote:
In later seasons, Lansbury was starting to find it difficult to keep up with the shooting schedule, and pitched a new format. A little less than half of each season's episodes would feature Lansbury only in bookending scenes, with the main story focusing on something else (an acquaintance of Jessica Fletcher, a story from her latest book, etc.). That's one reason for the many guest actors.

They may have tossed in a few that they were hoping would be ordered as their own shows.
Old 05-22-2024, 06:11 PM   #115
Astromancer

Could anyone come up with a list of skills for Jessica?

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 12:19 AM   #116
pawsplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
I'd start with

Acting-12, Administration-12, Area Knowledge (Cabot Cove)-13, Computer Operation/TL7-13, Criminology-12, Detect Lies-13, Diplomacy-11, Expert (True Crime)-12, Fast-Talk-12, Filch-10, Guns (pistol)-9, Literature-11, Merchant (Book Trade)-11, Politics-11, Public Speaking-12, Research-13, Savoir-Faire-11, Shadowing-11, Search-13, Sport (Skiing)-11, Stealth-10, Teaching-13, Writing (fiction)-13
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 02:43 PM   #117
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
What? You mean you don't want us derailing your thread?

Seriously, I see your point. Getting back on track....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
I'd start with

Acting-12, Administration-12, Area Knowledge (Cabot Cove)-13, Computer Operation/TL7-13, Criminology-12, Detect Lies-13, Diplomacy-11, Expert (True Crime)-12, Fast-Talk-12, Filch-10, Guns (pistol)-9, Literature-11, Merchant (Book Trade)-11, Politics-11, Public Speaking-12, Research-13, Savoir-Faire-11, Shadowing-11, Search-13, Sport (Skiing)-11, Stealth-10, Teaching-13, Writing (fiction)-13
I admit I haven't thought this through in great detail. But this looks like a good start.

Computer Operation: depends on the season. I think she was first learning to use a computer in about season 8. Before that, I would give her Typing at a good level--except it defaults to Writing so probably isn't necessary.

Criminology: I'd make this substantially higher, 16 or more. She solves crimes professionals have trouble with.

Diplomacy: Mixed feelings here. She doesn't always act Diplomatic, but it seems to work anyway. Maybe she's got Charisma?

Expert (True Crime): I'm not sure I know what this is. Don't know if it's necessary with Criminology and Writing.

Writing (Fiction): She's a highly successful writer. I'd make the skill higher, maybe 16.
Top 12 Clues You're a Role-Playing Old-Timer My humorous (I hope) article that also promotes SJGames/GURPS
Old 05-23-2024, 04:54 PM   #118
pawsplay

You don't have to be a good writer at all to be "successful." I gave her a 13 because I take it as a given she's a cut above the rest. But I'm not aware of anything on the show that ever happens that suggests she is incredible. She's popular, professionally successful, and writes well within one specific genre she knows well. I wouldn't give her a 16... despite being popular, I'm not aware of her getting Congressional recognition or anything. Writing-13, and a +1 or +2 reputation, plus her specific content knowledge of crime, should be more than enough to make her a nice living.

I think she does have Diplomacy but does choose sometimes to just go ahead and **** people off, because she'd rather be right than popular.

I don't think her Criminology is that high. Apart from spotty formal training, I think she relies just as much on Intuition (crimes, -20%), Detect Lies, Search, and so forth. Often, she solves a case based on some quirk or information that reveals the criminal has been lying.

Expert (True Crime) would be a general knowledge of methods of murder, famous cases, and journalism and writing about murder. Whenever she says she's doing research for her book, I assume she's improving this skill.
Old 05-23-2024, 09:48 PM   #119
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
You don't have to be a good writer at all to be "successful."
As someone who tutored/taught English/Writing from elementary to college level and who writes professionally, I would differ with that.

Quote:
I gave her a 13 because I take it as a given she's a cut above the rest. But I'm not aware of anything on the show that ever happens that suggests she is incredible.
According to Wikipedia, Jessica Fletcher is a best-selling author. Now the following numbers aren't exact. But there are thousands and thousands of professional writers in the United States (one estimate puts it at about 50,000). The New York Times lists a few dozen that currently have best-selling books.

So for about every 1,000 professional writers, there's about 1 who's got a best-seller. (Actually, I think the percentage is less than that. Again, these numbers aren't exact.)

By Basic Set p. 172, "Skills used to earn a living tend toward the upper end of this range (12 or 13)".

Now it can of course be argued that some of the greatest in various fields weren't full recognized until after their death (composer Johann Sebastian Bach, artist Vincent van Gogh, etc.) But personally, for game purposes I would put Jessica's Writing (Fiction) skill at significantly higher than 13.
Old 05-24-2024, 02:41 AM   #120
pawsplay

Quote:
As someone who tutored/taught English/Writing from elementary to college level and who writes professionally, I would differ with that.
As someone who reads books, I will die on this hill. Being popular requires passable writing, not good writing. Do you think JK Rowling became a best-seller because she's packing a Writing-16 skill?

Quote:
According to Wikipedia, Jessica Fletcher is a best-selling author. Now the following numbers aren't exact. But there are thousands and thousands of professional writers in the United States (one estimate puts it at about 50,000). The New York Times lists a few dozen that currently have best-selling books.

So for about every 1,000 professional writers, there's about 1 who's got a best-seller. (Actually, I think the percentage is less than that. Again, these numbers aren't exact.)

By Basic Set p. 172, "Skills used to earn a living tend toward the upper end of this range (12 or 13)".

Now it can of course be argued that some of the greatest in various fields weren't full recognized until after their death (composer Johann Sebastian Bach, artist Vincent van Gogh, etc.) But personally, for game purposes I would put Jessica's Writing (Fiction) skill at significantly higher than 13.
It says 12 or 13 is toward the upper end, and is used to earn a living. What does Jessica do, that requires a higher skill? When did she acquire this skill, considering she is a novice at being a novelist at the beginning of the series?Is there any reason to suppose she is a great (not good, great) writer other than being popular?

How many times has someone foisted a popular book on you that was drek? Everyone loves Timothy Zahn and I have very serious criticisms of them, both as literature, and as part of the Star Wars canon. Joel Osteen is a successful writer.

Has the show ever stated that critics have called her one of the greatest mystery writers of her generation?

Tags
crime, honesty, investigation, law